Thread: .22 semi-auto pistol scope?

Question .22 semi-auto pistol scope?

I'm thinking about putting a pistol scope for my Browning Buckmark .22 on the Christmas list this year. Any recommendations on what would work and would be a good match for the style of handgun? I mainly shoot grouse/ptarmigan/rabbits and targets out to around 30 yards.

I'd like to stay away from anything very bulky if possible.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I'd go with a dot scope. The smaller the dot, such as those used in Bullseye shooting, the better for under 50 yds. Since you're putting it on a .22, you should be fine with a cheaper one-<$100.

I agree from the cost and bulk standpoint, but also for eye relief. Conventional handgun scopes vary in eye relief depending on power and brand. You can be required to get into some pretty awkward shooting positions if eye relief gets too short, which gets complicated in field shooting, especially if you need to shoot quick. The dots solve this, especially if they have little or no magnification while the dot is small enough for small targets.

Ive had the dots and scopes. The dots are fine for plinking. But more often than not, the dot always covered up the heads of small game. Or I just desired some magnification to thread the shot through brush. Also, maybe it was just me, but everytime I had the dot set to its smallest setting, it was really frustrating to hunt around for it in the scope. It was pretty hard to see on a sunny day. I had a few things get away on me cause of the valuable seconds I wasted looking for that dot. I had a millet 2 MOA red dot scope.

So for my hunting/target gun, I use a nikon monarch fixed 2 power.

If all your shots are under 30 yards, maybe a dot wont be a bad choice for you.

But, I find myself shooting at all reasonable ranges. the scope works great for everything.

The scope does add more bulk and weight though. I keep mine on a weaver base with quick detach rings. I keep the scope with it while snowmaching, 4 wheeling, but take it off for hikes.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll have to take a look at the "dot" scopes. I was originally thinking of going with a traditional scope, but maybe I will have to widen my horizons.

Any particular brand/model that outshines the rest?
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default sights

I have two scopes I have used on my smith and wesson 22A. I have a knock off of the military M68 CQB sight that has a red and a green dot in it. The dot size is adjustable so it wouldnt cover the whole head of a bird. I also have a BSA Holographic sight with 5 different reticles in it. Both were very inexpensive sights and are suitable for everything you need to do with a 22 caliber pistol. Although the M68 is a very heavy sight the BSA is so light it doesnt even feel like there is a sight on the pistol. I would recommend the holographic sight because of the different reticles you can choose from. I like to use the circle with the crosshairs in it and it works perfect. PM me if you would like to see pictures of both sights. Thanks and good luck

Thanks bowtech...I just ordered a BSA holo sight from www.midwayusa.com for a mere $30 (plus shipping). They are on sale right now and normally are $99. The reviews of this model (#399922) look really good so I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

Thanks again for the recommendation.
    AKmud

Yeah, the holo's are a great choice for reduced weight and bulk for field carry.

Here's a trick for small targets and oversize dots: Sight in for bullet impact at the top edge of the dot rather than the middle of it. Then you just cut the small target with the top of the dot and you're home free. For larger targets and fast shooting just use the dot normally, but when the target is small, aim fine and make the shot.

Same old, same old as with a gold bead front sight on a rifle. You can't find a gold bead small enough that won't still cover a deer completely at 100+ yards. But if you sight in to hit the top edge of the bead you can make closely aimed shots a lot further than that. Bead, dot, doesn't matter. Just be thoughtful in how you sight in and how you aim.