Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vote for best Halibut port in Alaska!!!

Default Vote for best Halibut port in Alaska!!!

Best Chance for a Butt over 100lbs.!!!!!!
    I wanted to see how many people would vote for places like Homer, Seward, Whittier, Valdez, Kodiak, etc.

I would say Seward my self.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Since the question covers ALL of Alaska I'd have to vote for Sand Pt. in the Shumagins with Dutch Harbor a close second. I grew up in Seward, but the Rod and Reel (and longline) action in and around the Shumagins is absolutely amazing. You cannot take a break to drink or eat something because your rod will be yanked over the side. Literally, in the hot spots, as soon as your bait hits bottom, a 'but is gobbling it up.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I agree with Alaska Hippie. I'm a ways further out than Sand Point, but in the same general area. The area around here seems to produce more halibut than what I hear coming from other places.

This past summer we would get tired of winching the bassits up off the bottom when they were active.

I put out my 16 hook subsistence line twice and have enough to last me the winter.

None of the fish we caught were in the 100lb range. A couple were close, but we don't want big fish for eating anyway and there were a lot of them.
    Now what ?

does anybody compile a state wide winners list for halibut sizes caught in their respective derbies?

Can I just say the Aleutians for the best bet at a 100 lb 'butt'

Deep Creek in July is very good for me with fish over the 100lb mark daily, but a limit of those (and bigger) does happen every now and then. The average overall size of Halibut caught in Cook inlet weights about 20 lbs. and just shows local knowledge can improve your chance of catching big fish.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

SEWARD!! (but i'm biased )

Homer, love the town and the fishing.

Amchitka Island is the best for 100 lb +, but they glow from the past nukes

Thumbs up kodiak

me and my family caught many big butts in kodiak.

That's true, there are a lot of big butts ( and missing teeth ) in Kodiak

Seems like Dutch Harbor would be hard to beat as far as the number of gargantuan fish (350lb-plus) landed over the last ten years. And it also ranks at or near the top of the list as far as numbers, especially close-in numbers. There aren't many places where you can consistently get "neck deep" in halibut 15 minutes from port.

Default Aleutians and Shumagins

If you are into halibut of size...it's Unalaska, if you are into quantity...it's anywhere close to Sand Point. #3 would have to be the waters around Kodiak Island.

I just happened to find an article on bio mass and most of the fish, according to this count, is around kodiak. About 1/3 or so comes from down along the coast starting near california. But then i don't know how accurate this gov't website is because also said the largest flatfish is the pacific halibut which is know is not true because the atlantic halibut is much bigger at almost double the weight. unless they meant to say largest flat fish in the pacific ocean.

IGFA Rod 'n reel record for Pacific halibut is 459 and 255 1/4 for Atlantic halibut. Not sure about the all-tackle record for Pacific but for Atlantic it's 418.8.

The rod 'n reel records are IGFA and they do count a record fish no matter where in the world it's caught.

But based on unofficial commercial "records", the Atlantic probably does grow a little larger, but no where near almost double the size of Pacific halibut. Atlantics would have to grow to the 1000-pound range for that to be true. Big Atlantics caught decades ago reportedly went 9ft long and 700 pounds... I haven't seen any stories where someone has claimed Atlantics larger than that have ever been caught.

The biggest Atlantic ever photographed was caught off Norway by commercial fishermen. It reportedly weighed 620 pounds and measured 8ft 7 inches. If it really weighed 620 then it must've been one fat fish because the longest documented commercially caught Pacific halibut (caught of St. Paul in 2003) was 8ft 2 inches and its length/girth calculated to 533 pounds. (I don't think it was weighed until they got back to port... which was probably a day-plus after they caught it).

To see that Norwegian halibut, do a Google search for "largest atlantic halibut ever landed" and click the third link that pops up. The scroll down and click the post titled "largest halibut ever...." When you get there, there's a link to the pic.

Quote Originally Posted by littles View Post
    I just happened to find an article on bio mass and most of the fish, according to this count, is around kodiak. About 1/3 or so comes from down along the coast starting near california. But then i don't know how accurate this gov't website is because also said the largest flatfish is the pacific halibut which is know is not true because the atlantic halibut is much bigger at almost double the weight. unless they meant to say largest flat fish in the pacific ocean.

Default Alaska

IGFA Rod 'n reel record for Pacific halibut is 459 and 255 1/4 for Atlantic halibut. Not sure about the all-tackle record for Pacific but for Atlantic it's 418.8.

The rod 'n reel records are IGFA and they do count a record fish no matter where in the world it's caught.

But based on unofficial commercial "records", the Atlantic probably does grow a little larger, but no where near almost double the size of Pacific halibut. Atlantics would have to grow to the 1000-pound range for that to be true. Big Atlantics caught decades ago reportedly went 9ft long and 700 pounds... I haven't seen any stories where someone has claimed Atlantics larger than that have ever been caught.

The biggest Atlantic ever photographed was caught off Norway by commercial fishermen. It reportedly weighed 620 pounds and measured 8ft 7 inches. If it really weighed 620 then it must've been one fat fish because the longest documented commercially caught Pacific halibut (caught of St. Paul in 2003) was 8ft 2 inches and its length/girth calculated to 533 pounds. (I don't think it was weighed until they got back to port... which was probably a day-plus after they caught it).

To see that Norwegian halibut, do a Google search for "largest atlantic halibut ever landed" and click the third link that pops up. The scroll down and click the post titled "largest halibut ever...." When you get there, there's a link to the pic.
    The forum is Alaska oriented and the question was about Alaska. Yes the Alantic and other parts of the world have halibut. But the question was concerning Alaska halibut.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 10-31-2007 at 08:05.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by UplandHuntsman View Post

I'm not talking rod caught, that's like saying some species of grouse weighs up to 4lbs because taht was the the heaviest one ever hunted and shot legally under Nebraska hunting regs. Anyways, i read somewhere that the atlantics can go over 800# which is why i said it's nearly double the pacific variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    The forum is Alaska oriented and the question was about Alaska. Yes the Alantic and other parts of the world have halibut. But the question was concerning Alaska halibut.

And my response was about alaska if you read it. I said according to the biomass study, halibut are concentrated around kodiak which would lead me to believe your chances of getting nice fish better near there.

Default Oop's

Littles: Apologies. It was the post below that was the topic of Atlantic halibut.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I would have to say Homer do to it's location but if you can get out then Sand Pt. in the Shumagins with Dutch Harbor.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast