Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on 45 ACP Makes/Models

Default Opinions on 45 ACP Makes/Models

I am thinking of getting another 45, currently have a Kimber and really like it but just thought I would see what likes and dislikes others have. Also what seems to be the latest and greatest in this line. I am looking at just target shooting and maybe some matches.

My Kimber pro cdp is my constant companion and favorite carry gun. I also own a Springfield xd and an old 70 series colt that Tim Tompson did some custom magic on.

Both have there place the xd is my severe duty gun that has been 100% reliable with no failures to date and I'm not afraid to scratch it. Inexpensive functional and rugged.

The old Colt is just plain cool and has become like an old friend that accompany's me to the range often but doesn't do anything the other two won't.

They all shoot better than I do

I've owned 45 autos on an off over the years, and to me they're all pretty much similar with small differences sometimes making big improvements in handling and function.

Gotta say that I absolutely HATE crawling around on my hands and knees chasing brass, losing bunches in the grass in the hills where I do 99% of my shooting rather than on the range. Based on that, I kinda think of the 45 ACP as a revolver round and use it in Smith, Ruger and Colt guns. The new M&P model announced by Smith looks like it could move me back to semis, though. That thing looks really sweet!

Gotta say that I also shot a fair number of deer with various 45 ACPs, both semis and revolvers in years past, mostly as a way of "testing" terminal ballistics on potential carry loads. At that time and with bullets available then, killing results STUNK. The only ones that came close to being reliable one-shot deer killers were the Remington 185 grain hps (which didn't expand, but had a flat nose) and hard wadcutters pushed at max vel. Stick a FN bullet in the case for rounds used in revolvers, and it killed quite as well as the 45 LC, which is a sincere compliment.

But anything with a rounded nose would break your heart, and the highly touted 230-grain hardball was next to useless. Using it, my routine was to double tap on deer, just in the hopes of landing a second round to shorten the tracking job.

I've moved on to other things and other calibers now, but with some of the newer bullets I bet the 45 ACP in an auto might make a decent deer round. But if I pick up the new Smith, it sure isn't going to carry hardball if I use it for carry. I'll guaran****tee you on that one!

Default Wilson

It's really hard to beat a Wilson .45 Tactical if you can drop some serious cash. Also, depending on the size of the weapon you want, an HK USP Tactical, Kimber Desert Warrior, or a Para Ordinance Carry 12 are all fine pistols as well. Good luck!

I carry a Kimber raptor II custom, I replaced the rose wood grips with Hogue grips. I really like the way it fits in my hand. so far it has been very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibut Chaser View Post
    I am looking at just target shooting and maybe some matches.
    If you are thinking of shooting Bullseye and have the money, Les Baer makes an outstanding Bullseye gun. Costs less than his fancy tacticals, too!

Thumbs up S&w 1911

Very good deal 1911 with all the bells for under 1K from S&W.
    Alaska

I really like my Glock 30 in .45 ACP.

I bought it 6 years ago and immediately took it to Gunsite Training Center and put 350 rounds through it in 3 days.

I've carried it ever since and for the size, weight, and ease of maintenance.... I'll never get a different one.

KRS

Default Kimber

I've shot quite a few different .45s and many of them have been 1911s, some stock and some custom. For a factory pistol, I've found it hard to beat a Kimber of any description as they come with features you pay extra for on any of the others. Granted, I am a bit biased as I own two Kimbers and have shot a few more. Just my $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I've owned 45 autos on an off over the years, and to me they're all pretty much similar with small differences sometimes making big improvements in handling and function.

Gotta say that I absolutely HATE crawling around on my hands and knees chasing brass, losing bunches in the grass in the hills where I do 99% of my shooting rather than on the range. Based on that, I kinda think of the 45 ACP as a revolver round and use it in Smith, Ruger and Colt guns. The new M&P model announced by Smith looks like it could move me back to semis, though. That thing looks really sweet!

Gotta say that I also shot a fair number of deer with various 45 ACPs, both semis and revolvers in years past, mostly as a way of "testing" terminal ballistics on potential carry loads. At that time and with bullets available then, killing results STUNK. The only ones that came close to being reliable one-shot deer killers were the Remington 185 grain hps (which didn't expand, but had a flat nose) and hard wadcutters pushed at max vel. Stick a FN bullet in the case for rounds used in revolvers, and it killed quite as well as the 45 LC, which is a sincere compliment.

But anything with a rounded nose would break your heart, and the highly touted 230-grain hardball was next to useless. Using it, my routine was to double tap on deer, just in the hopes of landing a second round to shorten the tracking job.

I've moved on to other things and other calibers now, but with some of the newer bullets I bet the 45 ACP in an auto might make a decent deer round. But if I pick up the new Smith, it sure isn't going to carry hardball if I use it for carry. I'll guaran****tee you on that one!
    The new s&w MP line is great, i have and M&P .40 and love it. Fits great feels great and shoots great. It has to have one if not the best trigger for an out of the box gun...!

Default Kimber Stainless II

I have a Kimber Custom II stainless that I just can't get enough of. Seems to be the perfect pistol for me. I also put the Pachmayr American Legend grips on it, MToutdoorsman gave them to me, and I really like how it fits in my hand. Never had a jam, unless you count the time i was fumbling with the magazine and didnt get the case all the way in and it didn't feed right, but I won't count that. The porcupine didn't get away either!

Default Thanks Guys

Thanks guys for the input. Its interesting to hear how others feel about their 45's. I am looking very hard at the Kimber Grand Raptor II, I already have another Kimber and really like it. So just have to get off the dime and spend the money (ooch!!).

Besides kimber I have shot the Smith and wesson and Dan Wesson 1911's

The Smith I shot was really really nice. And very accurate.

Dan Wesson Makes a very nice 1911. They come loaded with great parts from various makers, match barrels and are some of the best fitted 1911's around. If I get another 1911 it will be a Dan Wesson again. I have one in 10mm that is a outstanding gun. Nowhere where two parts meet together is there any gaps. And as long as the ammo is not to rough it will feed it. The only ammo that gave me fits was the stuff from the ammo smith guy at the gun shows. And its accuracy is outstanding. On a side note, my dan wesson was made when CZ took over.

Default Old man....

WOW!
    I didnt know you had a Kimber... I knew I did, in fact Its on my couch right now.... you should get the grand raptor II this weekend so we can go on Sunday!
    and reload some rounds so we have something to shoot!

-Ben

Default STI International

I'm thinking about getting one of these next.http://www.stiguns.com/Their double stacks are nice.

Glock 1st, H&K 2nd

Default Bought It

Picked up the Kimber Grand Raptor II this weekend. Took it out to the Palmer range Sunday and started breaking it in. So far I am very happy with it. Thanks for all your input!!!

Bill

I have a Les Bauer Premier II for bullseye..shoots really well. I have close to 5K rds through it, not a hiccup. Has an Ultra dot.

For a hardball paper punching gun, I would recommend either the Rock River or the Les Bauer, both are great guns.

Carry gun, etc: Lots of them out there, I am not sure.
    To me the XD looks and feels great, I thought the Ruger 45's shot well, Kimbers look good, the Glock 36 is small, buy them all, that is my goal.

And I have Colt series 70 I have had for 30 years in reserve.
    I had a love affiar with Star PDs for a while, carried good, shot little.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibut Chaser View Post
    I am thinking of getting another 45, currently have a Kimber and really like it but just thought I would see what likes and dislikes others have. Also what seems to be the latest and greatest in this line. I am looking at just target shooting and maybe some matches.

Kimbers are hit or miss anymore for quality control. Most need to have their chamber reamed anymore. I Have a Series 1 Kimber and they were good back then. The new Series 2 guns suck. If you want a good 1911 you need to go semi custom like Wilson, Les Baer, Night Hawk ect. I have a Wilson CQB as well and its the best combat pistol I have ever owned and its also my duty gun.

Personally I prefer the 45 acp be in a 1911. I respect Glocks, Sigs, HK's ect and have owned them all at one point. But I would just asssume have those guns in 9mm. 1911's run best in 45 acp. Where most other guns run best in 9mm because that is what they were generally designed around.That goes for Glocks, Sigs and Hk. Although the USP was originally designed for the 40sw.
    Pat

I love the Smith & Wesson M&P .45. The trigger is awesome and it is a great shooter.

Another great option is the new Taurus 1911. They did their homework and for the money... Nice gun.

For my money, these are the top two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast