Thread: Bad Swamp hole!

Thumbs down Bad Swamp hole!

Well I finally stuck the 6x6 and stuck it good! .... Coming home from the cabin tonight and figured I would take the "old trail" out, bad mistake. There is a reason it is the "old trail". The old mud hole was froze over and the going was good till I got right in the middle and broke through 2" of ice. Bent the warn roller fairlead mount straight up, had to run the cable over the 6x6 and wench out backwards, riped 4 trees out trying to wench forward . Finally found out what was hanging me up, 2"x12" was getting wedged up under the frame, old lumber from previous stickings. Took about 1.5hrs to get it out, man that thing is HEAVY! Heres a few shot's.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Couple more....

Woke up to SNOW on sunday....

WINTERS ON IT'S WAY!

Nice job man!! Time to get some tires for that thing!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Hey Dog,

That's real AKmud! grin

kingfisherktn

Default Brag

Not to brag...but I have been through much that deep and even deeper (no problem) with my tracks...

But believe me when you do get it stuck...you get it REALLY stuck

:-)

Default Great pics

Any damage to atv body from pulling winch tension over the top?

My mind's eye sees a tight cable wrapped over the front grill, over the handle bars and down the seat / back rack to your tree.

(btw my mind's eye has severe macular degeneration )

Default Location

I was in the same situation with my six wheely, the only tree to winch to was behind me. It worked well to winch backwards so as to lift the front end up.Than I was able to put material under the front end and also helped to brake the suction. It is supriseing what you think of when your one on one with mother nature.
    Where abouts is this mud hole located?

Dang that was a "sticky" situation.

I really enjoyed the pictures of your misfortune. I don't mean that I'm glad it happened to you but most of us have done something similar a time or three and it is cool to see the pictures. I seldom use my winch but when I need it I am very happy to have it. Thanks for sharing.

Default I was well on my way...

to erasing the "summer stucks" out of my mind...
    And you had to start up with the "fall stucks" !
    Mike :-)
    Good pic tho!
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

I had to winch backwards one time but I ran the cable underneath the machine so it rubbed against my metal skidplates. Worked great.

I like to have front and rear winch mounts

Default Rear Winch

There is a Champion 2.5 winch with a rear base plate/for a 1/2" hitch, all kit included (wires, etc.) for $96.00 at Sam's club. I have heard from others that Champion Winches are not the best for everyday use, but are good back up winches. Plan to store mine away in a clean compartment on the atv and bust it out when needed.

I have tried running my front winch (3.0 Warn) to pull from the rear....I find it tears stuff up and instead of pulling staight back...it kind of pulls you back and down....which when you are in a deep hole can make things worse/getting hung up on unseen stuff. Having two winches..for those of us that like to get stuck in deep dark places...I think is the way to go.

I do believe I would of made it through if it wasn't for falling straight through 2" of ice in 2wd and then hanging up that 2x12 in between the A arm, that kinda put a fast stop to forward motion, lol. (see darwins theiry)

As far as the location goes, it's half way between my cabin and the parks hwy, a little farther north then the petersville road. ......

Damage report: just gave it a bath tonight and a look over, no damage other then a hole in the front cargo rack (winch cable was very tight), but it still seal's and the cargo box is going bye bye anyway. Building a custom front rack/bumper/winch mount. O' and I bent the roller fairlead up till the winch body stopped it.

I will be purchasing a RULE 3000LB winch for the front and the 2500lb WARN is going in the back, NOUGH SAID! Not going to mess around with this any more. CUSTOM/CUSTOM/CUSTOM! Yep, I allways buy to modify, other wise it's no FUN!

MUD, I told the wife about your suggestion on the new tires.....

WIFE; Whats wrong with the tires that are on it? They are brand new, right? .... No worries mud, new tread by next spring.

Headed back to the cabin friday night after work, I might be nice and take the tripod and diggy camera for a video of the nicer spots in the trail....

Default I know that swamp!

That sure looks familiar, even if it is far from my old ATVing grounds on the benchlands to the north and east of the head of Kachemak Bay. I think I experienced every **** boghole in that area until I just made my own new trails while homesteading there. So, did everything feel sore and achy the next day?

Quote Originally Posted by polaristracker View Post

I have tried running my front winch (3.0 Warn) to pull from the rear....I find it tears stuff up and instead of pulling staight back...it kind of pulls you back and down....which when you are in a deep hole can make things worse/getting hung up on unseen stuff. Having two winches..for those of us that like to get stuck in deep dark places...I think is the way to go.
    I have diamond plate STEEL skid plates, nothing got torn up when I winched backwards. If you have the machine in reverse and give it gas while running the winch it does not pull your rear wheels down.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    I do believe I would of made it through if it wasn't for falling straight through 2" of ice in 2wd and then hanging up that 2x12 in between the A arm, that kinda put a fast stop to forward motion, lol. (see darwins theiry)

As far as the location goes, it's half way between my cabin and the parks hwy, a little farther north then the petersville road. ......

Damage report: just gave it a bath tonight and a look over, no damage other then a hole in the front cargo rack (winch cable was very tight), but it still seal's and the cargo box is going bye bye anyway. Building a custom front rack/bumper/winch mount. O' and I bent the roller fairlead up till the winch body stopped it.

I will be purchasing a RULE 3000LB winch for the front and the 2500lb WARN is going in the back, NOUGH SAID! Not going to mess around with this any more. CUSTOM/CUSTOM/CUSTOM! Yep, I allways buy to modify, other wise it's no FUN!

MUD, I told the wife about your suggestion on the new tires.....

WIFE; Whats wrong with the tires that are on it? They are brand new, right? .... No worries mud, new tread by next spring.

Headed back to the cabin friday night after work, I might be nice and take the tripod and diggy camera for a video of the nicer spots in the trail....
    LMAO, that sounds exactly like my wife......I wonder about their logical thinking sometimes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    LMAO, that sounds exactly like my wife......I wonder about their logical thinking sometimes!!!
    YUP! They just don't understand. I've tried till I'm blue in the face and still get THE DEER IN THE HEADLIGHTS LOOK!