Thread: Questions on a harvest sheep area

Default Questions on a harvest sheep area

Hello, I'm coming up for 2008 from Colorado to hunt sheep with my brother (AK resident) He loves to fish and climb just not hunt, out of luck there.

Right now I'm pouring over harvest reports, this forum, and plan to call some people at AKF&G (and just came from the gym)

So here I go,,,,, anyone want to point me in a dirrection on a area? These subunits are still huge, and without physically seeing the area I'm having issues narrowing it down to even a 10-15 square mile area. It will be my once in my life hunt, any info would die with me.

Currently I'm looking at 19, 16, parts of 14, and know we will have more draw areas this coming year, we would like to travel out of or near Anchorage. (of course I'll take my chances in the lottery but it has not treated me well the last 5 years, I know, many have waited longer) We are planning on flying in.

So theres my story, why dont I hire a guide? Cant afford it, and everyone I've had a chance to talk about says to talk with friends, well my friends dont hunt in AK so I'm putting a plea out here.

Do I expect to get handed a pet area of someone's, no, but maybe someone out there, has a line on an area to do some further research into, a good area they don't plan on hunting anymore? any info would be truely appreciated, for someone like me trying to hunt out of state, there are limited resources out there.

Thank for your time, please feel free to PM me,

I have a great deal of knowledge about bighorns and areas here in CO that I would be happy to pass on as well for those who wish to know,

First off make sure to put in for some draws, I'd go with Tok, Delta and kenai or the 14c draw has the best draw rate for rams.

Second as far as I know all of unit 14 is going to a drawing so remember that.

Third your guess is as good as mine as to where the legal sheep are. Get in shape and good luck
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default dig and dig

for info, poor over all the resources you can find. You not going to get much help for sheep hunting, at least not on an area or spot to start your hunt. Spend the money and fly in, your chances go up.

Also you need to keep in mind that your brother needs to be with you while your in the field. Dont foreget that he is acting as your guide and MUST be with you at all times. In other words you cant be up on the mountain and your brother back in camp.

Im sure there will be some that will post here that all he has to be is in the field with you. Im here to tell you that is not the case and make no mistakes about it, he is your guide, just like if you had paid 10K and hired one. He is responsible for everything that happens and is required to be directing your hunt. You harvest a sub legal ram, he is responsible just like a hired guide

akhunter02

Thanks for the tip, I figured it would come up, we have researched and talked to a few people about this and feel we fully understand this requirement and what it means,

And really my brother would not have it anyother way, and we will to obey ALL game laws and requirements of the above law, thats just who were are as sportmans anyway, there is no grey area with us!

Default good to hear

that you have done your home work, too many go afield not knowing what they have gotten themselves into and end up with a very bad and expensive lesson learned. PM me

You may have already figured this out, but just in case. Get on the state web page and look for the general season hunt maps. You can look for "Sheep" and then see all the areas in the state where you can do general season sheep hunting. Next get on google earth and look at all of those areas. Are they close (less than a few miles) from a road, next to a river, lots of population centers (Kenai), etc. Since you are already looking at the harvest reports, you have an idea how many sheep are coming out of areas. I think it has been on here before, but a good plan in general might be 25A, and flying out with Coyote Air from Coldfoot. Good luck.

Default Welcome from Colorado!!

Welcome to the boards from another former Colorado Native!!!

A couple of things.
    Colorado is VERY different from anything you will ever experience in Alaska. You know all of the 14ers...? they are like 6,000ft mountains here. Only up you will have is that you will already be acclimated. Serious. Only advantage.
    Sheep hunting is far more rugged and is a difficult hunt. My husband could come back to Colorado and climb any mountain with me because most are day hikes (unless it's Holy Cross or Longs Peak... or if you get more technical Pyramid Peak and any of the mountains near Aspen like Conundrum, Castle, or Marroon Bells). Here, though, it's rugged terrain and then you have to pack out your sheep. You do have the option of doing a walk in, fly in, or use an ATV.. but there are disadvantages to all of the above.
    You stated that you would do a fly in... there are a couple of local and excellent air charters that you could do. If you wanted to go out of Anchorage, I hear that Willow Air Service is a good bet for you. If you are going to be in Fairbanks, Wright Air Service might be your best service.
    Also, there is an Alaskan ToPo map program that you could probably order from REI. There is a great guy there at the service desk at REI Downtown/Old Forney Museum (the one that is next to Paris on the Platte Coffeehouse) and he could definitely help you to locate a topo map program for Alaska.
    There was another gentleman that said, "Good Luck and get in shape."
    I couldn't emphasize those more clearly. Get in shape. It's the best way to do it... and considering how warm Colorado is right now, it would be good for you to take a climb or 2, do a winter camp and see if it's something you could handle now.. because during sheep season in some areas of Alaska, it will snow.

I have other advice, too. If you have specific questions, you could PM me.
    Post pictures of the big horns if you have any and share a story or two. We would love to read about them!
    Lurker.

Here is a pic of my brothers bow ram this year, I've got 6 years invested in the draw, hopefully I'll get a tag one of these years.

I spent 4 days with him, left the day before he took this one, we were getting into sheep everyday, some within 50-60 yards, it was the 8th day of his hunt. Draw areas are pretty well known here but PM me if you would like a more specific location, besides CO I blacked his face just because I couldn't get ahold of him before I posted

What a beauty!!!
    From the looks of it, Sangre de Cristo Range?
    Eh... who knows. PM me because I would LOVE to know where you were able to get that!
    Like I said before... what a beauty!

On an added note, are you planning on spending some extended time while you are here in AK or are you planning on going straight back to Colorado?
    I have some good suggestions on flights, too.
    United might be good for you, but Frontier Airlines might be your best bet because they usually don't have a full flight load.
    So... I'll look forward to your PM.
    Lurker.

thats an awesome picture of an awesome ram
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

MNTS_R_MY_PLYGRND

Default Couldn' Help but notice

Is your bro sportin' the Lowa Sheephunters. I bought those boots this spring and used them all summer/fall, by far the best boots I've ever worn.

He has Cabelas Alaska Hunter Boots by Meindl, and I wear the Ibex, Its the best boot I've worn, I may think about another pair, but on that trip we side-hilled and climbed a bunch of miles, besides the extra toe guard, and its a bit stiffer, they are the same boot to me,,,but I think the Ibex has a bit more all-around support because of the height,,,,,,,,,still looking locally for a pair of Lowa sheephunters to try on, but for now, sold on my current boots,,,

Amazing!
    That kind of beauty in that particular unit!
    That's GREAT for you guys. Serious!
    Like I said before... what a beauty!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Lurker.