Thread: Winterizing Your Cat

Default Winterizing Your Cat

Hi - Have a 16' Aire Jag and need to know what's the best way to winterize the tubes? Bring into a warm environment? Deflate or keep the tubes inflated? Or just leave it outside and don't worry about it!?!?!?!?!? All answers will be appreciated.
    Thanks, CR.

I know it's not the best way to keep them, but I've been leaving my four Aire cat tubes deflated and in a pile outdoors for nearly 15 years without a problem. They sit in the Sun when not covered by snow too. Shame on me! Seems I have no respect for gear.

I believe the recommended method is to keep them semi-inflated in a non-freezing environment. Hanging from your garage rafters works for some.

Default Inflatable boat storage tips

I leave my cat tubes rolled up and stored outside for the winter. I have been told not to move them around when they're really cold, or they could crack. I suppose because plastic is a harder material than rubber, it would be more critical with PVC boats than with Hypalon. I store mine in fish totes; huge plastic boxes with lids. This way I'm sure not to mess with them. Also keeps the mice, rats and squirrels from boring holes in them (yes, this does happen).

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Smile Both

Last couple years I deflated completely and rolled them up on the shelf in the garage but this year they might remain semi inflated in the snow like they are now.

I have oversized bags for both my boats. Stored in a heated garage.

One additional step I take is to spray them down with 303 protectant before I put them in the bags, and I focus on getting the "folds" and crease's and exposed edges sprayed.. Not sure if that product is for hypalon as well as PVC, but there might be the equiv if not...

I store my inflatables indoors. Back in 82 or 3, I left my 81 zodiac in the shed one winter and it cost me a new keel tube. It may have survived if I had it inflated but I didn't. I think the cracks were all in the folds. Since then, it and my 18 ft Aire tubes stay in the heated garage. I wash them all with simple green, some comet and water and hang em up partially inflated. I did however build 10 ft walls on the garage which gives me room to hang stuff. I do not like storing things in Fairbanks winter temps. Very few things are rated for -40 or colder. I don't think America quite understands our world. Good thing too or they would all want to live here and then where would we be.

Default No Worries

Store them outside and your fine however ensure you for one make sure all moisture is gone gone gone and like Mike stated do not move after you stored them and by all means wait for the weather to be nice and above freezing for a while prior to playing with them.

Case in point my son bless him did me a favor last year and assisted with winter prep two sets of tubes only problem is he failed to wipe them down and then in the middle of winter decided he needed to move them ( I have no idea why) and yep I replaced the blatters this Spring. No fault of the product just good intentions gone bad. As he stated It Happens!!!!

Clean, Dry and rolled outsided tarp or boxed you will be fine.

:-)

Default Thanks.

Thanks to all for the responses. Although I was told that "tubes don't roll they fold, and it creases them"; it sounds like lack of movement, preferably heated storage and keeping the varmits away is the best way to store the tubes over the winter. CR.

Default Question for moose

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    ...my son bless him did me a favor last year and assisted with winter prep two sets of tubes only problem is he failed to wipe them down and then in the middle of winter decided he needed to move them ( I have no idea why) and yep I replaced the blatters this Spring....
    Moose,

Are you saying that the urethane bladders on your AIRE boats cracked because of the cold? I have never heard of that happening and would be very interested in hearing more about it. Or is it that ice inside the tubes cracked and lacerated the material when the tubes were moved?

It might be interesting to have just a urethane bladder outside all winter up in your neck of the woods; move it around when it gets down to -50 or so and let us know what happens? Care to experiment with one that's already damaged anyway? Or maybe Tracey can send you one...

The information would be valuable to a lot of folks.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default :-)

Moose,

Are you saying that the urethane bladders on your AIRE boats cracked because of the cold? I have never heard of that happening and would be very interested in hearing more about it. Or is it that ice inside the tubes cracked and lacerated the material when the tubes were moved?

No Sir Cracked because my "Helper" better hockey player than storage guy decided he did not need to ensure all the fluids were wiped out of the things and basically stored it in a some what frozen state "I new I shoud have followed up on the process with him". Then he decided to move them in the dead of winter aka "the toss method" and that the ice built up inside between the Tube and the Bladder lacerated the bladders :-( My fault for lack of training.

I have three Bladders that I have repaired that are holding just fine. I also have two new bladders which I could play with.

Post your testing wishes and we will (getter done) or PM there are many ways to make this happen. I will take pictures, dates, methods etc... when we agree on what you would like to see take place.

We can even test different types of products such as the Trib Tomcat, Trib Cat, AIRE Cat, and Traveler. Bladders and Tubes if you wish.

Moose-O