Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Topo maps

Default Topo maps

Where's the best place to get topo maps? I used to get them from the fed building,I think,been awhile.Are they any better,or more detailed with the new satellites or imaging nowadays. I think the maps I have are dated from the 50's or 60's.

Default topo Maps

well if you have a computer and a printer you could buy the national geographic topo map program at sportsmans warehouse and you would get great detail and print where you want to go in any view and scale. that is what i have and i really like it. if you have a gps you can track your route that way. just a sugestion is all.
    have a great day

The Map Store on the APU (Alaska Pacific University) campus has every Alaska map known to man including nautical charts. Reasonable prices as well.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Usgs

http://store.usgs.gov/locator/?store...=?~okcode=SESH

You can download a PDF for free or you purchase frome the site. Also the USGS has a store in anchorage. It should be listed as the Map Store.

Thanks for all the suggestions. But are these maps any more detailed then the older ones.I would assume they are with todays tech.

Google Earth

The USGS sometimes are but not always. When in the bush I havent found one newer than the 1980's. so good for landmarks but less so when refering to changes in rivers.

anyone have an Alaska Maptech CD I can borrow? I can lend you CD's for MT, CO, AZ or NM in return. I am planning several hunts to AK in future years and would like to plot some maps to study.
    Thanks
    DonV Ohio

Try www.topozone.com maps online and you can have them print waterproof maps and send them to you by snail mail for a reasonable fee

Thumbs up National Geograpic Topos

I agree, 100 Bucks and you will have every map in alaska to print how ever you want, to what ever scale you want, and track or make plans in your GPS. It will even plot your elevation gain, decent, on your course.

If you need a specific area you can go to Sportsman warehouse and print it out. Or APU and buy a map there.

I have done both before along with print maps from my computer using Alaska topo.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Nat Geo gets 2 thumbs up here

The Nat Geo software is the way to go. It is an easy program to use and decent detail on the maps. Good luck, Pang

Default Alaska Geophysical Institute...

I get my maps here. 1:64,000 is my choice but depends on what you are doing. I float rivers and fly fish. Those maps give me plenty of info. Call them and tell them where you are going and they can tell you what maps you need. They have them mailed right out to you. Super nice folks and knowledgable. Associated with University of Alaska Fairbanks if I am not mistaken. Here is their contact info.

Hours of operation: 8 AM - 5 PM (Alaska Standard Time), Monday through Friday

For more information phone(907)474-6960, emailmaps@gi.alaska.edu, or FAX (907)474-2645

Default NASA Worldwind

I flip between google looking for trails, and this NASA Worldwind program. With Worldwind you can look at sat photos like google but then one click and you get topo as well.... and its all free courtesy of the feds...

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/

Also like Expert GPS for tracking...

AK_Aggie

Default Map Software

My personal suggestion is to try ExpertGPS. It's the program I use and I love it. Not only can you zoom in and choose the scale of map that you want to print, but it will load photos as well if they are available. It also works with your GPS to plan your route or figure out where you really went . It was pretty cheap too for all the features it offers. You can try it for a while for free (download it on-line) before you have to buy it was well, so you can figure out if it's what you want before you sink the $45 bucks for it. Just my $0.02

Fuse

Default can you print them....

Many of you are using software programs of mapping data. Can you print off what you find on those sites. I have only ordered maps from USGS or The Geophsical Institute in Fairbanks. They offer exceptional maps, but do cost like $6-7 each and I usually need 4-5 of them to cover the river. I have had great sucess with these maps and laminate them of course. Can you get quality maps printed from the websites you guys mention? It would be cheaper I suppose if possible.

Default Maybe

Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1 View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. But are these maps any more detailed then the older ones.I would assume they are with todays tech.
    The USGS quad maps don't get updated very often. But it is easy to find out...the online sources like topozone.com should list the USGS maps used to create the mosaic on the screen. Also, there should be a place on the USGS website that lists the latest date the maps have been updated. If not, go to a map store and just look at the dates on the bottom of the maps that they sell and see if they are any newer than what you have. Other than some deviations on river locations and glacial extents, not much has changed in 50 years...

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
    The USGS quad maps don't get updated very often. But it is easy to find out...the online sources like topozone.com should list the USGS maps used to create the mosaic on the screen. Also, there should be a place on the USGS website that lists the latest date the maps have been updated. If not, go to a map store and just look at the dates on the bottom of the maps that they sell and see if they are any newer than what you have. Other than some deviations on river locations and glacial extents, not much has changed in 50 years...
    True enough, for the rural parts of Alaska. But....for the railbelt and road connected areas, there have been huge changes, Parks, Glenn and Seward Highways, rail extensions, townsites springing up and just look at what has happened in the Palmer, Wasilla and Pt. McKensie regions. Not only do you need topo maps, if you want to familiarize yourself with these areas, you will also need road map programs and then do overlays.

Default National Geo TOPO

I purchased off E-Bay a copy of these Nat Goe TOPO program and love it.
    You have to watch the date on any map very careful as some places have had new surveys done some have not. Same is true with Nautical Maps, you can still by the 1972 survey but the latest is 2001, or so.
    The newer TOPO would be nice but I get as much detail as I need off my 4 year old copy. Always can get the book version of the whole state to.
    Watch your scale to get the detail you want too.
    TOPO will let you attach a GPS to your PC and show routes I never made mine work.

Default usgs Maps online

USGS maps can be downloaded for free from these 2 sites.

http://store.usgs.gov/locator/
    these maps are in the PDF format.

http://agdc.usgs.gov/data/usgs/to_geo.html
    I use the DRG formatted ones and use them in Ozie explorer. a GPS program.

For the most part, I think the maps (USGS) you can get today are the same ones made long ago and haven,'t been updated for many years.

Mountain Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast