To All,

I wanted to report back here on the outcome of our program to try to get game meat to military families whose hunters were deployed. I haven't heard back yet from all the hunters who participated, but it looks like we were only able to get meat to three or four military families. This wasn't near the success we were hoping for and I apologize to the military families out there who wanted and needed meat whom we couldn't help.

I want to thank the hunters who participated and offered to donate meat if they were successful. And those who did end up donating meat. You guys are the best! And a big thanks to David Johnson and ODD for helping both financially and via this forum to try to get the word out.

This was a learning experience for me. I think it was a learning experience for a lot of us who tried to make this work. I should have nailed down a more definitive way to store and transport meat to the outlying villages where meat was needed the most. I should have tried to get the food bank involved too.

Anyway, thanks again to all who helped and offered to help. I am genuinely sorry things didn't turn out better, and take full responsibility for that.
Mark Richards
co-chair Alaska Backcountry Hunters and Anglers