Thread: Caribou hunting from jet boat?

Default Caribou hunting from jet boat?

Going on a caribou hunting next year. Planned on a fly in hunt, but recently bought a jet boat. Any rivers a person can hunt caribou from with a 20' inboard jet boat? The river would need to connect with a road somewhere to get the boat in. The boat is fairly heavy and anything shallower than 12" (for a long stretch) would be tough.

As you have guessed I'm still in the planning stages and as a back up I might do the haul road hunt, but was hoping to find an area with less competition.

Thanks

Default trouble

thats what your asking for if you need 12" of water, the past few years you have been lucky to get 6", Pay the money and fly in, you will save a lot of wear and tear on you boat!

Just looking for a way to utilize the boat rather than paying a bush pilot. I'll resort to using the boat for moose and bear and flying after caribou and sheep/goats.

Thanks

I would second what Akhunter said. Pay for the fly in. The only place I know of thats easy to get to is the Haul rd and then the water levels drop pretty rapidly. With needing a foot of water your looking for trouble in the Ivashak/ Sag. I'm sure though if you do your homework you might find alternate spots. Good luck!

Question 40 mile herd??

You might research the 40 mile herd....hunting from the Yukon....maybe in the Yukon-Charley area. I've kicked the idea around, but it's not looking like I'm going to be able to make it happen any time soon.

Just an idea. Would take some more research/scouting, but may be possible.

AK_BigO

Last year a friend of mine and I hunted caribou with his jet boat on the Charley River (off the Yukon). It was a great trip. We put in at Circle, went upriver to the Charley. Camped on a huge sandbar in the Yukon and then went up the Charley. We planned the hunt around the migration by calling into the daily message line. We must have seen close to 200 caribou in the 3 days we were out there. We only saw one other group of hunters, they were floating out.

We also ran into two park rangers on the Yukon that harrassed us, had us open all of our game bags, went through our permits, ID, etc.

If you want more info, send me a PM and I can fill you in a little more on a really fun trip.

Default jet boat

I'm assuming since you need so much water that you don't have a tunnel hull. It may or may not be worth it to you to convert your boat to a tunnel. I know a couple guys in the Fbks area who have turned their boats into tunnel hulls with great success. If you're a decent welder/fabricator or know someone who is, it can be done reasonably cheaply and will make your boat much more useful for what you want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    Last year a friend of mine and I hunted caribou with his jet boat on the Charley River (off the Yukon). It was a great trip. We put in at Circle, went upriver to the Charley. Camped on a huge sandbar in the Yukon and then went up the Charley. We planned the hunt around the migration by calling into the daily message line. We must have seen close to 200 caribou in the 3 days we were out there. We only saw one other group of hunters, they were floating out.

We also ran into two park rangers on the Yukon that harrassed us, had us open all of our game bags, went through our permits, ID, etc.

If you want more info, send me a PM and I can fill you in a little more on a really fun trip.
    Very curious, as to how far up the Charley you were able to run? We ran up it aways one time, in July (not hunting), and only ran up about 20 or so miles. It was kind of like running the Talkeetna in July as far as river speed and obstacles. The Nation, Porquipine, Sheenjek, 40 Mile and sometimes even the Yukon itself is good for Caribou. You can also find them on the Goodpaster River. The Copper is good, up by Slana, if you have a permit. Slana is good as well, but not as fun.

We stopped when we got our limit, but we were 38.6 miles by the GPS from the Yukon. We both felt we could have run quite a bit further as we hadn't had any close calls at all. We had heard it might be tough going, but that wasn't the case at all. If memory serves, we were up there around the 25th of August last year. We left most of our camp on the Yukon and were traveling fairly light. Our only wish was that we had brought more fuel along. We would have liked to have run the Charley for a week or so, but the trip on the Yukon consumed more fuel than we would have liked and we could only spend a few days on the Charley before we went back.

Default Rivers

Would not recommend the Porci if you need 12 inches. We just got back from a trip up there and there were some pretty shallow spots. By the way if anyone sees Gerald Alexander of Fort Yukon tell him I said thanks for pulling me off the shallows.

I've heard the Charlie, Nation and Kandik can be good.