Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to Fairbanks

Default Back to Fairbanks

Well back up to Fairbanks again for the cow moose. Supposed to snow so there should be fresh tracks. It is gonna be four days of nothing but hunting.

Dan - Shoot me a PM with the phone number and I will get over to pick up the maps. Are you still in the same appartment? I lost part of a day and had to thaw out last time up as I fell thru a bogg up to my chest abut 4 PM in the afternoon. It was nippy.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default 3" and getting deeper

Yep, it is snowing finally. Roads as you can guess are slick. We should have more by morning. Good luck.

Dan's out of town, had to go to WI to get his dose of Cheese and Brauts. Snow is falling but I've been seeing more moose move in in the last few weeks, should be good for ya Dave. I leave begining of next week for KS and fall turkey, so I won't be around either.

Good Luck!

Default I might wait another week

I will probably just wait one more week before I make another run at it. I want to give them plenty of time to start moving around some more.

Snowing good this morning. have a good 2 inches in North Pole. Supposed to be snowy most of the day and then turn to flurries. There should be lots of fresh snow around to make fresh tracks even easier to find.

Been seeing a couple cows the past two days PM me if you want a bit more info.

Default Darwin theory driving

It is amazing this time of year people can't remember that last year they went through the same thing. So they have to do it all again and bend up cars, slide in ditches, and hit guard rails. A buddy told me about a chain reaction accident he managed to just stay out of. It was like one of those movies with the freight train coming up behind you.
    Most will get smart in a week or so, but use caution as the learning curve is stll steep.
    I know you are coming to hunt, but there is a gun show at UAF Saturday and Sunday if you want a place to thaw out.

Default 2 inches

I am from Valdez. Two inches of snow here is not even worth mentioning. Two feet we moan a bit. One year from Dec. 26th to the 28th we had close to ten feet.

But it is good for tracking. Thanks for the update.

Dave I come down there a lot over the summers. My dad has a boat that he is retired on down there. I bring my wife and kids often to have long weekends. I will have to look you up for beer and a story when i get down there next year.

I am DYING to get there for some spring black bear hunting.

Default In Fairbanks

Dave,

If you need any help let me know. I live in Fairbanks. I am always happy to help a fellow hunter out.

Matt

Default Will do.

Will do. Have the ATV loaded. Staying at NP at a friends place so have a 17yr old football player to help too if need be. Hopefully I will need lots of help.

Thanks.

Exclamation Hey Dave....

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Will do. Have the ATV loaded. Staying at NP at a friends place so have a 17yr old football player to help too if need be. Hopefully I will need lots of help.

Thanks.
    Snowin pretty hard now and loooowww visibility....drive safe brother.

well good luck.Its snowing right now and we have more than 2 in' here in NP.But If your in the neighborhood stop by and say hey.Daniel

Default rookies

Not you we are worried about brother, it's the rookies out there. Just take your time and be safe. Lots of help here if you need us. And we work cheap!

good luck!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I am from Valdez. Two inches of snow here is not even worth mentioning.
    It's worth mentioning because it has made the roads slicker than snot. And that 2" is now upwards of 4", and getting deeper by the hour. Drive safe.

Dave,

I'm in Mn hunting deer. Have shot one first nite out....had a big big buck this morning cloooose.

Wont be home till nov 1 sorry.

Default Tough moose

I think I have taken around 37 whitetails, half with the bow. So why are these little moose kicking my butt? Ten inchs of fresh powder, temperatures hovering around zero most of the day and nothing but people getting in the way.

Next day found some tracks where they had been feeding and started walking. Took the ATV in some trails and walked back in from the trails ends. Nothing. Re-did the area and the moose were walking in my tracks. (Probably behind me laughing!)

Next day, colder, more tracks, and again walking in my tracks. Around 30 hours and not one moose sighting, running off, busting away, nothing. It was a little tough seeing though as the snow stuck to the trees and with any brush along the wood lines it was impossible to see far at all. Toss in some fog, ice crystals, squeeky snow and I might have enough excuses.

Day four - decided to kill a credit card and shop.

One last chance in November!

Default This weekend...

I am hoping to get up for 3 days this weekend. I know the feeling. Last time up, whenever I entered an area with fresh sign, there were never any moose again in that area for the rest of the trip (maybe I need a shower....???). Hopefully things will change this next time. I will let you know.

Default Looks like my dad and I

will be going around thanksgiving for any bull. Last year heard of a lot of moose by Fox. Dad shot his moose on the way out of town heading home. He had seen some bulls but had the cow permit. We have been out to NP and Chena Hot springs road never see moose. We hunt Creamers field and areas close to there. Always see moose but the wrongs one at the wrong time. Lots of people go there but there are places we go that we have all to our selves. PM me Dave if you want and I will spill the beans, atleast you will have more options. I am hoping to tag a moose and my dad. I would like to help some of those military families that didn't get any meat. But I have never taken a moose in fairbanks so I am due. We always have fun. Stay in a hotel, eat out most meals. No nagging women, no bugs, and lots of hunting. Oh and with the daylight getting shorter, we get to sleep in a lot too.

Default darn it

Dave, you are not making us "Golden Hearters" look very hospitable. And we hate looking unfriendly. Guess I may have to go out and grab a cow for you and hang onto her until you can make it back.
    Did you try out Murphy Dome road? Sometimes the hills really work. There are lots of side roads to take look at. Goldstream also seems to have sign around a lot too. Head down into the valley off some of those side roads. You can always stop at Ivory Jacks for a burger, and then end up out at Fox for dinner.
    The only cow I have seen lately off of Chena Pump was being drug up on a trailer after getting hit by a car. Only saw a couple of tracks out behind the airport.
    Sounds like you stayed dry this time though. Bet that was nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast