Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dan Wesson .44

Question Dan Wesson .44

I just picked up a SS Dan Wesson .44 with 5" barrel in excellent condition.

I have never owned a DW and I can't find a model # on it. Any info on this gun would be great. Good or bad.

thanks

kingfisherktn

Don't know about the SS model, but I got a blued version way back when it was first released. Undoubtedly the most accurate 44 I've owned before or since. I've got a couple of really accurate ones now, so that's saying something. All these years later, I still feel stupid about letting it go.

Fit, finish and build were excellent on mine, so I'd expect the same of yours.

It's a beautiful gun, doesn't appear to have been used much at all. It was also too good of a deal to pass up.

thanks

kingfisherktn

Question Dan Wesson .44

Any more info out there?

kingfisherktn

Default Dan Wesson

I used an 8" DW .44 in the late 70s for some silhouette shooting. What BrownBear says is correct. A very accurate gun due to the tension on both ends of the barrel using the shroud system they had. The front and rear lock-up on the cylinder helped too. A very strong gun. The forcing cones were known for having a sharp inner edge, an abrupt end to a short throat. There were problems with the early Hornady truncated .357 bullets coming apart due to that, but no problems that I know of with the .44. The grip was at a poor angle for some people, but I really enjoyed using mine. If you can locate some different shroud/barrel combos, it can be a very versatile firearm. One thing to remember is to set the cylinder/frame gap to the tightest chamber by rotating and checking each chamber position in battery. Don't overtighten the front shroud nut either.

Default Mauser

Thanks for the info.

kingfisherktn

If you're interested in buying new barrels and shrouds, contact CZ usa, they still support the Dan Wesson line of revolvers, even though they're not in production any longer. Dan Wesson IIRC only makes the Super Mag now.

Default AK Stick,

Thanks, I can use that info too.

kingfisherktn

bump to the top

They are the worst pistol out there! You should hand it over to me for proper disposal.

Just kidding they are great pistols. I seriously doubt you will ever be able to wear one out.

I have never seen a model number but know they came in blued or stainless and had interchangeable barrels. Yes the wooden grips were a bit uncomfortable after shooting a bit.

Seriously thought if you decide to sell it or want to trade for a 454 let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    They are the worst pistol out there! You should hand it over to me for proper disposal.

Just kidding they are great pistols. I seriously doubt you will ever be able to wear one out.

I have never seen a model number but know they came in blued or stainless and had interchangeable barrels. Yes the wooden grips were a bit uncomfortable after shooting a bit.

Seriously thought if you decide to sell it or want to trade for a 454 let me know.
    Bronco, it came with Pachmayr grips which are quite nice. Don't plan on selling, I think it's possibly the best $350 I've spent. Besides it will go well with my .480 & .454.

thanks

I agree you did get one heck of a deal for $350. Those deals never seem to fall in my lap like that.

My dad had the same pistol while I was growing up and I always tried to take it off his hands. A few years ago he moved and sold off 3/4 of his guns along with it. Can you believe he didn't even call me first? I did not find out till two years after the fact.
    He sold off that Dan Wesson, a colt Trooper Stainless in 22lr, Colt Python drilled and tapped for a scope in 44 mag with the bear foot print engraved on it, Remington Sendero stainless 25-06 with a leu 6x12 IIRC, Detonics 45 that had been worked on a bit, Belgium Browning High Power, AMT automag in 22 magnum, and who knows what else. Those were just the ones I had been eyeballing since I was a kid.

Talking

I agree you did get one heck of a deal for $350. Those deals never seem to fall in my lap like that.

My dad had the same pistol while I was growing up and I always tried to take it off his hands. A few years ago he moved and sold off 3/4 of his guns along with it. Can you believe he didn't even call me first? I did not find out till two years after the fact.
    He sold off that Dan Wesson, a colt Trooper Stainless in 22lr, Colt Python drilled and tapped for a scope in 44 mag with the bear foot print engraved on it, Remington Sendero stainless 25-06 with a leu 6x12 IIRC, Detonics 45 that had been worked on a bit, Belgium Browning High Power, AMT automag in 22 magnum, and who knows what else. Those were just the ones I had been eyeballing since I was a kid.
    Yeah Bronco, I made your Dad a deal he couldn't refuse.

kingfisherktn

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Yeah Bronco, I made your Dad a deal he couldn't refuse.

kingfisherktn
    Yeah keep rubbing that one in kingfisherktn and I will tell your wife you don't think about her when you want the next new toy!

Wink

Yeah keep rubbing that one in kingfisherktn and I will tell your wife you don't think about her when you want the next new toy!

OOOOPPPPPSSSSS.

kingfisherktn

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    OOOOPPPPPSSSSS.

kingfisherktn
    I knew you would see the light! LOL.

Wink

I knew you would see the light! LOL.
    Bronco:

Actually over the years we have developed a good understanding in re: to buying toys; I don't questions what she spends her play money on and she doesn't question me on what I spend my play money on. The only questions that arises is she thinks I have more "play" money then she does. My answer is always, "I make more money than you!" But it is all friendly banter.

You also need to read Pat MCManus "How to buy a gun: Without your wife finding out" Hillarious-I'll send it PM.

Article was too big for PM--sent email instead.

kingfisherktn
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 10-27-2007 at 06:45. Reason: added info

I think they called the blue .44 the 44. The stainless was 744. I pulled mine (an early blued, before they made the stainless) out of the safe and I don't see any model on it. I think they also included the barrel style in the model. 44VH for vent heavy, etc.

I've got the "combat" grip on my 44. Smooth wood with finger grips. Plenty fat to spread out the recoil. They also sold an inletted blank that you could carve yorself.

Default Was a favorite of mine

I lost mine last year on my boat. I was going halibut fishing in Homer and set it on the boat gunnel and forgot it until I got to Homer. It was the 4" barrel. I had 3 .44's, and that was my favorite. I still have the 8" barrel and scope mounts that I might as well get rid of now, cause it doesn't look like mine is going to show up.

$350 is a great price! It seems that some people don't know the value of these revolvers. I bought one for $450 eight years ago. Very accurate gun. You'll need the barrel nut wrench/tool and gap tool. All available from CZ as are the barrrels. You can also use a jewelers watch wrench from Harbor Freight to remove the barrel. I've since purchased two other barrels for this gun. My favorite remains the eight inch barrel with solid steel underlug. It takes a lot of the recoil out. I picked up a .357 with an eight inch barrel locally for $300. Looked unfired! Go figure. Have used the jewelers wrench to remove the barrel. For more information go to the Graybeard Forums. There is a Dan Wesson revolver group there. Some info available at the CZ forum where there is a Dan Wesson group...although that one is mostly 1911. Google Dan Wesson and you will find other sources.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast