Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed: Cutting Down a 375 H&H

Question Advice needed: Cutting Down a 375 H&H

I am in need of some good advice.....I am considering two different 375's right now, a whitworth and a CZ550. Either way the barrels are way too long...one is 25". I am considering having it cut down to 21", maybe even 20".

Ok so say I do get it cut to 20" or 21", how much do I lose ballistically? I know there is someone out there who has good #'s.

Thanks...

Default 375h&h ???

I have a Whitworth with a cut barrel, depending on powder you'll loose 100-150fps not enough that any game animal will know.

The new 375 Ruger Alaskan has a 20" barel and will beat the 376 H&H by 200fps using Hornady ammo.

INHO The 375 Ruger is the way to go, the H&H is on a downward side.

DR B

I have a model 70 375 H&H cut and crowned right at 20". It is a real pleasure to shoot. I really like the balance and short length. Oh yea, this guy didn't notice the small loss in velocity
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I have a 20" 375 H&H and have found the average velosity loss is closer to 75-100fps depending on powder used. Even factory loads are generally pretty close and the FPS you lose won't matter on game. THe handling of a shorter lighter rifle will.

Default Barrel length

My .375 that I never hunt with has a 21.5 inch barrel. I am not a big fan of short barrels. They don't point as well for me when shooting off hand and you get increased muzzle blast and loose some velocity. If I had a .375 that was going to be my main hunting rifle it would have a 22 or 23 inch barrel. The barrel contour would be important to me. I like the 23 inch barrel contour on the .375 Ruger Hawkeye African or what ever it's called. But a 20 inch .375 and the right load has plenty of power for anything in Alaska. For me I guese it comes down to how much time I plan on spending looking in the alders for a Brown Bear. Once you cut it off it is gone forever. Have you considered cutting off an inch at a time and shooting it for awhile? I probaly will never make it to Africa but my understanding is the Pro's don't share America's passion for short barreled bolt guns. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by DR B View Post
    INHO The 375 Ruger is the way to go, the H&H is on a downward side.
    Hmmm.... That'll be the day! The H&H is a classic and the bar by which all other .375 calibers are measured. The H&H has been at the top of the heap for decades and isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I'm not saying there aren't advantages to other rounds, but it's pretty bold to predict the demise of the venerable H&H (IMHO). It seems quite similar to predicting an end to the 30-06 because of the introduction of the .30 T/C.

Default Shortened 375

FWIW: I shortened my Sako AV barrel to 21.5 right out of the box.

Here are some instrumental velocities over the chrono:

73 R15 260 Partition 2670 FPS
    77 760 300 Partition 2540 FPS

Both used Winchester brass an Fed 215 primers. Temp was around 80 degrees.

Not sure how these would have changed at 23" which was factory stock.Really don't care...they are fast enough for any hunting I plan to do with a 375 H&H.

I have a 20" barrel on my .375 H&H. I like the handy feel of the rifle, and I don't think I would want a longer barrel. A friend of mine had his chopped to 21", and that rifle handles well too. With either rifle, I can shoulder-sling it, and the barrel doesn't snag on brush or alders.

In fact, I am thinking of chopping my .338-06 from 25" to 22 or 23" just because I like the way my .375 handles.

Quote Originally Posted by akav8r View Post
    Hmmm.... That'll be the day! The H&H is a classic and the bar by which all other .375 calibers are measured. The H&H has been at the top of the heap for decades and isn't going anywhere anytime soon. I'm not saying there aren't advantages to other rounds, but it's pretty bold to predict the demise of the venerable H&H (IMHO). It seems quite similar to predicting an end to the 30-06 because of the introduction of the .30 T/C.
    Agree with you. The .375 H&H is a classic cartridge, and the base to all other .375's. There are several faster .375's out there, but most hunters and shooters' upper limit in recoil-before it becomes uncomfortable-is in fact the .375H&H, and that's the main reason why this classic cartridge will always outnumber faster ones.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    Agree with you. The .375 H&H is a classic cartridge, and the base to all other .375's. There are several faster .375's out there, but most hunters and shooters' upper limit in recoil-before it becomes uncomfortable-is in fact the .375H&H, and that's the main reason why this classic cartridge will always outnumber faster ones.
    I don't think the H&H is the base for the 375 Ruger, 378 wby, 375 RUM, 375 dakota, all which exceed the Old 375 H&H.

DR B

Quote Originally Posted by DR B View Post
    I don't think the H&H is the base for the 375 Ruger, 378 wby, 375 RUM, 375 dakota, all which exceed the Old 375 H&H.

DR B
    You are correct about these cartridges design. Some may not have a belt, and most are larger. But the base I am referring to is "imitation and surpassing its ballistics." Every one of those other cartridges is an attempt for creating a better .375H&H, and that's why each one is compared to the .375H&H in every gun article published today. Weatherby started the trend long ago with the .375 Weatherby, but still, it has never caught with the .375 H&H in relation to popularity, and it probably never will, perhaps because the average person doesn't like the added punishment to his or her shoulder and pocket. Factory ammo for the .375H&H is much cheaper, and found just about any gun store in Alaska and probably in Africa. Not so for the others.

Something else I just thought about: the bigger cases not only produce more recoil and are more rare and expensive, but produce a greatest blast when fired. Cut that barrel down to 20" or so, and that greater noise level will be closer to the shooter's ears.

Default Actual Numbers

Had a gunsmith that using the same rifle and loads cut and recrowned the same rifle after chronographing loads at 28" down to 20". Total (yes TOTAL) loss of velocity was 20 fps. From 20" to 19" there was another 25 fps loss. From that data I would say not to shorten your 375 HH barrel to less than 20". Final length any greater than 20" should depend on personal preference and gun's final balance.

Haven't you heard?? The 30-06 has been dead for years - killed by the .308 as I recall :-)
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Mark

Most of my rifles have been cut back to 20" barrels.

Generally, you will lose about 50 fps per inch chopped off.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Odds are, yer gonna lose a bunch.

How much you lose will depend on the rifle, the load, etc.

My 280 Remington hadda 20 inch barrel for many years, but recently when I had it replaced with a 26 inch barrel, the velocity increased, (Generally) 200 fps. I haven't made any extensive tests.

I consider, that 20 inch barrel to be absolute minimum, and it came that way from the factory.

By gum, I wouldn't go to less than 22 inches for any other rifle, ceptin my thutty-thutty, even for a 375, or a 338.

IMO, you just lose too much velocity, and I don't like the extry muzzle blast, kneethur.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Question question?

Outside of the reason (pleasant to carry), wouldn't it make more sense rather than go thru the effort and expense of lopping and crowning to come up with a lesser rifle (depending on who one believes), just go buy a lesser rifle to begin with that's pleasant to carry? Just curious?
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

It doesn't cost much to get a barrel re-crowned. I've had 5 done so far. I doubt if it would cost much more to have the barrel lopped off first.

Now, if you're gonna have to re-mount and/or re-height, the front sight, that's some more money there. I can't say how much.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I have a .375 RUM that I had chopped down to 21".... I loaded up some 300gr Barnes TSX's using Reloader 22... It was all over the paper. So I tried a little faster burning powder (H4350) and started getting a lot better groups. There isn't a whole lot of load info out on this round so it's a whole lot of experimenting for me. Hopefully I find enough time to work up a good combo in the rifle! Good luck...

- Clint

Default Archive information

I ran a thread this past spring regarding cutting my Savage 338 down from 24 to 20...the shooting guru's spent much time talking about the advantages and disadvantages and some good stuff on the theory behind it.

The thread was called "cutting rifle barrels"...if I was more savvy I'd link it...but no can do.

Anyhoo, My cut and crown plus williams sights ran me just over 200 bucks and I am pleased as can be. I lost just over 100 FPS and factory ammo gave me decent groups at 100. It's definitely louder, but with a good recoil pad I don't think it whops anymore than it did at 24 in. And it created what I believe is the perfect bush gun for up here...it's light, smooth, and stainless/synthetic. I put quick release rings on it so I'm always on target one way or another. A lot of these discussions are opinion, but I am extremely happy with my gun in this configuration.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have a win mod 70 375 H&H with the 24" tube + 2" muzzle brake............ It now lives in my closet and never sees the light of day except for an occasional trip to the range. It's long, its heavy, its loud, and I didnt know what I was doing when I asked my gun smith to add that muzzle break. One of these days, whet it works its way back up the old list of priorities, I will take it to Andy Hawk and have him hack the barrel down to 20" and throw the muzzle break away! Of course it will still be heavy, but it wont be as long, and not nearly as loud! My advise, hack her down to 20"........ what good is a rifle that is too cumbersom and unwhieldly to carry?!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast