Thread: 270Wby/150gn TSX Combo?

Default 270Wby/150gn TSX Combo?

I'm thinking about loading up this combo in my R93. As I need a load that can perform Texas-heart-shots out to 200 on big deer when needed.
    I encounter this sort of shot time & time again, but until now have not thought about taking such a shot.
    The cal(308Win)I have ATM is not up to such a taste IMO. Perfect standing broadside shots yes, & when the situation is near perfect no sweat.

Is this 270Wby/150gn TSX combo(25.5 barrel) worthy of such a task? And would you recommend this combo for a Texas-heart-shot on large bodied deer like Elk, Moose etc?

Or should I just get myself a 9.3x62/250gn TSX's & never look back?

My shots are mainly between 50-200 yards. In mostly forest areas with the occasional 300 yard across gully shots needed.

TSX will not fail you and they really work. In my 257WBY, 300WBY and 416WBY that is all I am using. I like them but there are other great bullets out there.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Why not...

use your namesake, the .340 Wby? No matter which one that you choose, those Weatherbys are sweet-shooting rifles! Besides, with the .340 Wby you could perform an "Aggie headshot" from 300 yards, no sweat.

Cheers,

IceKing02

The 270 Wby will make those shots with no problem. I have never used the TSX bullets in mine, but I have made shots alot further than 200yards with great results on big whitetails.

I have as many doubts about the 270 WBy for buttshots on elk and moose as you do about the 308 for hineyhits on deer- no matter which 270 cal bullet is used. There's no magic bullet design that's going to make up for the light 150 grain weight. If you're going to be poopshuteshooting anything big go for long, heavy, slow expanding bullets.

Default Why not the .340 Wby with 250gr TSX...

Unless you're smarting from the recoil of the .340Wby why not go to the 250gr TSX and crush just about anything that walks, crawls or swims on the North American continent.

Traded my 340 some time back.

Just ordered some 150gn TSX's. At 3200fps it's going to dig-deep at any angle I'm tipping.
    I'll let you know how it gels