Thread: Studded Tires, what kind to get

Default Studded Tires, what kind to get

I am looking for some. This will be my first time riding in the winter, mainly to keep my dog happy. She loves to run as I ride as hard as I can. I have seen Nokian I think with the carbide tip studds. I think they were about $129. Is there a cheaper place in town or where to buy. I would like to get new wider rims to fit them. Current size tire is 2.2 I think and 26 inch. Just need to know where the cheapest place that has them in town. I want quality over price. Thanks in advance.

No clue as to the best quality price, but make sure you call the usual suspects - Sunshine Sports, The Bicycle Shop, Paramount Cycles, and REI.

Default Two other good places to check

Two other good places to check are Chain Reaction Cycles and Speedway Cycles. They cater to winter riders a lot around here and can really help you make sure you have what you are looking for. In many cases, you don't want or don't need studded tires if you aren't going to be on the roads. If you are, then you probably do want them for the ice.

Just tell the guys at either of these two shops what you want to do for riding and they can set you up.

Default Locations aproximately

I know the 3 Brian mentioned, not sure where Paramount moved too and the other two I have never heard of. Thanks for the info and I will try and look them up.

I believe that Paramount is in the strip mall area next to the Huffman Carrs (over by the Southside Bistro).

Default Speedway and Chain Reaction Cycles

Speedway is across from AMH on Spenard (just north of Northern Lights).

Chain Reaction Cycles is just to the west of the Huffman Post Office in the Huffman Business Park. They are right across from Paramount Cycles if you find them.

Default Cool thanks guys.

I thought paramount was the one close to my house, maybe it was another company, they moved I think last year or sometime, they are not there any more.

What I was trying to say before is that I am pretty sure I want the Nokians. I have seen different prices at different places when I was looking last winter. Want the cheapest price for that brand but money is not an a problem if there is a better brand or style. I guess I will have some shopping to do this weekend or start calling around on lunch break. Thanks again. Should be a blast to ride in the winter.

I'd nix the studs and buy some wider rims and tires. The studs really only help if you're riding on icy pavement - which is crazy with the impatient drivers around here. Once the snow flies, the multiuse trails around town are the best place to ride, but are fairly soft and studs won't do you any good. You'd be better off with more flotation - i.e. wider rims and tires. Have fun!

Default studded tires

buffalob brings up a good point. unless you're commuting on the scraped (ie icy) sidewalks the studs aren't going to do much good. A wide wheelset with some matching floaters will help keep you rolling in the softstuff.

As far as the nokians go, you'll find most local shops run the same prices give or take. kenda came into the market recently with a pretty solid contender worth looking at, I think it's called the klondike. If you want to go all out check out Freddy's Revenge by nokian, it was developed as a studded downhill tire. it weighs about the same as your studded care tires though I've run the nokians (xc130's) and the equivalent schwalbes and been very happy with both back when I did the winter bike commute. If you haven't already tried em, ski goggles are a great addition.

happy trails

Default Thanks for all tips and advice

I am pretty sure I want studs. Took the bike out tonight to campbell creek trail of lake otis. Was slick in a few spots. I ride from my house most of the time. So my neighbor hood gets slick and I ride almost a mile of road to get to the creek. Going to the dog parks I could probably get away with out studs. But I usually ride from my house to University lake also. So my gut says to get the studs. I remember as a kid riding bikes on the country roads and busting my butt every time I tried to turn or brake. I know I will like the studs. I think I am sold on the nokian extremes. Only $99. The ones for $130 look nice too and have more 30+ more studs per tire. But they are wider and not sure if I want to push the extra tire. Now my summer tires are 1.95. The extremes are 2.1 and the others are 2.3. Both have aggressive treads carbide studs. I looked at the klondikes but about 100 studs less than the nokians and are flat studs. Plus there are no studs in the middle of the tire like the nokians. Now I just gotta find the time to get my bike into them. The guys said I should have my rims checked for true so the studs don't tear up my bike. I was thinking of getting new rims, one has a small wobble in it. But they said it might be fine but they should look at it.

Default you'll dig the extremes

they're the standard as far as studs go IMO. take a look at the pressure rating at the sidewall and run your pressure on the low end of the range. Won't slow you down much, and you'll have much better hookup with the studs. Also-ask the bike guys for the "break-in" instructions. I forget the details, but you need to ride them easy for the first 15-30 miles, none of which should be on dry pavement. something about seating the studs.

riding across the glare ice of a frozen lake with studs on is a crazy feeling. on a good day they'll hook up like you were riding on a sidewalk. have fun!!

Default Bought the Extremes tonight

Went back to the Bike Shop on northern lights. Got there a little before closing and they still trued my rim, which was way off, looked pretty good but they guy said I had a lot of low spots. They even put on the new tires for me and did some bonus stuff, greased hubs, oiled chain and shifter, adjusted one shifter, greased or oiled the crank and tightened my brakes. All in about 15 minutes or less. Would have taken me twice as long just to put the tires on, not to mention dinking with the rim. Tires are wide and just right. The 2.3 would have to big.
    I am pretty sure they told me to ride dry pavement to seet the studs. Took it out with the dog of course and felt good. Didn't slam on the breaks or anything, they said that will rip the studs out in heart a beat. Wasn't too slick yet but it was starting to freeze and spit a little snow. Felt awesome. I like them already. I will let some air out once we get froze back up. Other than that I didn't ask about break in. I looked at the studs when I got back. Look sharp and pointed still. Will check to see how they seeted. They were sticking out pretty good.
    Is there anything I need to know about riding on ice? Tonight felt like you want to keep your weight centered or just back a little bit. I guess I will learn pretty quickly if I am doing something wrong.

You made a good choice going with the Nokian Extremes. I have three sets and am very pleased with them. They are expensive, but will last a few seasons if you take care of them. You are supposed to put in some miles on dry pavement with no aggressive braking to seat the studs properly. I think 100 miles is the figure I have seen. On ice, just try to keep your weight centered and watch out for ruts!

Its been a while now, but I spent some time as a bike mechanic on the NORBA circuit for the ODI/Southridge team. Among my travels I found myself getting bikes ready in the late 90's for the X-games. Studded tires weren't widely available, and if they were, the brand I worked with didn't make one, so we made our own studded tires. We would take a new tire, shave the tread down in half (you can just use worn tires) and then use sheet metal screws and screw them in from the inside. We carefully used tape to cover the sharp screwheads and voila you have studded tires!