Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear meat

Default Bear meat

How many of you out there use the black bear meat your harvest for human consumption? And whats your preferable way of cooking it (Anyone ever tried pot roast ? )

I found that I did not like it much. It had an odd sweet flavor that did not appeal to me. I did make bulk sausage out of most of the meat and it made a passable chili. I had some Friends and neighbors that asked for more so I guess it might have just been me.

I like to make sausage out of the meat.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I plan on hunting for my first blackie this weekend. After that I will let you know. I would appreciate any recipes for bear meat.

Default Bear meat.

As Tony the tiger would put it....It's greeeat!

I really enjoy it and so does my family. I find it to be mild with no game taste. I have never taken a salmon fed bear however. I make burger, sausage, backstrap steaks, and roasts.

I have had some bear though that was odd tasting that others had given me. I don't know if it was fish fed or the meat was not dealt with correctly. Anyway, my vote is...yes, like it.

Funny thing. I kill black bears most years in Ontario, Canada and really enjoy the meat. It is mild and good enough to eat as steaks on the grill. A couple years ago I killed a black bear in Alaska, in the Alaska range and it was inedible. The meat smelled and had a horribly gamey taste. To add to my confusion, I ate a bunch of brown bear meat a couple years ago on a hunt for them on the Alaska Peninsula. I thought it was fantastic - as good and mild as any angus beef I've ever eaten.

Don Mulligan
    www.outdoorswithdon.com

I

Default you are what you eat...

No truer saying than that when it comes to bear! It all depends on their diet in the month or so preceding their demise. You see the same thing with pork or beef: flavor and quality varies widely based on the animal's diet. Get the hide off the meat quickly to let it cool, be really careful gutting it so no urine or stomach contents get on your meat (game care 101) and there's no need to let it hang to age. Basically the same rules as with pork- when we slaughtered hogs they'd hang 2-4 days, just long enough to let the fat set up. You can use any beef roast recipe with bear and it'll come out fantastic. Sear the roast in a hot frying pan before adding the fixings and putting it in the oven or crock pot- it keeps all those delicious juices inside! Its a good idea to use a meat thermometer: when the inside hits 165 its good to go!

Default bearrr

I was fortunate enough to take a nice fat berry fed bear up in the mountains last week and it was good.

Default Don't eat it!

Man, you have to be crazy to eat black bear. I will do you a BIIIIG favor so you don't lose face and come take it off of your hands. No really, it's no big deal. I would do the same for any friend. (who had b.b. meat) I thnk those other guys are just pullling your leg.
    In FAI Brett over at Tanana Meats makes a mean ham. Kind of like corned beef. It is to die for. I mean it is so horrible you could never eat it yourself!

A cross between beef and pork, only one better meat in this world, elk.

Any recipe you have for beef or pork works just fine thank you.

This is a meat that will not keep, gets ate up way to fast.

Do not be afraid to eat this meat, If no one told you what you were eating, you'd swear that was the best beef you ever ate!

I'm happy with the fact that most people don't know how good bb is, or they would be none in this state.

Default Great

I shot a blackie this spring and my 7 year old son told me to stop shooting those nasty moose and get him some more black bear meat to eat. I agree with the boy and everyone else in the family. The meat was sweet. The sweetness may of been due to the diet of doughnuts, blueberry dogfood, and lots of molasses. MMMMMMMM, and yes the potroast is excellent fair as well.

We absolutly love spring blackbear meat and we are willing to take donations here
    WIfe is always onto me to get a blackbear,which I never seem to do,so I keep getting donations which are always appreciated in this household.Daniel

Sounds really delicious, hope I get to go on my first hunt next spring.....

Basically in theory Spring black bears should be better in taste being they are munching on (if any) fresh salmon, and are more lean from hibernation?

How much time do you personally let it hang for and does anyone have a price they paid for a bear rug? I remember seeing 120$/Ft somewhere... with the average blackie around 6 ft?.... Anyone have reccomendations for taxidermy and a sticker tag of how much theres was?

Default salmon flavored bear

Well, you're partially right- spring bear taste great. But namely because they are NOT eating fish yet. Fish tastes great, and bear tastes great, but fish flavored bear does NOT taste great! Tundra taxidermy just north of wasilla did my wifes' bear, and was a very inexpensive, high quality job. I think it was $50-55 a lineal foot. He charges the same whether the hide is fleshed or not, head and paws removed or not. Unless you love turning feet, ears, nose and skinning out skulls, just cut them off at ankles and neck and bring the whole mess into Clint. FYI- if the hide has any holes from skinning it, you may want to sew them first before bringing it in- he didn't sew up any of my booboos. No biggie, I did it after getting it back, but if done before tanning the holes practically bond together in the tanning process.

"FALL" is the best, more fat. Don't let anyone kid you about that. I don't think spring bb meat is a requirement to harvest. FALL is a requirement.

The finest meat I ever had on my plate was bb that was killed within days of going into his den.

Big note: render that bb fat, your wife or whoever bakes in your house will demand it for baking. Nothing is it's equal. My mouth waters thinking of my wife's bake goods done up in bb grease.

If you think that meats good in the spring, just wait until you try it taken in the "FALL" !

Mark

I have one problem with black bear meat: the women in my family are afraid of it. They bought in big on the trichinosis threat, and tend to overcook it until it's tougher than punky wood.

Grinding it up into hamburger and mixing it with ground pork seemed to solve that problem, and it ends up as outstanding burger and sausage stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I don't think spring bb meat is a requirement to harvest. FALL is a requirement.
    Actually, it is the opposite in most units. In Unit 6 and 7 at least, you are required to salvage the meat before June 1st, but not afterwards.

Can you make jerky out of blackie meat? If so what seasonings do you use?

My family became believers in bear meat this year.
    They had never had bear before & were skeptical, but willing to try it.
    We had a big extended family function with about 18 people.
    My wife has a family reputation for moose roast that is to die for & since several of the people at the dinner were from out of state & had never had moose it was requested that my wife do moose roast.
    Well she did, but she also did black bear roast.
    Everybody triedthe bear, & each took a second helping. The moose was it's normal excellent self but about half said the preferred the bear.
    My wife cooked itthe same way she cooked the moose.
    I'm a believer!!!!!!!!!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default bear meat

Black bear is my favorite game meat. As others said, avoid fish eating bear if you're planning on eating it. I do almost all of my bear hunting in the blueberries, and the meat is always excellent. Smoked hams are great, hamburger is good, and it is the best stew meat you've ever had. I generally don't cut any bear steaks because I like my steaks med-rare, which you can't do with bear.
    BTW, I also eat grizzly meat. Same rule applies as with black bear. A grizz that has been eating fish isn't worth the bullet it takes to kill it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast