Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose heart

Default Moose heart

I eat quite a bit of deer heart, but I don't remember ever eating moose heart.

Any good ideas out there for this chunk of meat?
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Default Dice it up with liver...

& slow cook it with cream of mushroom soup...throw in some onions (shallots are best) & VIOLA! Best soup for you! NEXT!

Default Pickled heart...

Find your favorite pickling recipe and slice your hearts into that mixture. Pickled hearts make a great snack; beef or wild game should please you. I prefer my spice in this one on the sweet side...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyMountain View Post
    I eat quite a bit of deer heart, but I don't remember ever eating moose heart.

Any good ideas out there for this chunk of meat?

Then you will love moose, as moose are deer also.

Default Grilled!

Over a charcoal fire that is, and slathered in barbeque sauce. That is how I first had it (a non-organ meat person) and it was delicious. That was on the beach not more than 4 hours after the kill. Mmmmmm. Tasty!

Boil it for a hour or so, let it cool and use it for sandwich meat. Thin sliced onions, salt & pepper...oh! makes my mouth water.

Default Moose heart....

Cooked slow in about 1/2 cup water with onions and sliced bell pepper. If you are still in hunting camp gather up some wild mustard greens along with the tops of the yellow flowers to use instead of the onions and pepper. Once the water is cooked off (about 1/2 hour) add a handfull of diced kidney fat and turn up the heat to brown. Add a little black pepper,, a dash of salt and serve with homemade highbush cranberry ketchup sauce.

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Grandma... if I was in the field, and you were cooking, I'd sample that.

I'm at home, with no deer hearts left, but a gifted moose heart.

Big Al .... lol! "I'll do it my way"
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Default Alas...

I'm at home, with no deer hearts left, but a gifted moose heart.
    ...the gifted moose lives no longer.
    A loss to all of mundane moosedom. Eat it well, Soggy.

Default Stuffed heart

I have a couple of recipe books where you stuff the heart with bread crumbs/cubes and veggies - so it ends up like stuffing. We have kind of merged them together and it is wonderful! I will have to look that up for you.

Some of these recipes sound really good! I like the charcoal fire, (not with BBQ sauce though) and also the boiled sandwich meat... that really surprises me cause I am not a boiled meat fan excepting stew...

The stuffed heart has me interested big time!

But... keep em coming!!

Thanks for the link Mauser...

I only have 1/2 a heart, but, I also have some veggies left from a pot roast I made the other day....

Given the above ideas, my pre-existing cooked ingredients, and a whole onion, I do believe I have tomorrow's dinner in the makings!

Heart is thawing as I type.

Given the above ideas, and the fact that I only had/have 1/2 a heart I...

1. Chopped 3 potatoes and browned them with light salt and pepper

2. Sliced a whole onion (Yellow) and browned it... in the same pan as the potatoes - then, placed them both in a pan together.

3. Seared my heart in the hot pan with salt, pepper, fried garlic and basil.

4. Dumped potatoes and onions in Cast Iron pan ontop and around heart.

5. Covered and placed in oven for an hour and 20 minutes at 250.

6. Added precooked celery and carrots from previous pot roast...

..... It is still cooking but, I'll let you know how good it tastes in the next post!

Hart makes wonderful chilli and Pasty's too.(Pasty= little meat pie created by finish miners in Michigans upper peninsula)

Tracy and I had venison hart pasties our first christmas(solstice for us) dinner together. Funny thing is we were watching Rudolph the red nosed reindeer at the time

Oh yeah... it was dynomite!

I've enough for leftovers and sandwishes!

Tonight I'll eat the remnants of the veggies as a side to the heart sandwich.

Instead I diced up some of the heart and put it in the leftover veggies... Then I heated it in the micro. Excellent!

I have enough left for my sandwich tonight (with home made fries), and, I'll do the remainder under fried eggs tomorrow.

Ah... four days off of one meal. That's the way life should be!

Default stuffed heart

Sorry it took so long to get back to you...

This is a modification of the stuffed moose heart recipe out of 'Favourite Recipes from Trapper Ray's Kitchen'

Wash heart thoroughly in cold water and dry. Trim cartilage and valves.

Stuffing: These amounts aren't exact, as it depends on the size of the heart. Vary the amounts of veggies and bread based on the size of the space to fill.

Lightly mix these ingredents in a bowl:
    Chopped veggies (about 1 -2 cups). I did about equal carrot, celery and onion - with a garlic clove or two thrown in. You could use what ever you have.
    1-2 cups bread cubes or crumbs.
    1-2 tbsp of butter, bacon grease, or olive oil.
    1 tsp seasoning spice (like poultry seasoning, sage, herbs fennes, whatever you like.)
    pinch of salt and pepper

Lightly stuff stuffing into the heart chambers. If it is not going to be easy to tie up the heart and get it mostly closed, use a couple of strips of bacon tied or pinned across the opening to help you out. The heart needs to be able to set in the pan w/o the stuffing falling out, so pin or tie as nessasary. Then rub oil or butter or bacon fat on the outside of the heart before setting it in the pan.

I cooked mine in a loaf pan with foil on top. Cook at 350 degrees (medium oven). Trapper Ray says 3-4 hours, but mine didn't take nearly that long (about 40-60 min). I took the foil off for the last 5-10 min of cooking. Use a meat thermometer and it is all good when the meat reaches 150. Then it can coast another couple of degrees when you pull it out and not be overcooked.

Pretty darn good hot or cold as leftovers.
    Last edited by grcg; 11-11-2007 at 14:41. Reason: Added a step.

I only have 1/2 a heart
    Thats no lie!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast