Thread: Petersville

Question Petersville

Am looking for a Saturday trip. This summer I made a trip out to Petersville and took a left at the Roadhouse. Crossed the bridge and rode in around 12 miles. There were 7 machines and for some reason only a few winches and lots of mud. Late in the day a nasty mud pit stopped our progress and we called it a day. I am thinking about heading up that way again. Anyone have some insight. While I am not planning on doing it this weekend, I have a friend who said there is a good rountrip to Petersville on this trail. He said it is pretty tough and 80 miles total. Any Good info on Petersville riding appreciated!

Default Black Creek Trail

We started out on this trail 2 or 3 weeks ago, just like you with seven machines. After a while one of the group started looking at his GPS and watch rather strangely. It seems that at our current pace it would take the rest of the day just to reach Dollar Creek, leaving the road portion of the trip to be done after dark. We turned around and did an out and back on the road instead.
    Now the water and mud holes are probably frozen over so it would be a lot easier (and faster :-). Although you might run into snow....
    Mike
    (it was a nice ride)
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default Angel Lake/kahiltna Trail

That's the direction you're attempting and, yes, its' a muddy MoFo. I seriously doubt you'll want to press the issue further, especially since you can run a snomachine so soon once it starts to freeze up. Go to the left and (maybe) try some of the traills that split off to your right.

Thanks Gents,

I am riding somewhere tommorow so I may as well head up that way. No sense waiting as I don't have a snowmachine (yet). Will let you know how it goes. Has anyone ever done the loop? Unless there is quite a bit of snow, I doubt it could be done quicker that right now. I like any trail that I don't have to backtrack on and would appreciate any insight into this loop.

Mike

Finally made this trip. Was hoping for hard ground but it was to warm. Best trip I have ever done on an ATV.

Took a left at the Roadhouse and had a pretty tough 16 miles to Dollar Creek where we linked up with the Petersville road. Then It was a fast 20+ miles for some beer at the Roadhouse. Guess the trip was about 7 hours. Would have been longer except we had a Polaris Razor w/ lift kit that was awesome and did majority of the winching as it was only stuck once. Great trip with awesome views.

I've done it a couple times in the summer never in the winter I had a blast made the whole loop both times ran once forward and once backwards "taking the road first and the trail second much easier." I am waiitng to put the tracks on and go there this winter any new news on the condition since it's been so cold and still no snow down here?

Default More info.

Quote Originally Posted by Barlinator View Post
    Finally made this trip. Was hoping for hard ground but it was to warm. Best trip I have ever done on an ATV.

Took a left at the Roadhouse and had a pretty tough 16 miles to Dollar Creek where we linked up with the Petersville road. Then It was a fast 20+ miles for some beer at the Roadhouse. Guess the trip was about 7 hours. Would have been longer except we had a Polaris Razor w/ lift kit that was awesome and did majority of the winching as it was only stuck once. Great trip with awesome views.
    I'm resurrecting this thread. I'm planning on heading to Pville on July 10 or 11. I snowmachine quite a bit out there and have been on the trail to the right of the roadhouse all the way to Dutch hills. But I've never stayed with the trail and headed NW. I usually jump off the trail after the bridge and ride around in the foot hills there.

I see on a topo map and from discussions on this forum that you can do a trail out (left of the roadhouse) and road back loop or vice versa. How muddy is or can be the trail to the left of the roadhouse be?

I have a 2010 Ranger 6X6, buddies will have a MudPro, Honda 400, AC 700, all with winches and either 589's or Mudlites. This is a wife, kids, and dogs trip so looking for some good advice. I know I can do 23 miles or more on the road to the left of the Roadhouse, but would rather not backtrack. However, the wife will only put up with so much winching. Planning on a day trip. Can the loop be done in 8 hours or so.

If anyone has any maps, waypoints, pics of the mudholes or any other info that I can make a decision off of that would be great.

Also, what kind of weather has the area been getting? Is it really wet, really dry, in between, etc.

Thanks in advance.

We are planning to do the ride this Saturday. Park at pull off by kroto creek and take off and try to do the loop. We wiill be doing it in two rangers. I have heard when u take the trail tonthe left of the roadhouse it is a by mud pit and rough going. So I hope someone who has dne the ride can pipe in. I like hitting mud and having fun but the family can only take so much winching before the are burned out wanting to go home.

Default Cool

323, definitely interested in what you find please post some info when you return.

Same here with the wife and kids. Going 25 mph down a gravel road for an hour isn't much fun and then backtracking isn't fun either. BUT, getting stuck every 50 feet may be fun to me, but my wife will get out and walk her self back to the roadhouse and have a drink.

Will definately post after the trip. I do know at the roadhouse hang a right and will take u all the way to cache creek and on. From the looks on the map this trail loops all the way back to the roadhouse. But from what iheard rhis back section if the trail is a doozy and muddy. My wife the proffessional picture taker will probably take plenty of pics of this.

Default Yeah

I know that from Kroto creek parking lot you can go at least 25 miles on a gravel road if you stay to the right of the roadhouse. I've not been much farther than that. And I've never been to the left of the road house.

I did a search on "Petersville" in the ATV forum and there are several threads discussing the trails. Mostly weather, but some like the one I quoted have some good intel. Do a search and read up.

Sounds like it might be a good idea to head to the left of the roadhouse and get the 16 miles of mud out of the way early in the day and then come back on a nice gravel road where you can make up some time and then stop in at the roadhouse and have a beer and burger. I always stop at the roadhouse when snowmachining and its a decent place and good people.