Thread: Electronic Caller Suggestions???

Default Electronic Caller Suggestions???

I'm looking at buying an electronic varmint caller to use this winter. Anyone have any suggestions on a good brand or model.

Thanks

Phantom makes some awesome calls. http://www.phantomcalls.com/

Default Second that

I second the choice of a Phantom. I have an older model but works great. Alot of electronic callers are more geared for the lower 48 but most work up here you just have to be selective of your sound choices. Make sure you atleast get a snowshoe in distress mouth call. great sucess with that call along with the electronic. Also dont forget to get a decoy. Look at the Mojo predator decoys. Good luck

The Foxpro FX3 is the only electronic caller that I can recommend, since it's the only one that I've bought and used. I'm still looking for my first critter to kill with it so I can at least try and justify the almost $500 I paid for it.

Depends on how much you want to spend. The Hunter Specialties Preymaster digital caller is very diverse and easy to use. There are about 20 different sound cards to fit all types of game. It usually runs about $100 - $120. However, the downside is the speaker is on a 50 ft. so the critters will be focused on or near you when they come in. If you are willing to pay 4x that, any of the Foxpro callers are good. The speakers are remote and can be set more than 100 yards away (some of the higher end ones over 300 yards.)

I have the HS Preymaster and like it. BUT, I predator hunt in Pennsylvania and use a shotgun and a headlamp for foxes and coyotes along brush fields etc. If you are hunting in more open areas, the Foxpro would probably be the way to go.

Make your own. Search the net and with an MP3 player, a little amp and a speaker you can make one way cheaper and they usually are a better call. I'll see if I can find the plans I used and post them.

Oh man, do I feel sorry for you! Once your bit, there is no turning back..I have 2 electroinic callers and about a dozen mouth calls...and it all started so inocent!.Why so many? You cannot go into the same areas and use the same calls all the time, critters are smart. Time of the year will dictate what sounds you want to use. I use a Westren Rivers and a Phantom to set up, usually a couple howls from each, wait a few minutes, and either use a mouth call or one of the electronics and do some food calls, then back to an electronic howl, either one seems to work, so sounds like more then 1 yote..drivesem nuts!! Good thing about Westren Rivers, you can put what you want on it from your home comp.,take the sounds in and out as you please, either from the disk with the machine or off the web..its in mp3 format. Both elec. are remote units, the phantoms is larger, westrens can leave you guessing at times, Just starting out and can only aford 1 call..I'd go Westren Rivers, my prefrence, order from Cabelas....Good Luck! Desertdog

check out Wildlife Technologies hands downs the best digital sounds mine holds 250 sounds they are alittle spendy but well worth it

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Phantom makes some awesome calls. http://www.phantomcalls.com/
    I'll second that opinion, I used one of their calls last year in AZ, called a Mountain Lion in to 18 1/2 yards & shot it with a 44 mag handgun. The calls work....
    Old Cowboys never die, they just keep riding the Range.

Deerhunter: Where do you get the sounds?

wildlife technologies is the best..

A little spendy! WT is way too spendy. Can you only get them direct? Do they throw in a gun for that price?