Thread: King Fishing Techniques?

Default King Fishing Techniques?

I need a little help from the knowledgeable King fishing crowd. I have been salmon fishing for 10 years and to be honest with you my method that I have always used is one that was showed to me the first time I ever went. In the last three years I have had a river boat and I have so many questions about what other guys in boats are doing. I fish the standard three way swivel with pencil lead and a leader with spin n glows, corkys, balls and then roe wrapped in mesh on the second egg loop. A guide was telling me the other day that I would have caught 40 fish in the hole I was fishing if I were fishing with a bobber where as we caught 1.. Then he proceed to tell me I should backtroll, backbounce, and boondog or something. I have always caught kings using my method but have had days where they are in the holes but I cant make them bite. I see some guys anchored, some guys just staying in the current with the motors help and other guys drifting. If someone could explain to me what some of these other methods are and enlighten me I would greatly appreciate it.

Bobber and bait:

Do a search on a tutorial I put up a few weeks ago. The guy asking about it hit 15 bobber-downs on his very first try. If you are gonna park the boat, this is an excellent technique that I would recommend over the standard stationary bottom-bouncing/driftfishing technique employed by the typical shore angler.

Backtrolling:

Hold the boat steady against the current at the top of a likely looking run. Freespool a diving plug ( Kwikfish, Mag Wart, Mag Hot Shot) behind the boat 40-50 ft and engage the reel. The plug will imediately dive to the bottom. Now cut the throttle a bit, continuing to motor against the current but allowing it to let you slip downstream slowly under power. Keep working your way downriver thru the entire fish-holding slot. Best to keep the rod in a holder to prevent premature e-jerk-ulation. WAIT for the rod to bury and the line to strip from the reel before jumping for the rod.

The same technique can be used with a diver and bait (+/- a Spin-N-Glo, Cheater, or Corky depending on water conditions.

The technique also works well from a driftboat.

Backbouncing:

Similar to backtrolling bait except get rid of the diver and replace it with enough lead on a short dropper to get to the bottom while motoring against the current as above. Could be as little as 2-3 oz to as much as 10 oz depending on the depth and the current speed. Pick up the weight every second and immediately set it back down, keeping in continuous contact with the bottom. Pretend you are lifting the lead about 1/4" with each lift and immediately set it back down... DO NOT LIFT TOO HIGH. it's not really "bouncing" per se.... more like mobile plunking along a slow dowriver path. If you don't touch bottom with a distinct THUD of the lead, freespool just enough line to touch. If you let out more than 3-4 feet of line and still don't touch, your lead is lying on the bottom and you are merely feeding more line belly to the current.... immediately reel in and make contact with your lead again. If you can't tell where your lead is in relation to the bottom, reel all the way in and start over... much better than snagging up.

Let the fish eat till the rod loads up and you feel the weight of the fish before coming back with a strong hookset.

Boondogging:

Also known as free-drifting or dragging bait. The boat free-floats while baits are cast upriver. Much less weight required than for backbouncing... use just enough to bounce bottom every 3-6 ft. When a fish grabs, it's pretty obvioous as the boat is moving downriver at a good clip... line comes tight, rod tip dips one or twice, then a violent headshake, and line starts to peel.
    Last edited by fishNphysician; 07-10-2006 at 21:32.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Here's a little photo essay as evidence that all these methods produce under the right conditions...

Bobber and bait:

Backtrolling:

Backbouncing:

Boondoggin':

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
    The KeenEye MD

Fish Doctor,
    Would you mind reposting your bobber technique? I looked for about 30 minutes and couldn't find it.

The KeenEye MD

Default fishNphysician

Thanks for the detailed info will have to give some of those techniques a try, maybe this year still, but for sure next season.