Thread: Handguns thru canada from u.s.

Default Handguns thru canada from u.s.

Is there some other way to get a handgun from the lower U.S. to alaska?
    Canada is not going to allow transport via there country.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

If you are flying take it along as checked baggage. If driving send it to yourself via FedEx or UPS. You cannot use the Mail unless you are an FFL holder.

Default shipping handguns

I'm in the process of shipping my handguns now so here's the scoop, you can't ship a handgun unless you have an FFL which I didn't so you have to have someone with a FFL ship it to another person with a FFL, you will be charged for the transfer fees so depending on how many handguns it can be quite spendy as I'm paying $160 for four handguns. If you have any more questions send me a private message.

As Allen said, you can ship them to yourself via Fedex or UPS. But the overnight fee's may be more than the FFL fees and USPS charges.
    Personally I would opt for having them shipped thru the Post Office and a dealer because they are easier to collect from if you have any insurance claims.
    Whatever you do, Do NOT try to sneak them acorss the border.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by thunder chicken1
    someone with a FFL ship it to another person with a FFL, you will be charged for the transfer fees so depending on how many handguns it can be quite spendy as I'm paying $160 for four handguns.
    Technically speaking, once an FFL holder in the State of Alaska logs these handguns into his/her logbook, he/she cannot legally transfer them to a non-resident.

I wonder if a person could ship the handgun via a ferry and then pick up once I'm there......I'm driving.
    I'm taking a couple of long guns but I don't want to carry a long gun on my back while I'm fishing.

Default resident

Did I forget to mention I was a resident? Even if I didn't the gun dealers here never asked if I was and I spoke with a couple to get a better deal on the gun transfer as some quoted me $50 per gun and one quoted me $40 per gun. I would suggest instead of asking on here speak with your local gundealers and then speak with a gun dealer where your going so then you'll know for sure you have all the info you need. I had no problems having mine shipped from an out of state dealer to a dealer here in Fairbanks. But I can assure you that if you try and ship it to yourself the postal service, ups, or fed ex will not ship it unless you have an FFL, you can only ship a rifle or shotgun without one. Oh yeah, when you go through the Canadian border do not tell them you are a handgun owner because they WILL search everywhere for a handgun because they assume every handgun owner is trying to smuggle their handgun through to Alaska, trust me they tore our truck apart!!!!

Ok, I've figured it out. Why don't I just buy a used handgun when I get there, use it, then just before I go I can pack it full of grease put it in a waterproof container, bury it it the ground. I can use my gps to place it and then find it when I go back?

Default canada

pointblank, sometimes canada will let you transport a revolver with a 6" or longer barrell under certain circumstances but you will have to check with them on the proper paperwork, I would just call the dept. in charge of the firearms and explain your situation and then they can give you your options and send you the correct forms to fill out wich you'll have to do for your rifles anyway. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Default Canadian Firearms Info Link

Here is a link for info on Canadian rules and regs that you may find handy:

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/

I had a few clips that were illegal in Canada while I was driving up last month. They took about 3 hours to process and search the $%^# out of my trailer and truck. They found nothing "else" illegal but they were punks for doing so. I told them I had a handgun, but that I had mailed it. They grilled me like I was a criminal. I had called the Canadian Firearms Center, or whatever it was called, about 5 times and they never told me about the clips. They allowed me to go back into the US and mail the clips back to myself. **** Canadians piss me off! I say we annex Canada.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Not to run this topic into the ground but I find documentation that says one can transport a handgun thru canada but when I call the cfo they said there is ONLY two ways for a lower 48 american to move a handgun thru canada and that is if one is relocating to alaska or if one is going to a shooting match/competition.
    You can't take it thru if your intent is to hunt or for self protection.
    Does not make sense to me but there it is.
    U.S. should have purchased a "RIGHT OF WAY" from canada when we bought alaska from russia.
    The way it is I guess canada can make travel to alaska as inconvenient as they want for americans.