Thread: re-power diesel engine

Default re-power diesel engine

I have a 26` Osprey that needs a new diesel engine. Any suggestions in the Anchorage area to have a new one installed?

Default follow up

Am looking for a Volvo Penta D-6/310 or 350/dpr

Quote Originally Posted by dipnet View Post
    Am looking for a Volvo Penta D-6/310 or 350/dpr
    friend of mine has a pair of 350 in his boat. faaaast for a 34' and that much draft. They've been reliable over the time he's had them. the only drawback for his particular setup is it doens't go slow enough to troll salmon without messing with engine settings when you get there.

Odie's Marine on Camelot.....

I'm thinking you have a 41 volvo in there now?? What you going to do with the old engine & drive? A friend of mine put in a D-6 this year & wow what a differance in giddyup & go but at over 42grand for the engine & extra controls & props its a LOT of money & he did all the work(install) himself. Have you considered having your engine rebuilt?? The only place i would even consider having that done is a Coastal Marine down in Seattle. I fish commercialy in PWS(gillnet) and the fleet has lots of 41's in it & almost all of the ones that have been rebuilt in Seward or Cordova have had problems shortly after the work was done. I'm guessing a total rebuild would come in at aprox 15grand. Its pretty easy to remove the engine from the boat & put it back in. I've done mine and it took aprox 2 hours to get it ready to lift out and aprox the same time to drop the new engine in. The D-6's require a lot of transom work, glassing in a new size hole for the transom sheild & the engine beds have to be altered also. Its going to get pretty expensive if you don't have the time & knowledge to do that work yourself. In closing i wouldn't trust any of the local guys to work on my engine or outdrive. I have 5000hours on my engine(41p) and the drive has just over 7000 hours on it & thats because none of them ever touched my stuff. PM me and i'll tell you some nightmares that my private mechanic has found in stuff done around here.
    PS check out boatdiesel.com for loads of insight on 41's & D-6's

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Re-power

There are some darn good marine techs in the Anchorage area, but I can't recommend any particular shop to do that job. I'm with Potbuilder on this one and would have the work done in Seattle or Portland. Especially, since it's inboard diesel. My point of view on this is based upon 20 years experience performing marine diesel service. Volvo's are big $$$ to rebuild. Probably better to purchase a new engine.

It's so easy to damage things while working on those small fiberglass boats. It's important to go slow and be very conscientious while performing that type of work. Plus the whole safety thing is a big issue. I don't want my customers to have any mechanical issues while out on the water.

Default re-power

Thanx for the insight. I actually have the KAD44 and "have been told" that it is the same size as the D-6 and should just plug and play. That would be nice--but I agree with you guys about some of the local talent. Maybe I`ll just park it and use it as a planter.

Whats wrong with your engine ?? who told you its the same fit ?? ask them for the pattern for the cutout in the stern and see if its close to what you have. I think the d-6's hole is wider and lower than the one for a 41 but i'm not sure about the 44's. I'd bet you'll be close to 50 grand for a repower. thats for a complete package, engine & drive, it scares me just to think of it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default Shoulda bought a Cummins . . .

All diesels are expensive, and potbuilder is in the ball park on the rebuild - $15K (+/- 20%), and that's if you do the in/out. And the foreign diesels are even more expensive . . .

Local support can be an issue too . . .

Default Get A Deere Marine

There's several to choose from, the 4045 or the 6068 depending on what you need. Great local support and quality is unsurpassed. Wilkies would do it or PM me if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by bwake View Post
    There's several to choose from, the 4045 or the 6068 depending on what you need. Great local support and quality is unsurpassed. Wilkies would do it or PM me if you want.
    They are great engines but turn to slow to hook up to a outdrive. Thats why you got to use those fast turning modern diesels on a drive. High RPM's = shorter engine life, those pistons only got so many ups & downs in'em.
    I wish i could use a GM 6-71 in my boat, they ran forever.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default Sterndrive

The Mercruiser/Cummins partnership has developed some nice diesel sterndrive combinations in the QSD and QSB family.

Default Osprey Diesel Repower

I agree with the previous post to check out boatdiesel.com for recommendations on anything involving marine diesels. Its worth the $25 to get access to all the previous posts. Also, check out Yahoo's Osprey group for recommendations: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Osprey_Boats/

There are a lot of knowledgeable folks running Ospreys on this board (I have a 26 LC myself) so check it out. Be sure to check clearances for any changes in power. My 350 gas Osprey has no room to spare so suspect the D-6 would be a tight fit. Nothing is ever easy with even a minor change on swapping something out on a boat, so be very careful with an I/O swap with different hull cut-outs, engine mounts, engine access points, etc.

Good luck.

If I'm not mistaken, the cutout on the 44 is the same as the 43, and a completely different outdrive than the new D4's and D6's. My dad is looking at yanking the 41 out of his 31' Neptune and putting a D6 in it. It'll take some transom glassing to make it work. Not to mention some $$$.

Default D6 Size

I was just looking at a new Seawolf aluminum last week with a D6 in it, and it seemed like a huge motor to me, way longer and wider than a 44, but I didn't measure anything or have anything to compare it to.