Thread: Fly-out for ptarmigan

Default Fly-out for ptarmigan

A buddy of mine had read about someone getting flown across cook inlet and hunting for ptarmigan and now he wants to do that next fall. Does anyone know of a flight service that does that sort of thing out of Anchorage, Kenai or Soldotna. I believe the one he had read about even had bird dogs. He cannot find the article or we would know who to contact. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Andy

Default West Side Ptarmigan

Check with All Alaska Outdoors (Bob Ledda) He caters to bird hunters. I believe the number is 907-262-HUNT, just google All Alaska Outdoors.

Default Thanks KenaiJay

Thanks KenaiJay,

I'll try to get in touch with him. Thanks for the help.

Andy

Default ADN article

Andy,
    I remember when the artcile was in the ADN. It was about someone who likes to take his dog ptarmigan hunting on day fly out trips & would welcome anyone who wanted go along & listed the approximate cost. I wish I could find it as I would like to try it as well but I don't think it was the website link posted. I know it was over $100 per person for the flight but it wasn't anywhere near the prices on the link.
    If anyone remembers the article or the air service mentioned hopefully they can post it.

I don't know the contact for the article you mention.
    But....
    I'm a pilot myself. Mostly you land on the high ridges above treeline. Between Mt Spurr and Beluga Lake is where I have been.
    For wheel planes it's already too late for this year. 6 to 8 inches of snow up there already. Snow starts early back there. It snowed 4 inches in Beluga this morning.
    Better find someone with skis.

Default Ptarmigan info

Thanks for the info guys. AKMarmot, I believe that is the exact article that my buddy had seen. If anyone can locate it, I would appreciate it.

Wetland Retrievers, thanks for the heads up on the snow. I am thinking it will have to be next fall before we give this a try.

Thanks,
    Andy

Default Not too late yet.....

Can still land on big tires there as of today. Snow is getting a little heavy, but there are fellas around with wheel skis. (Me in a week or 2). Ask around the local airport and you'll probably find someone who needs a passenger. GREAT winter hunting over there.

Default Ptarmigan Article

I saw a similar article last year on alaskaoutdoorjournal.com. Here's a link to the archived story, http://web.archive.org/web/200610040...orjournal.com/

Hope this helps

Default thanks for the help

Thanks for all the info guys. This site is great for getting a little help. It is good to see that there are still folks out there willing to lend a hand and help someone out.
    Thanks again,
    Andy

I recall the article as well, however I am pretty sure they were flying up to Lost lake/Crecent lake area out of Moose Pass. I cant remember the air taxi's name but he flys a rare plane, like a helio currier or something.