Thread: Sure Fire Bread Recipe !

Default Sure Fire Bread Recipe !

To you, all of our Alaskan neighbors. This recipe is the best, never had better bread recipe. We were given this over 30 years ago in Fairbanks and have never heard anything but praise. I hope you folks will give this a try!

House bread.

2 cups of warm water.

1 package of dry yeast > stir in until dissolved.

1/2 tsp of ginger.

2 tsp salt.

1 tsp sugar.

Add 2 cups of flour and beat well, then add 3 cups of flour to make a stiff dough. Kneed until elastic, let rise until double.

Make into 2 long slim loaves place on greased cooking sheet with a little corn meal sprinkled on the cooking sheet.

Brush the tops of the loaves with cold water and make 3 or 4 diagonal slashes on the tops.

Let rise until double and brush with melted butter (yes, that's the real stuff).

Bake @ 450 degrees for seven mins, reduce oven to 350 degrees continue baking for 35 mins.

I want you folks to know that this bread does not last. (it gets ate up fast)

Default with ginger...

Sure does look like a winner! I never thought of ginger in a bread recipe before, other than a sweet or fruity loaf. Great idea and will have to give it a try.

Thanks for sharing,
    Grandma
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Careful with that chewy crusted bread young lady, it will make your jam and jelly reserves, shrink fast.

I hope you have some loved ones around when you pull the bread from the oven. And a good supply of butter, you just won't believe how fast two loaves can disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Careful with that chewy crusted bread young lady,
    "
    You just earned yourself some brownie points with that "Young Lady" stuff

Well I’ll have to make up a big old batch then, and stick some loaves outside on the porch to freeze!
    Don’t you worry I got plenty of jam and plenty of real butter.
    Haven’t done this weeks baking yet, but I am going to try it soon.
    Will let you all know how it turns out.

Grandma Lori

Default AK Grandma

If you need a guinea pig let me know and I'll send my address. grin

kingfisherktn

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    If you need a guinea pig let me know...grin

kingfisherktn
    Is that little piglet in your kids cage corn or home fed? I'll bet it would roast up real nice!
    Or are you the guinea pig and gonna eat up all my bread!

Grandma, the later. grin

kingfisherktn

Thumbs up We have a Winner!

To you, all of our Alaskan neighbors. This recipe is the best, never had better bread recipe. We were given this over 30 years ago in Fairbanks and have never heard anything but praise. I hope you folks will give this a try!

House bread.

2 cups of warm water.

1 package of dry yeast > stir in until dissolved.

1/2 tsp of ginger.

2 tsp salt.

1 tsp sugar.

Add 2 cups of flour and beat well, then add 3 cups of flour to make a stiff dough. Kneed until elastic, let rise until double.

Make into 2 long slim loaves place on greased cooking sheet with a little corn meal sprinkled on the cooking sheet.

Brush the tops of the loaves with cold water and make 3 or 4 diagonal slashes on the tops.

Let rise until double and brush with melted butter (yes, that's the real stuff).

Bake @ 450 degrees for seven mins, reduce oven to 350 degrees continue baking for 35 mins.

I want you folks to know that this bread does not last. (it gets ate up fast)
    Thanks Big AL, I baked up a few loaves last night! You are right, it is a winner recipe. I encourage all of you to give this one a try!

Grandma Lori

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Grandma View Post
    Thanks Big AL, I baked up a few loaves last night! You are right, it is a winner recipe. I encourage all of you to give this one a try!

Grandma Lori

Grandma, I thought I was going to get to be the guinea pig? grin

kingfisherktn

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Grandma, I thought I was going to get to be the guinea pig? grin

kingfisherktn
    Well you know the old rule when it comes to fresh bread...if you ain't here when it comes out of the oven, you are pretty much out of luck! I did manage to sneak one loaf out to the porch to freeze before it all got ate up.

Default Gran

I guess that forces me to make it myself and I'll still get to be the guinea pig.

kingfisherktn

I think that crust is the real hook. I'm just tickled that you found it to be good young Lady.

I think that crust is the real hook. I'm just tickled that you found it to be good young Lady.
    Except for the 1/2 teaspoon of ginger, that's essentially Julia Child's recipe for French bread. I use:

3 1/2 cups bread flour + 1 tablespoon of rye flour

scant tablespoon of yeast

2 1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon of sugar

1 1/3 + a bit cups of water

Using a Bosch machine, I put the yeast in first, then add the rest of the dry ingredients. Mix dry. Add water, let the machine knead the dough for a minute or two, let the dough rest for a couple minutes, machine knead for another five minutes or so.

I heat my electric oven at 350 for one minute and turn it off.

Let dough rise in the warm oven; form into loaves, rolls, baguettes, etc. and let rise again; put into a 450-degree oven. If using electric oven, throw in a half-cup of water; if gas oven, put 1/2 cup of water in shallow dish in oven

I like good bread, and will have to give your recipe a whirl.

Heck, this thread is turning out to be fun.

Something that I really enjoy doing is to take a few loafs of bread, saw them up. Rice a half dozen gloves of garlic and melt a half pound or more of butter. Heat the butter and garlic up, coat the bread slices well, place on a cookie sheet and place in the oven to toast. After I pull them out and let them cool, I toss them in large trash can bags (5 gal. size) and freeze.

Sure makes it handy when you want to do up a quick spaghetti, or you do a reheat on your put away frozen lasagna.

I really like to cook, way more than you can eat up in a couple of meals and freeze for future reference.

Sure is grand how we can eat better for less when we use a little malice of forethought.

Default Bread and more. . .

I like to thinly slice my baguettes—3/8 inch or so—brush them with olive oil, and toast them for 10 minutes in a 350-degree oven.

Finely chop some seeded tomato, garlic, and fresh basil. . . add some good olive oil.

Use the tomato mixture as topping for the toasted bread. . . appetizers, snacks, etc. Positively addictive. . .

(from a Williams-Sonoma cookbook)

Default Toast

Heat up an electric griddle, slice a loaf of sourdough bread in half lengthwise, and smooth on a thick layer of butter or spread. Sprinkle on garlic salt, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and parmesian cheese. Turn face down on the griddle and fry for a few minutes. Yummy!
    Can be done with the broiler in your oven too, but if you do it this way, throw on some really thin tomato slices.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Except for the 1/2 teaspoon of ginger, that's essentially Julia Child's recipe for French bread. I use:

3 1/2 cups bread flour + 1 tablespoon of rye flour

scant tablespoon of yeast

2 1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon of sugar

1 1/3 + a bit cups of water

Using a Bosch machine, I put the yeast in first, then add the rest of the dry ingredients. Mix dry. Add water, let the machine knead the dough for a minute or two, let the dough rest for a couple minutes, machine knead for another five minutes or so.

I heat my electric oven at 350 for one minute and turn it off.

Let dough rise in the warm oven; form into loaves, rolls, baguettes, etc. and let rise again; put into a 450-degree oven. If using electric oven, throw in a half-cup of water; if gas oven, put 1/2 cup of water in shallow dish in oven
    Do you mean that literally?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    I like to thinly slice my baguettes—3/8 inch or so—brush them with olive oil, and toast them for 10 minutes in a 350-degree oven.

Finely chop some seeded tomato, garlic, and fresh basil. . . add some good olive oil.

Use the tomato mixture as topping for the toasted bread. . . appetizers, snacks, etc. Positively addictive. . .

(from a Williams-Sonoma cookbook)
    What you describe is called bruschetta, the universal appitizer served in every restaurant in Italy. It's one of the few things I actually liked while living there. It is served with only garlic and oil also. Very tastey and as you said, addictive.

Default Yes. . .

Quote Originally Posted by AKGUPPY View Post
    Do you mean that literally?
    Yes, absolutely. . . if you have an electric oven. If gas, place 1/2 cup of water in a shallow container on the bottom shelf.