Thread: Kodiak commercial troll fishery

Default Kodiak commercial troll fishery

Proposal 59 in the Kodiak meeting of the Board of Fish would establish a Kodiak commercial troll fishery - this is a new fishery.

The fishery would target coho and chinook salmon and I believe a large portion of the harvest would come from non-local stocks. For example, recent tagging data on chinook salmon shows that fish from as far away as Oregon feed around the island, along with BC fish, SE fish, Upper Cook Inlet chinook, and Washington fish. This troll fishery would be targeting those stocks. Coho stocks are also likely to be targeted from non-local sources.

The Board of Fish has made this a restructuring proposal so it will be discussed in detail.

If you object, and I hope a number of people do, send your comments to the ADF&G, boards Support Section, P.O. Box 115526, Juneau, Alaska 99811-5526. Comments must be received by Dec. 27th.

Also, in the Kodiak proposals there are a number that expand the cape fisheries on sockeye salmon headed to Upper Cook Inlet. For example proposal 54,55. There are too many to list here.

If one wants to decrease the interception of Upper Cook Inlet bound fish by the Kodiak seine fleet then one should oppose these proposals.

I know that some people feel less sockeye returning to UCI may mean better sport fishing but that is short sighted. They take more than just sockeye in these fisheries.

Nerka, can you shed some light on how the SE troll fishery operates? My understanding is that they also target a high percentage of non-local fish, including those from Canada and Washington/Oregon. Do you oppose this fishery as well? (That's not meant to be a confrontational question - I really know very little about how this fishery is managed.)

Thanks for the input.

Default no problem with SE

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Nerka, can you shed some light on how the SE troll fishery operates? My understanding is that they also target a high percentage of non-local fish, including those from Canada and Washington/Oregon. Do you oppose this fishery as well? (That's not meant to be a confrontational question - I really know very little about how this fishery is managed.)

Thanks for the input.
    No, I do not oppose the SE fishery since it is a traditional fishery which has a history of management plans. The Kodiak fishery is a brand new fishery and as such should be evaluated on what fish it targets, how the catch would impact other area fisheries, and what impacts on management take place.

In the case of Kodiak, the chinook and coho fisheries around the state are usually full allocated so any additional harvest would be to reduce the other area fisheries. Second, when a harvest takes place the harvest should be sampled to figure out streams of origin. That helps management keep track of production.

In the SE fishery hundreds of thousands of dollars have been spent to figure that out - with limited results. Does the State really want to do that with a new fishery in Kodiak? If they do not commit fish managers may see a decrease in returns in UCI and that would impact escapement goal setting and management approach. Also troll fisheries that target feeding chinook does not allow harvest of the largest biomass. That growth in the marine environment allows for a higher biomass when the fish return to their stream of origin.

So for new fisheries I think that the criteria for acceptance should be very high relative to the questions above. Hope this answers your questions.

Default proposal 34...

...is similar in nature, requesting troll gear for the Chignik management area and this one has also been flagged as a "restructuring" proposal by the Board.

so my understanding is that if there were a troll fishery in kodiak and chignik it would fall under a "statewide troll" limited entry permit, is that correct? There should be a pilot fishery to figure out where the fish are actually from before a full fledge fishery is put in place.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.