Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation banquet

Default Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation banquet

Just a reminder for those who are interested in attending this years Cook Inlet Chapter banquet at the Egan Center in Anchorage. The banquet is on November 10th and social hour starts at 5:30pm.

The deadline for "Early Bird" registration is this coming Saturday (10/20), so if you want to get into the Early Bird drawing get your registration taken care of by Saturday evening.

You can register on-line by going to www.rmef.org and click on "ATTEND AN EVENT" and go to the Cook Inlet Chapter on-line registration. If you prefer something a little more personalized, call Paul at 907-349-7971 to order tickets over the phone.

The banquet will feature live and silent auctions, raffles, games, door prizes and our world famous (almost) Ladies Balloon Raffle where only the ladies can buy a balloon ($20) and the prize is always worth at least that much and often much or more. The ladies will also like the Blue Fox stoll that will be raffled off. There are prizes geared towards the kids and/or grandkids, so bring the whole family.

It's not too late to donate or to help out by volunteering. Call Tom at 907-242-7821 if you'd like to help out with that.

Come enjoy an evening helping us fulfill our mission of...Ensuring the future of elk, other wildlife and their habitat.

A special thanks to David for allowing me to post this on the Hunting Forum.

Hope to see you all there on November 10th!

bump.

Thanks for looking. Hope you'll join us on November 10th.

bump.

Just a reminder that today (Saturday 10/20) is the last day for "Early Bird" registration and entry into the Early Bird drawing for a Craig Tennant framed print. Craig has been choosen as the 2008 RMEF Artist of the Year, so you know his work is top notch. Get registered by calling Paul or using the website.

For you guys that collect guns and/or are Ruger fanatics, the 2007 RMEF Big Game Banquet Rifle is for you. There were only 450 of these rifles made exclusively for RMEF, and we've got one of them. It's a Ruger #1 1B in .338 WinMag, using American walnut for the stock with beautiful engraving and plated in 24 kt gold by Baron Technology. This Ruger classic will be a live auction item. Get your tickets today, and you'll be in the Early Bird drawing as well.

Hope to see you at the Egan Center on November 10th

Default Rmef

Looking forward to this banquet and bringing the lucky lady. Hopefully I can win something Does anyone know if this is the same day the ducks unlimited banquet is going on??

Joe

http://www.gibline.com/alaskajoe

Forgive my ignorance, but what is it that the RMEF does in Alaska? I've never understood why people join this organization in Southcental AK, as we don't have a native elk population. That being said, I know that I'm clueless as to what this organization does, so I'm sure there is something of value being done. How does the RMEF benefit Alaskans?

Thumbs up RMEF in Alaska

Brian, I'm glad you asked since like many people, you don't realize that we do have 2 viable elk populations in Alaska. One group consisting of about 6-7 herds that is on Afognak and Raspberry Islands which is in the Kodiak archipeligo. The second group is on Etolin and Zarembo Islands which are southwest of Petersburg and Wrangell.

What good does the RMEF do for Alaskans? Another excellent question that many people are not aware of. The Alaskan Chapters of RMEF (Cook Inlet, MatSu, the new chapter in Fairbanks, and former chapters in Kodiak and Sitka) have raised approximately $700K in the last 15 years from their banquets and fundraisers. RMEF and their conservation partners have put over $5M dollars back into Alaska. Some of that is in the form of conservation and education grants which have mostly gone to ADF&G and Hunter Heritage. RMEF has been a major sponsor of the annual Youth Day at Birchwood Shooting Park that is spearheaded by Alaska Gun Collectors. We've partnered with Ruffed Grouse Society to do habitat work on the moose range outside of Palmer. About 1 years ago we closed on a big land and timber rights purchase on the north part of Afognak Island that added 4200 acres of public land to the Alaska State Parks system that previously was owned by the local native corporation. Land that you had to pay a trespass fee to get onto. That 4200 acres was prime elk winter habitat as well as part of the Exxon Valdez oil spill area that was rehabilitated. Check out the article by Melissa DeVaughn in the ADN for a better understanding about the story involving that project (http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/81...-8071182c.html). RMEF is currently working with the ADF&G biologists in Petersburg and Juneau by helping to fund a multi-year study of the elk in southeast Alaska.

How many non-profit conservation groups that operate in Alaska can say they have returned the money they have raised at a ratio of 7:1? How many non-profit conservation groups can say that they have added over 6 square miles of public land to the Alaska State Parks system that you can use at any time you want to hunt, fish, camp or hike and at the same time ensured winter range for the 2 elk herds that range throughout the northern part of Afognak Island by ensuring old growth timber is not going to be harvested. In addition to that, we are currently working on expanding that area to complete a public lands corridor along the entire northern shore of Afognak.

So I have to say that I think RMEF has done quite a bit for Alaskans and we continue to do more. If you or anyone else would like to volunteer to help us we can always use the help as there are only about 15-20 active volunteers in the state. One of the reasons I volunteer is because I love the elk and that RMEF spends $0.89 out of every dollar it raises on habitat and/or education. That's nearly 5 million acres preserved or enhanced in North America. So help us fulfill our mission...ensuring the future of elk, other wildlife and their habitat.

I'm sorry for the long drawn out manifesto. You are probably sorry that you asked. There is more to learn and I'd be happy to sit down with you some time over a cold beer and we can talk.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please reply back and I'll be willing to answer anything that you bring up.

Are you coming to the banquet? Bring your wife and win a Blue Fox stoll for her! You do that and I'll guarantee you can bid on any gun or hunt that you want! I hope to see you there.

Tom

Default RMEF in Alaska-part 2

Brian,

I think I may have missed the intent of your original question, so I'll try again.

Yes there are no native elk in southcentral. As far as that goes, there are no native elk in Alaska. The elk that are here were introduced to Afognak back in 1928 or something like that. The elk on Etolin were introduced over a period of years back in the 40's and 50's if I recall correctly. Maybe someone could help me with the dates.

Although we don't have elk in southcentral (and never will as ADF&G will not allow a non-native introduction) most of our volunteers had previous lives in elk country while living in the lower 48.

Maybe that answers your question a little better. At least I hope it does.

Tom

Thanks for the answer, Tom. Basically, I was just curious if the money that the Alaska chapter raises stays in Alaska. I figured that it did, but was just curious. Glad to hear that you guys have been able to do so much good.

And yes, I was aware of the elk herds that we have and of their origins. Again, the question was mainly one of curiousity as to how your group uses its funds and powers of advocacy. Sounds like you're doing some great stuff.

Default money in AK

While not a member of RMEF, I have sat with Ross Hayden in FAI who is heading up the banguet here as he has tried to raise donations and support.
    There are rules about how much money an organization must keep in the state from fundraisers. It appears through spreadsheets and other info I looked at that RMEF takes that seriously. Some other organizations don't appear to be playing quite by the rules.
    RMEF has supported everything from land purchases to ADF&G to Women's Hunting/Outdoor days and Ruffed Grouse habitat. I find that Ross is very amenable to discussing what RMEF does, and plans to do in Alaska. Seems to me to be more than a fair way to know where your hard earned money and support is going.
    I would be at this years banquet just for grins if I weren't going to be on a deer hunt with my daughter.

Most big Org. will ask or mandate local chapters to send a portion or all the money they raise. NOW with that. If a chapter needs money they can request more fund. Is this a good thing for "US" Alaskans? Will that's asking if the glass half empty of half full. I have my personal thoughts of this.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default funds

Gary,

You bring up another good point that most people are not aware of.

The Alaska gaming laws which all games of chance (raffles,etc.) fall under are strictly controlled by where and when the proceeds are used by the organization that has a gaming license. All net proceeds from games must be used in Alaska. In our case, no gaming money, NONE, goes to Missoula which is where the RMEF corporate office is at. Additionally, all net proceeds from games must be used in Alaska within 1 year from the time of the event. That is the difficult part of the equation for RMEF since there are not tons of worthwhile elk related projects to work on. Consequently we have done projects involving other species and a significant portion of our gaming money goes to education (particularly youth).

We have a unique situation in Alaska regarding the gaming money that is also found in North Dakota (or maybe it's South Dakota). As stated in a previous post, we've gotten a return of 7:1 from Missoula, so I think we're doing very well for Alaskan elk and Alaska's people.

Tom

Angry What they do IS NOT GOOD!!!!

As far as in Alaska I really cant say but I do know first hand what they do in Pennsylvania. AND NONE OF IT IS ANY GOOD!!!!!! they help to close public lands to hunting!!!! They help to steal private land from longtime land owners under the Eminat-Domain SP act. They use PA taxpayer money to buy land and then donate it to Green Land Conservancy groups Who close it to hunting forever!!! they ....

Don't get me started on them

THEY ARE NOT THE GOOD GUYS!!!!!!!!!!

WE need to run them as far out of Alaska as we can!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by smwwoody; 10-28-2007 at 23:14. Reason: spelling

Default Research

Quote Originally Posted by smwwoody View Post
    As far as in Alaska I really cant say but I do know first hand what they do in Pennsylvania. AND NONE OF IT IS ANY GOOD!!!!!! they help to close public lands to hunting!!!! They help to steal private land from longtime land owners under the Eminat-Domain SP act. They use PA taxpayer money to buy land and then donate it to Green Land Conservancy groups Who close it to hunting forever!!! they ....

Don't get me started on them

THEY ARE NOT THE GOOD GUYS!!!!!!!!!!

WE need to run them as far out of Alaska as we can!!!!!!!!!!
    I think you should do more research on the RMEF, they are staunch advocates of hunting and conservation. By the way hunting, is a form of conservation. The RMEF has played a major role in reintroducing elk to KY and TN, and there are probably other states as well. As of a couple of years ago, both states have opened special hunts for elk that have not enjoyed had a native elk population in over 100 years. They are also very involved in maintaining a viable elk population throughout the US and are probably involved in AK Elk management as well. I am not happy when areas close to public hunting either, but sometimes areas must be closed to conserve an over hunted population in order to preserve that population and let it rebound. If we all don't take responsibility for conservation, the future generations won't be able to participate in the outdoor activities we enjoy, especially hunting. We can't be greedy and only concerned with what we want for ourselves but we must look out for our children's future oportunities as well. Don't be narrow minded you need to look at the big picture. We need to take lessons from our forefathers who, without proper education on management, desimated the wild game populations throughout the US. Let us not allow that to happen again and support those that look out for the future of hunting or the US will become just like Europe, with no public hunting because there are no animals to hunt.
    Last edited by OKElkHunter; 10-29-2007 at 11:30. Reason: grammer

Default Rmef

I have to say that I have put a few years of research into the RMEF. The land closures that I talk about were never open to Elk Hunting and never will be. The RMEF helped to close the large tracts of land to all hunting so the many thousands of tourests that come to PA every year can pull off of the road into the "road side elk viewing areas" and watch the socalled "WILD PA elk" mill around in front of them and not be offended by a small game or deer hunter in the area. they also use state grant money to buy private land only to turn around and resell it to the state (someone is getting rich here) so it can be turned into a preserve and closed to any kind of public use, you are not even aloud to walk on it! This is all for the good of and elk heard that spends most of its time in the sorounding towns going from yard to yard eating flowers and shrubs. While people walk up to within 10 yards of them to take their photo. I have seven file boxes full of the paper work to back this up if you are interested in learning more about what good they have been up to in Pennsylvania.

Default Misinformed

Quote Originally Posted by smwwoody View Post
    I have to say that I have put a few years of research into the RMEF. The land closures that I talk about were never open to Elk Hunting and never will be. The RMEF helped to close the large tracts of land to all hunting so the many thousands of tourests that come to PA every year can pull off of the road into the "road side elk viewing areas" and watch the socalled "WILD PA elk" mill around in front of them and not be offended by a small game or deer hunter in the area. they also use state grant money to buy private land only to turn around and resell it to the state (someone is getting rich here) so it can be turned into a preserve and closed to any kind of public use, you are not even aloud to walk on it!
    RMEF does not sell any of the land it aquires. It's turned over to the state with the stipulation that it is to be forever open to the public. Nobody is getting rich here. RMEF is a nonprofit organization, and one of the very best at turning almost every cent that is raised towards it's goals.
    Last edited by Brian M; 10-30-2007 at 13:51. Reason: fixing quote

Default RMEF in PA.

Hi woody,

I wish I could answer your questions and concerns that you have regarding RMEF and it's work in PA. But I just simply can't, because I don't know the details.

If you would like to provide me with the details to what you've obviously put lots of time and effort into, I'd be happy to pass them along to people that can provide those answers. Please PM me with any and all questions, or reply here so that everyone can see what your concerns are if that is your preference.

For those of you following this thread, you can get more information about the Pennsylvania Wilds Elk Visitor Center that woody is posting about at www.rmef.org/Conservation/.

Tom

Default Elk in South Central

I wish that the AK Dept of Fish and Game would transplant some elk into the Copper River Basin.

Elk were common in this region before the last Ice Age and the blockage that caused Lake Ahtna.

It used to be that there were pine trees in this area and there are elk in the Yukon Territory. The sheep population is undergoing increased pressure by predators because of Global warming.

Elk might expand into a niche that could support them and offer a very good alternative.

The Bison herds in the basin are doing well. I think that a transplanted herd of Rocky Mountain Elk not Roosevelt Elk would be good for the area on a biological basis.

This is just my opinion but I believe that Elk might survive in the Basin where deer have a hard time.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Default Banquet

If you're only going to attend ONE banquet fundraiser this year; then the RMEF banquet would be that one. It's done with class and doesn't have the "carnival" atmosphere that is experienced at most of the local banquet fundraisers.

See ya there, Tom.

Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Taylor View Post
    It's done with class and doesn't have the "carnival" atmosphere that is experienced at most of the local banquet fundraisers.

See ya there, Tom.

Taylor
    What banquet have you been to that has that type of atmosphere??
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Fairbanks banquet

I joined the Fairbanks RMEF chapter committee last week to help out Ross Hayden and a great organization. Ross was putting the entire banquet together by himself. The banquet is being held on 17 Nov at the Princess Hotel.

If you are interested in attending the banquet 18 seats are still open. If you are interested in donating, all donations are welcome.

Feel free to contact me by PM for more information.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast