Thread: Just bought a scope from Cabelas

Default Just bought a scope from Cabelas

First time buying a scope from them. Doing Christmas shopping early. They had free shipping plus I had a rebate from a deer hunting issue of cabelas. So that knocked another $25 off the price. Plus you get a free Luepold lens pen right now. I bought a Luepold 3.5X10X40 for a cetain someone to put on his certain ruger .338. I have the exact one on my .300wm and love it. So it ended up costing me $444.99 shipped to my door with the free shipping and lens pen. I am a happy christmas shopper I must say. Just thought I would pass on the info. Not sure if free shipping is the norm for scopes or not. Plus I will get the points with cabelas card to save more money on my next purchase.

I also buy my scopes from them when they are on sale. Card holder myself.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default 3X9 bushnell sportview, MOA @ 500 yards, 22$ ebayed...

450$ is what I average a month in income...so When I shoot for groups at 500 yards with the mini {M} 14 stainless ranch rifle, I fire two shots [I know how to shoot, reload/micrometer on every round, 223 remington]. The bushnell holds its zero. More stuff on shooting:Believe my M 14 trigger is 7 lns plus/so what. Yep, all my firearms are box stock [my Russian SKS I shimmed the recoil lug with several .012 beer can shims/like that], but I shoot reloaded ammo and ++tweak that considerably++ since my first lee cast 113 gr flat nose bullet and IMR 4227 powder back in 81...chopped argentine 1909 mauser rechambered to 30 06 @ 70 dollars lay a way fresno ca Kmart. Like that quality/German/1909. Yea. I got 16 lbs of W680 back in 2000 from I believe it was BartletT in Ohio for the 7.62X39/155 gr lee cast [Harris designed bulletGC] and the 223 55 gr FMJBT military vietnam surpluss bullets/ 8$ a lb. Oh there is a limit to how much y o u can buy/posess...do not exceed. Any way, last Sunday, Sept 07, using my improvised 20 inch high X 36 inch long X 10 wide [carpenter/sometimes] saw horse and 8 inch rolled up carpet I go 2 shots spaced 5 inches apart/55 gr and say 9 inches lower and 2 inches right ditto for 62 gr. The cases were mixed military lake city winchester mfg 85 thru 90,s mfg. The big deal here was the rest used [I have used over the backpack prone type shooting/similar results] pull rifle into shoulder/bedding down [firmly] into the pack and fire at will... Oh, your 17 gr W680 power scoop [lee says shake level once for theirs] is 38 super case, unsized and trimmed to say .845 " . Thats with a simple twisted tight at the case's extractor groove stainless linemans wire for a handle [what is that diameter , about 1/32 inch?] Figure 2800 fps for 55 gr, good case extraction [not if your rifle is brand new, drops em at your feet or fails to eject first round cold barrel], rounded primer edges and say 2650 fps plus for 62 gr [don t go outa your way to get these 'better ballistics' morebetter/more expensive mil surplus bullets unless your felling really mean], flattented primer/significatly high pressure loading. Reason is in a later 10 to gusting 15 mph cross wind both bullets got blown astoundingly right 15 to 22 inches of the 30 gallon metal trash can with the blaze orange 1 fot square duct tapped across the front. I confess I did hold level with the top of the can with the trusty ebayed 3X9 Bushnel sportview/23$/Mini 14 ranch rifle [stainless steel] and the bullets landed 20 inches below the bottom and 4 inches right of center/Ah thats looking back at the ridge from the center of can and cutting down with knife to bullet impacts in the slope I was on. Is that bright at 500 yards? 3 clicks left [1/4 " at 100 yrds] and 10 clicks up. Thats doable. So is the 4X4 on string with the 7 lb tomato can nailed to the bottom [I like that/don t blow all yur ammo off/got 22 ruger auto? a B l a s t/40 yartds with 38 special...125 gr 6 gr unique] More stuff on Hunting:
    FMJ Grey Squirrels/Weaverville Basin Bloody red pancaked once across the autumn forested slope. Seconds before the stainless Ruger held the Grey Squirrel fatally suspended 40 feet up on the digger pine branch facing my position, the Bushnell’s (Ebay, 20$, sighted in with boiled linseed oil on all mounting surfaces/absolute necessity/dries gummy) 6x sportview centered on the crouching center of mass across the steep gully between us. His sporadic barking outbursts silenced as the left hand pulled the loop of the leather military slinged 223’s rifle butt into my shoulder while the right hand perceptibly tightened on the pistol griped stock. Momentarily concious of my trigger finger nearly pulling the full weight of the 7 1/2 lb rifle, our eyes now locked in mortal ernest for what could have been eternity, I am abruptly stunned with the arrival of the semi autos recoil and muzzle blast of the 55 gr. projectile’s launch (win 680 surplus 18 gr.) at 2800 feet per second, with only one unbeleavably swift after image retaining the instantanious explosion some 45 yards distant, or is it just my imagination... Head up, I Immediately glimpse the vacant limbed perch and pine tree and then frantically capture the questionable win of the dramatically crimsoned forms' midair tumble just above ground. No finishing shot here, game over. The continuing midmorning sun warmes all and forested quiet moved only by acorns and leaves falling resumed its progression as I recovered the final seen. Absolutely lethal.

Great price on a very good scope. I picked one up on e-bay that had been fit with target turrets for about the same price.

As to the bushnell sportviews, I've had them in 4x and 3-9x, and will not own one again.

If you have a gun capable of great accuracy, it needs a scope that will aid you in placing your shots and holding up to recoil.

Default Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by parkerlarry1 View Post
    450$ is what I average a month in income...so When I shoot for groups at 500 yards with the mini {M} 14 stainless ranch rifle, I fire two shots [I know how to shoot, reload/micrometer on every round, 223 remington]. The bushnell holds its zero. More stuff on shooting:Believe my M 14 trigger is 7 lns plus/so what. Yep, all my firearms are box stock [my Russian SKS I shimmed the recoil lug with several .012 beer can shims/like that], but I shoot reloaded ammo and ++tweak that considerably++ since my first lee cast 113 gr flat nose bullet and IMR 4227 powder back in 81...chopped argentine 1909 mauser rechambered to 30 06 @ 70 dollars lay a way fresno ca Kmart. Like that quality/German/1909. Yea. I got 16 lbs of W680 back in 2000 from I believe it was BartletT in Ohio for the 7.62X39/155 gr lee cast [Harris designed bulletGC] and the 223 55 gr FMJBT military vietnam surpluss bullets/ 8$ a lb. Oh there is a limit to how much y o u can buy/posess...do not exceed. Any way, last Sunday, Sept 07, using my improvised 20 inch high X 36 inch long X 10 wide [carpenter/sometimes] saw horse and 8 inch rolled up carpet I go 2 shots spaced 5 inches apart/55 gr and say 9 inches lower and 2 inches right ditto for 62 gr. The cases were mixed military lake city winchester mfg 85 thru 90,s mfg. The big deal here was the rest used [I have used over the backpack prone type shooting/similar results] pull rifle into shoulder/bedding down [firmly] into the pack and fire at will... Oh, your 17 gr W680 power scoop [lee says shake level once for theirs] is 38 super case, unsized and trimmed to say .845 " . Thats with a simple twisted tight at the case's extractor groove stainless linemans wire for a handle [what is that diameter , about 1/32 inch?] Figure 2800 fps for 55 gr, good case extraction [not if your rifle is brand new, drops em at your feet or fails to eject first round cold barrel], rounded primer edges and say 2650 fps plus for 62 gr [don t go outa your way to get these 'better ballistics' morebetter/more expensive mil surplus bullets unless your felling really mean], flattented primer/significatly high pressure loading. Reason is in a later 10 to gusting 15 mph cross wind both bullets got blown astoundingly right 15 to 22 inches of the 30 gallon metal trash can with the blaze orange 1 fot square duct tapped across the front. I confess I did hold level with the top of the can with the trusty ebayed 3X9 Bushnel sportview/23$/Mini 14 ranch rifle [stainless steel] and the bullets landed 20 inches below the bottom and 4 inches right of center/Ah thats looking back at the ridge from the center of can and cutting down with knife to bullet impacts in the slope I was on. Is that bright at 500 yards? 3 clicks left [1/4 " at 100 yrds] and 10 clicks up. Thats doable. So is the 4X4 on string with the 7 lb tomato can nailed to the bottom [I like that/don t blow all yur ammo off/got 22 ruger auto? a B l a s t/40 yartds with 38 special...125 gr 6 gr unique] More stuff on Hunting:
    FMJ Grey Squirrels/Weaverville Basin Bloody red pancaked once across the autumn forested slope. Seconds before the stainless Ruger held the Grey Squirrel fatally suspended 40 feet up on the digger pine branch facing my position, the Bushnell’s (Ebay, 20$, sighted in with boiled linseed oil on all mounting surfaces/absolute necessity/dries gummy) 6x sportview centered on the crouching center of mass across the steep gully between us. His sporadic barking outbursts silenced as the left hand pulled the loop of the leather military slinged 223’s rifle butt into my shoulder while the right hand perceptibly tightened on the pistol griped stock. Momentarily concious of my trigger finger nearly pulling the full weight of the 7 1/2 lb rifle, our eyes now locked in mortal ernest for what could have been eternity, I am abruptly stunned with the arrival of the semi autos recoil and muzzle blast of the 55 gr. projectile’s launch (win 680 surplus 18 gr.) at 2800 feet per second, with only one unbeleavably swift after image retaining the instantanious explosion some 45 yards distant, or is it just my imagination... Head up, I Immediately glimpse the vacant limbed perch and pine tree and then frantically capture the questionable win of the dramatically crimsoned forms' midair tumble just above ground. No finishing shot here, game over. The continuing midmorning sun warmes all and forested quiet moved only by acorns and leaves falling resumed its progression as I recovered the final seen. Absolutely lethal.
    I thought for sure some rusty baling wire would be in there some where? And yes, a 55 gr. bullet out of a 223 would be lethal on a tree squirrel.