Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Is your lake ice this thick????

  1. #1
    New member AKDSLDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska/Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    1,234

    Talking Is your lake ice this thick????

    Just ran across this from another site, I would say the ice is thick enough.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y-k-cX7rTE

  2. #2
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default How on earth...

    ... does it ever thaw out?

  3. #3
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    awesome!!!!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    489

    Default

    lol omg! i thought that wasn't gonna ever stop

  5. #5

    Default

    man, that's thick. Where i grew up in northern ontario, i had to cut through an average of 2' of ice, but it wasn't uncommon to get up close to 4' depending on where you were on the lake. In the coldest months it was always a guessing game if the hand auger you brought would be long enough.

  6. #6

    Default

    Any chance that this video was just made for effect? I don't recall from the one time I watched it if you could tell if the augers were actually cutting through the ice. Maybe they'd already cut a hole in the ice, then added a bunch of augers and went back in and then pulled them out to make it look like it was that thick. Just wondering since I've never augered in ice before.

  7. #7
    New member AKDSLDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska/Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    1,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Any chance that this video was just made for effect? I don't recall from the one time I watched it if you could tell if the augers were actually cutting through the ice. Maybe they'd already cut a hole in the ice, then added a bunch of augers and went back in and then pulled them out to make it look like it was that thick. Just wondering since I've never augered in ice before.
    Can't say if this video is for real or not, just something I ran across and thought was a funny clip. I on the other hand have drilled through 4.5-5 foot of ice to fish in the glennallen area. Is it possible? Sure it is, how thick is a glacier?

  8. #8
    Moderator AKmud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,185

    Default

    I'm guessing it was real, I have seen over 6' of ice even on Big Lake at times.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg


    The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    Can't say if this video is for real or not, just something I ran across and thought was a funny clip. I on the other hand have drilled through 4.5-5 foot of ice to fish in the glennallen area. Is it possible? Sure it is, how thick is a glacier?
    It was funny, and unexpected.

  10. #10
    Member COtoAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Pole, Alaska
    Posts
    1,896

    Default

    Crazy!
    We just took our ice auger (sp??) to our pond (only 4 inches) and I was expecting people to fall through the ice in the vid.
    Amazing video! Looks real to me!
    Lurker.

  11. #11
    Member AK DUCKMAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    698

    Default It's real

    Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Any chance that this video was just made for effect? I don't recall from the one time I watched it if you could tell if the augers were actually cutting through the ice. Maybe they'd already cut a hole in the ice, then added a bunch of augers and went back in and then pulled them out to make it look like it was that thick. Just wondering since I've never augered in ice before.
    If you have ever drilled a hole in the ice before. You can tell by the ice coming out of the hole before they go though. As they take it out you see the water. No thanks

  12. #12
    Moderator Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    4,402

    Default Looks real

    OK so I had to go look. It looks real except why the auger all the way to the top. Usually you just buy an extension. Maybe it was all they had though, typical of remote communities.

    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

  13. #13
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default Or maybe...

    ... thats a Canadian kind of auger, eh?

  14. #14
    New member AKDSLDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska/Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    1,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    OK so I had to go look. It looks real except why the auger all the way to the top. Usually you just buy an extension. Maybe it was all they had though, typical of remote communities.
    In 10 foot of ice you wold never be able to pull the 3 foot of auger back up the hole with all the ice shavings packed on top, the 10 foot of auger keeps the ice shavings moving upwards. Thats my theiry and I'm sticken to it.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks
    Posts
    439

    Default

    I have done my fair share of ice fishing and even on wind blown lakes where there is no insulating snow cover in the Fairbanks area it is almost unheard of to see 6 feet of ice in my experience. They must have been drilling an area of over flow where the ice builds up from the top down as the water flows out over the ice during the course of the winter.

    Just my .02 cents worth.

  16. #16
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    In 10 foot of ice you wold never be able to pull the 3 foot of auger back up the hole with all the ice shavings packed on top, the 10 foot of auger keeps the ice shavings moving upwards. Thats my theory and I'm sticken to it.
    I am with you on that. That would be a lot of ice shavings to pull up.

  17. #17
    Member Hunt'N'Photos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Thats awesome! I got lucky my first year up here. I have not needed an extension yet. Out on Figure 8 lake in Feb I had the exhaust touching the ice and water, but it punched through. I think this year I am going to buy and extension just to be safe.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

    To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

  18. #18
    Member Alaska Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    4,925

    Default

    Wow that is crazy
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

  19. #19
    Member Alaskan Salmon Sith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK
    Posts
    264

    Default

    LMAO They are truly better men than I. LoL!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •