Thread: Gerber Back Paxe vs. Timberline Bush Pilot?

Default Gerber Back Paxe vs. Timberline Bush Pilot?

So which one for hiking/backpacking?

Default Gransfors Bruks...

I have heard about these axes/hatchets for a while but first saw one recently. Very popular with outdoorsman. They are impressive. I got the small forest axe. It has 19" hickory handle and 1.5 lb head. Flat poll for stakes and such. And it is super sharp. Sliced through paper like a finely sharpened knife blade. Handmade in Sweden and stamped initials are on it of the craftsman. They are not cheap, but they are very high quality. They make several models from 12" mini hatchets to the 25" Scandinavian axe. They have a wildlife hatchet that has a 14" handle and about a 1 lb head. That is comparable to the two hatchets you mentioned. It is always good to have options. Here is a pic. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D1%26hl%3Den
    I think I saw this same model on ebay for like $76 the other day. New with a 20 year warranty and leather sheath. On Ebays main page under the search space, type in Gransfors Bruks, and you can see more if interested.

Default Gransfors

Ya, my guide in Alaska had the "Hunter" model, didn't see it in action but looks like a nice little axe.

I am in the process of acquiring a Gerber Back Paxe. I like the idea of having a small, lightweight axe that you can cut kindling or shelter poles with, but doesn't take up a bunch of room in the pack.

oz
    il vaut mieux Ítre bon que la chance

Thanks for your assistance. Our scouts went out this weekend and one of our leaders had his typical heavy pack with full size everything and got me to thinking even more about trimming where we can.

From what I can gather, the only real difference between the Back Paxe and the Timberline is weight. The Back Paxe is a little over 3 ounces lighter than the Timberline.

I do like the deep finger grooves on the handle of the Timberline, but the Back Paxe does seem to have a better looking head (unlike me)

oz
    il vaut mieux Ítre bon que la chance

Isn't the bush pilot shaped for skinning too? I believe it is. The Gransfors axes seem bulky and heavy for taking on a weight conscience hunt. Is the Gerber forged steel? Anyhow, I was debating getting a bush pilot axe for skinning and camp duties too and the weight seemed reasonable. Are they available locally? Iíve only seen the Timberline in Cabelas.

Tim

Default Gransfors Bruks...

The Gransfors Bruks wildlife hatchet only weighs 1 lb! The difference in that and the pack axe is nill. The 14" hickory handle on the Gransfors will actually allow you to do some work. An 8" handle will drastically limit the pack axe in my opinion. My buddy had a Gerber with a 13 " handle on our recent trip on the Goodnews. It was crap. In all fairness, the blade was dull. But I was not impressed. The Granfors is something you would have to hold in your hand to appreciate. I was impressed anyway. Sharp as any knife you own. Hand forged. Hickory handle. Depends on what you are looking for I guess. Below is a link to pics/info on most of their hatchets/axes.
    http://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com...ansforsBruksax