Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats youre opinion on a 3006

Question whats youre opinion on a 3006

im thinking of getting a 30/06 for hunting i would use for both moose and caribou.

Default Should work just fine, but...

For most cases, that should be fine for both moose and caribou.

I personally decided to go with a .338 for my hunting rifle. It works great for moose and caribou, but gives that little extra punch in case I need it for a bear that comes across my kill or into camp. Some people think the .338 kicks too much, but with the technology these days (muzzle breaks and such) it isn't a problem. Also, the kick is only an issue if you shoot a lot. I only intend to fire one or two shots a year, so I don't mind a little kick. I am not taking it to the range and putting 10 or 15 rounds through it every year unless I have a reason to believe it is not still sighted in (i.e. it has been bumped or hit against something).

Quite possibly the most versatile rifle for Alaskan hunting. You simply cannot go wrong with a 30-06, particularly for moose and caribou.

If I didn't have one already I'd buy a new one, or a slightly used one as there are plenty out there. For moose I use the Hornady Light Magnum ammo, flat shooting and has knock down power. The 150's would work on caribou also. Recoil is gentle, others may want to deter you to something bigger because of little **** syndrome. Shot placement is key as to shooting any large animal.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Thumbs up

30.06 Is a GREAT rifle for ALASKA

Default It was my only rifle

for many years. I'd take an '06 hunting for anything in Alaska to this day if I didn't have any other options. I have a 35 Whelen now in case I need something a bit bigger, but the '06 is still my favorite.
    At the Silver Fox roadhouse between Delta and Tok they have pictures on the walls of buffalo killed over the years with captions that give a bit of information about each hunt. I'd say more of them were killed with an '06 than anything else. That should tell you something.

Thumbs up Long live the 30-06!

It fits my definition of a great hunting round. Cabable of taking any game in North America. With todays bullets and powders it is not the same round it was as recently as 25 years ago. I will never be with out a Mod. 70 Featherweight 30-06. Get one!

Default 30-06

I'm a recent convert to a 30-06 from my tried and true 7mm. The 30-06 is generally smaller & lighter and with modern over the counter loads you get great performance. I shoot Federal High Energy 180 grain Nosler Partitions and it has worked worked great on sheep and caribou. My wife also shoots a 30-06, she uses 150 grain Remington core-lockt... however on Wednesday I went to the range and now have her shooting my bullets because this past spring and fall the critters did not immediately tip over.

Soap Box:
    I am a big believer in shooting my rifle before every hunt so that I know for a fact it is shooting where it is supposed to. Reason #1 Practice makes perfect. Reason #2 Why go through all the time, money, & sweat to find a legal animal and then miss because the gun wasn't shooting straight. There are very few things on a hunt that you have complete control over.... go shoot your gun.

Default Can't go wrong with an 06

I resisted the 3006 for many years because it was what everyone else had but as I got older and hopefully wiser I began to realize why it was so popular, its the greatest cartridge ever devised. None of the new fangled Wissums, Saum's, and UM's do anything it hasn't been doing for 100 years. To celebrate its birthday I built a rifle which is to be my main hunting rig. Win stainless action, PACNOR 3 grove 22" featherweight profile barrel, McMillan Edge Featherweight pattern stock, Williams 1 pc bottom metal, Leupold VX3 2.5-8 scope zeroed at 200 yards. Shoots Barnes 165 TSX pushed by Ramshot Hunter powder into less than 3/4 inch groups at 200 yards when I do my part. The great thing about the 06 is its versatility. Match the load to the game and with anything from 150 -200 grain bullets it gets the job done, does't kick like a mule, ammo is available anywhere and doesn't cost $60 a box so you can afford to do some practice shooting if your not a handloader.
    Last edited by AKJD; 10-19-2007 at 16:25. Reason: spelling

Default 06 is Awesome

Every hunter needs to own an 06 in his/her lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by MARV1 View Post
    Recoil is gentle, others may want to deter you to something bigger because of little **** syndrome.
    Are you a mind reader? I would have thought that some might recommend something bigger because they truly enjoy shooting larger calibers, and wanted to express that thought. Do you own any firearms larger than 30 caliber?

