Thread: Tough planning

Default Tough planning

I've been trying to arrange to get out to Kodiak in Dec to hunt deer. So far nothing is panning out in my favor. Ferry schedules won't jive with my work schedule, limited units open to hunt during Dec., etc.
    does anyone have any suggestions on where one might go after deer without the great expense of flying in. I've looked into Montague, Naked island and the others in the area but have yet to find anyone in Whittier that is available.
    Gunup1

Boy, that sounds like a real problem. I remember offering detailed advise on who to contact (and how) in order to learn more about PWS deer population status when it was requested (http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=20028), and I only asked that the findings be shared with the entire group. Yet, they weren't. It gives the impression that some are seeking to receive lots of help, but not willing to reciprocate.

Default got it the first time

I recall the previous reply with the contact info attached. I have yet to find out anything on the deer numbers. I am first looking into whether or not my schedule will time with the transportation to and from. If I had looked into the deer numbers, I would certainly have shared with the rest of the group. I don't appreciate the tone of your reply (Cazador). It seems that you are quick to take a stab at someone when given the chance, but then maybe you meant well and that is just your way of helping out a fellow hunter.
    Gunup1

December?

The weather is not going to cooperate either.

I've been there.

I have found that seldom will everthing fall into place. I usually have to schedule plenty of time off, plan to pay the maixium for everything, (air fare, ferry, motels, even stove fuel, etc). Plan on weather delays and all costs associated.

For a December hunt, many operators will refuse to boat or fly you into many of the PWS islands and you are subject to delays of a week or more coming or going to camp on Kodiak.

As you mentioned, some units are not open to hunting...

If it was me I think I would put my efforts into a fall hunt next year.

If I happen to be in Kodiak and get a couple of days of good weather I sometimes join a buddy in a quick hunt but anything else is too effie to spend money on.

Sorry, the news isn't better.

why not fly out to kodiak? when you factor in gas to homer and back plus 2 ferry fares its about the same price
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default bag Kodiak this year

Decided to fly out to Sitka and do some hunting in that area. I've spent many years there prior to moviing to the valley. When I get back, hopefully I'll have some info and photos to share. To those gambling on Kodiak, best of luck to you.
    Gunup1

Default Kodiak

Now through Thanksgiving is the time to be on Kodiak. December is tough with shorter days and the bucks are hornless. I have always flown to Kodiak for deer hunting. You could check with some air charters there to see if they have room for you. Andrews Air is good. Good luck. BC