Thread: Is your lake ice this thick????

Talking Is your lake ice this thick????

Just ran across this from another site, I would say the ice is thick enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y-k-cX7rTE

Default How on earth...

... does it ever thaw out?

awesome!!!!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

lol omg! i thought that wasn't gonna ever stop

man, that's thick. Where i grew up in northern ontario, i had to cut through an average of 2' of ice, but it wasn't uncommon to get up close to 4' depending on where you were on the lake. In the coldest months it was always a guessing game if the hand auger you brought would be long enough.

Any chance that this video was just made for effect? I don't recall from the one time I watched it if you could tell if the augers were actually cutting through the ice. Maybe they'd already cut a hole in the ice, then added a bunch of augers and went back in and then pulled them out to make it look like it was that thick. Just wondering since I've never augered in ice before.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Any chance that this video was just made for effect? I don't recall from the one time I watched it if you could tell if the augers were actually cutting through the ice. Maybe they'd already cut a hole in the ice, then added a bunch of augers and went back in and then pulled them out to make it look like it was that thick. Just wondering since I've never augered in ice before.
    Can't say if this video is for real or not, just something I ran across and thought was a funny clip. I on the other hand have drilled through 4.5-5 foot of ice to fish in the glennallen area. Is it possible? Sure it is, how thick is a glacier?

I'm guessing it was real, I have seen over 6' of ice even on Big Lake at times.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    Can't say if this video is for real or not, just something I ran across and thought was a funny clip. I on the other hand have drilled through 4.5-5 foot of ice to fish in the glennallen area. Is it possible? Sure it is, how thick is a glacier?
    It was funny, and unexpected.

Crazy!
    We just took our ice auger (sp??) to our pond (only 4 inches) and I was expecting people to fall through the ice in the vid.
    Amazing video! Looks real to me!
    Lurker.

Default It's real

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    If you have ever drilled a hole in the ice before. You can tell by the ice coming out of the hole before they go though. As they take it out you see the water. No thanks

Default Looks real

OK so I had to go look. It looks real except why the auger all the way to the top. Usually you just buy an extension. Maybe it was all they had though, typical of remote communities.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Or maybe...

... thats a Canadian kind of auger, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    OK so I had to go look. It looks real except why the auger all the way to the top. Usually you just buy an extension. Maybe it was all they had though, typical of remote communities.
    In 10 foot of ice you wold never be able to pull the 3 foot of auger back up the hole with all the ice shavings packed on top, the 10 foot of auger keeps the ice shavings moving upwards. Thats my theiry and I'm sticken to it.

I have done my fair share of ice fishing and even on wind blown lakes where there is no insulating snow cover in the Fairbanks area it is almost unheard of to see 6 feet of ice in my experience. They must have been drilling an area of over flow where the ice builds up from the top down as the water flows out over the ice during the course of the winter.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    In 10 foot of ice you wold never be able to pull the 3 foot of auger back up the hole with all the ice shavings packed on top, the 10 foot of auger keeps the ice shavings moving upwards. Thats my theory and I'm sticken to it.
    I am with you on that. That would be a lot of ice shavings to pull up.

Thats awesome! I got lucky my first year up here. I have not needed an extension yet. Out on Figure 8 lake in Feb I had the exhaust touching the ice and water, but it punched through. I think this year I am going to buy and extension just to be safe.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Wow that is crazy
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

LMAO They are truly better men than I. LoL!