Thread: Grouse experiment

Thumbs up Grouse experiment

So, there I was wondering what to do with the breasts from 13 grouse we got last weekend.....

Experiment time!

I thinned the breasts slightly by filleting a small portion off the underside of the breast leaving me with breast meat about 3/8" thick (I pan fried the other pieces).

I seared the breasts on both sides for 15-20 seconds in hot oil first. Then I made up a spread of butter and finely chopped fresh garlic. I put a small amount of the spread on the inside of the breast and rolled it up as tightly as I could without tearing the meat. I then wrapped a piece of bacon around the roll and pinned it with a toothpick.

So far, so good....now off to the grill.

I grilled them quickly and basted them with the rest of my butter/garlic spread each time I turned them.

The kids were skeptical at first, but they disappeared so quickly I had to grab the last few before they were all gone!!

Now I just have to come up with a name for this concoction!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I think you have a winner, I would have done just one more item to the mix. I would have added cheese before I rolled them and that would have solved the name problem.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    How about Grilled Butousic?

Or with cheese ~ butousiceese

Anyways, sounds delicious
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Yum, I'd add a slice of jalapeno, to keep the kids away of course.

You go and add any hot stuff around my gang and it works just as well for keeping them away, as a honey drip for hungry bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    You go and add any hot stuff around my gang and it works just as well for keeping them away, as a honey drip for hungry bears.
    LOL, Well then, you'll just have to get more grouse.

Default I smoked my last batch

I first injected the breasts with a croele butter then wrapped with peppered bacon. Then it was off to the smoker using alder chips. Smoked for three hours. PLaced in hot oven for 45 min (400 deg). I then sliced all the meat off and pored a black pepercorn gravy over all meat and served. I even left every heart in each bird and served with the rest none was left after kids and wife got to it.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Your lucky nobody ate their hands off licking the gravy. I hope that recipe doesn't get around, Ruffs will be on the endangered species list.

Default The gravy was really good.

I dont think alot of people will put the time needed into this recipe. Let me tell you that it was well worth it. Actullay come to think of it, it was easy. I cant wait to try this with ptarmigan.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Ptarmigan, Roast and baste with Kitchen bouquet and a brown gravy mix and you are there. Do not pass go, do not collect.....

These birds really do well in the brown basting bags.

That bird is hard to mess up, unless you fill them full of shot.

.22 LR and ptarmigan, the perfect combination.

Mud, that sounds great! I'm assuming you were addressing spruce grouse.

One thing that we need to be aware of anymore in these threads is that there are several species of grouse in Alaska, and, what I do with a spruce grouse is not the same thing I'd do with a blue or a ruffed.... excepting that, I have enjoyed eating them all out of a frying pan.

Still, I am going to keep this recipe in mind for the next ptarmigan I kill. It honestly sounds awesome for the red meat birds!
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Wink Naming rights

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    I seared the breasts on both sides for 15-20 seconds in hot oil first. Then I made up a spread of butter and finely chopped fresh garlic. I put a small amount of the spread on the inside of the breast and rolled it up as tightly as I could without tearing the meat. I then wrapped a piece of bacon around the roll and pinned it with a toothpick.

Sort of like Chicken Kiev (but with grouse) meets a pig.

Call it: Spruce Pig Kiev a la Mud

Bacon, butter, garlic and fresh meat...Cant go wrong!!!

Default popper...

I like to chunk the breasts up, add a water chesnut and/or jalepeno slice, wrap with bacon and use toothpick to hold together. Bake at 325 or so for 15-20 min or so then add favorite BBQ sauce cook for awhile long to thicken up sauce. works on campfire too... just had some tonight! Yumm!
    <*)))><