Default Great all around rifle

I have hunted this great state for over 25 years and all I carry is my 30:06. Its a tack driver and I have faith in it. From Dall sheep, Mountain Goat, Caribou, Moose, Sitka deer, Bison, black bear, it has done well. I have never shot a brown bear cause I never wanted to eat one. I would not hesitate to use the 30:06 for brown bear. This is my take on this caliber. Its all I need. BC

Its tough to ever beat a 30-.06. Its been the gold standard for 100yrs. akraven

Default Tried and true

I used to hunt with a model 94 30.30 Winchester when I lived in Southeast. It seemed like the perfect brush gun for deer. Then I moved to the Dillingham area and noticed that people used to '06 for a variety of game. I bought one and it has been my main stay ever since (23 years). With the appropriate load, it will do well for caribou or moose or blackbear. And though I have never used it for brownies or sheep, I bet it would do well for them as well.

I have had the chance to hunt with a .308, .243, .270, and .375 HH, and a few others, but nothing seems to shoot as well, or feel as comfortable as my model 70 Winchester. It is fairly heavy, but kicks mildly. My friend had an old BSA '06 which was nice and light, but kicked like a ******* in spite of muzzle porting.

Default .30-06 is tops for 95% of Alaska hunting

The .30-06 is an unsurpassed caliber for Alaska, or anywhere in the North American continent. The only thing I would recommend a bigger rifle for in Alaska is the big bears.
    Whatever you choose, shoot it and shoot it until it is second nature to you, and shoot good bullets. 150 to 180 grainers are excellent for moose and caribou if you use a premium bullet, like a Nosler Partition. I shoot 160 grainers in my .280, and have killed a number of caribou and moose with it. I use 150 grain Noslers in my .30-06. Never failed to take moose or caribou clean.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

killled every big game species in alaska with it, and a few grouse.

Wink The Right Tool For Many Jobs.

It"s all you need with the right bullets choices, at ranges that big game animals should be shot at.For the 30-06 fan try to get your hands on the book, (One man, One rifle, One land) by a man ,last name Jones. He killed all kinds of game animals in north America, good book, well reserched, lots of pictures! He took all the big game with a plain jane 06, Remington 700 ADL, and handloads It may be out of print, but your library search service can help there. A must read for 30-06 fans! Bill PS you will come away with new found respect for the OLD cartridge!
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default grew up on the /06

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Every hunter needs to own an 06 in his/her lifetime!

Are you a mind reader? I would have thought that some might recommend something bigger because they truly enjoy shooting larger calibers, and wanted to express that thought. Do you own any firearms larger than 30 caliber?

I grew up shooting my .30/06 but it wasn't until about 8 years ago that I bought my .300WM. I have taken many moose with it, plus caribou, seals, beluga whales. If the animal gets away from me then it was my fault for missing it, never before has one walked away wounded and lost. Out here you learn to shoot well because if you don't, you don't get to eat.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default Not sure about the light magnum ammo

30/06 has been around and is a proven round. However, I don't think the light magnum ammo is. Good link with some info. Something may have changed since this came out, but I think I'd stay away from the light magnum stuff.

http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/jul96price.html

Exclamation Can't go wrong with a 30-06

I used one when I was younger. Then the last dozen years or so I have packed a 375 H&H. This year I decided to take a 30-06 on a moose hunt just because it had been so long. Ended up taking a 7'3" Griz with it. 1 shot 1bear. Its just works.. Most important- what ever you get- get comfortable with it.
    Enjoy the great outdoors!

Default ruger

I grew up with a sporterized springfield in the house. It got stolen a long time ago, and my brother and I replaced it for dad with a Winchester 670. That gun is 31 years old, never been shot, and now belongs to my daughter.
    I set up a Ruger M77 MKII for my son with a 2.5x8 vari X III and a rubberized sling. The stock was cut down to fit, and we ported the barrel. I liked it so well I bought a matching rifle except for the porting. He has grown up, like boys tend to do, and we stuck a Hogue stock on it. I do like the feel of it a bit better than the Ruger OEM stock.
    Someday all 3 of us will be in the field with our 06s. My .300 wm will probably never come out of the safe again unless the boy wants to try her out. And yes, my wife did take it pretty well when she came outside and my son and I were holding matching rifles. I do love that woman!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast