View Poll Results: When in public, how often do you carry a concealed handgun for personal defense?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always carry where it is legal to do so (100% of the time)

21 21.00%
  • I carry most of the time (more than 60% of the time)

24 24.00%
  • I carry sometimes (10-60% of the time)

23 23.00%
  • I rarely carry (less than 10% of the time)

19 19.00%
  • I never carry, but I'm OK with those who do

13 13.00%
  • I never carry and I don't think anyone else should either

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do you carry CCW?

Default How often do you carry CCW?

Just a poll of general interest. When you are in public, how often do you carry a concealed handgun for personal defense?

That's kinda my business and no one else's. Isn't that the point of "concealed?"

Thumbs up

It depends on what my activities for the day include. Sometimes it isn't practical to carry a handgun and on those days it is only as far as my truck away. I've even started carrying in church lately. Seems as though the bad guys target places where they think they will run into a bunch of "sheep" and won't have much resistance (like a church).

I'm a strong believer in "An armed society is a polite society" concept.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    That's kinda my business and no one else's. Isn't that the point of "concealed?"
    Yeah, but you could still take an anonymous poll. I find it interesting to note how many of us are utilizing our CCW rights. If this poll appeared at a university website, I think I know what the results would be. But, just how many of us in the shooting community are taking our personal safety seriously?

And from a practical matter, a key point of "concealed" is so that you're not the first one to get shot. There are many documented cases were citizens were wearing in the open and the bad guys just shot them first. If they don't know who is carrying, they don't have the luxury of knowing who they need to get the jump on when they attack.

Joat, you make a lot of good points.

I remember reading what a police chief back east had to say, about CCW. He would ask people that CCW, to not tell anyone that they did so. He felt this would leave doubt in the general criminal community, that maybe everybody was carrying CCW and the whole population would be safer.

I don't know what is true or not about any of this. My feeling about it is just the same as carrying a jack and spare tire in my car or truck.

Nothing takes there place when you need them, but, you are in a world of hurt when you need them and they ain't there!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Beeg truth, Big Al.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I'm with BrownBear.
    No one but my closest friends will ever know if I am carrying, & then only if I believe we may need to wirk as a team atsomething.
    I did take part in the poll.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Joat, for the record, when I carry, It is concealed most of the time unless I am in the field. However, I have a problem with your comment about the open carriage of arms. The key point to carrying "concealed" for me is tactical surprise, not because I think I am going to get shot first.

Can you name one such instance where an armed in the open, law-abiding citizen was shot by an armed criminal "first" just because he was armed? If that was the case, why aren't police officers gunned down randomly on a regular basis just "because" they are armed? I have not read of any such instances about carrying citizens.

I have open carried numerous times in multiple states (where legal) and have never had a problem of any kind. Neither has anyone else I know. There have been questions, etc. but nothing troublesome. If anything, they that carry open are the last to get shot, as criminals would generally rather go for the unarmed victims instead. Read the stats on jailed inmates and what type of victims they prefer. Open carry people are able to draw faster and have their weapon more readily accessable than if it is concealed. All I am saying is that there are advantages and disadvantages to both and it is a personal decision. Again, I prefer concealed for the unknown surprise factor, but I certainly support both. It's what the second amendment is all about.

There are large open carry followings in the lower 48 and Alaska and you can read about some of their experiences at.. http://opencarry.org/

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Yeah, but you could still take an anonymous poll. I find it interesting to note how many of us are utilizing our CCW rights. If this poll appeared at a university website, I think I know what the results would be. But, just how many of us in the shooting community are taking our personal safety seriously?

And from a practical matter, a key point of "concealed" is so that you're not the first one to get shot. There are many documented cases were citizens were wearing in the open and the bad guys just shot them first. If they don't know who is carrying, they don't have the luxury of knowing who they need to get the jump on when they attack.

I'll have to dig up some of the cases to get the details right. One that stuck in my mind was a farmer who was on his tractor in a field right next to his residence. A couple bad guys saw the openly worn gun on his hip as they drove by scouting for their next opportunity. With him distracted by his work, they simply shot him with a rifle rather than try their normal strong armed robbery MO, then they proceeded to do their armed robbery of his residence with the rest of his family being unarmed.

It is a fact that criminals will statistically avoid encounters with armed victims. But with a violent criminal who knows a person is armed where the criminal has not yet emerged from the shadows, so to speak, if that armed person is between what them and what they want, they have perfect opportunity to take that guy out as their first sign of evil intent. Even when worn openly, if a bad guy ambushes you, your chances of successfully drawing and winning the fight are poor (unless they choose to shoot gansta style ).

As for Police Officers, we lose hundreds of them to violent criminals who get the jump on them. There are countless cases of Police walking into ambushes in car stops, domestic violence encounters, etc. The bad guys know they are armed, so they often resort to shooting first and fast when the officer hasn't yet determined the bad guy's intent.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

JOAT:
    Thanks, I appreciate knowing that stuff.
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Question Open carry clarrification???

Not meaning to hijack anyone's thread; but I was just wondering if anyone could provide some clarification on the Open Carry laws??

From reading the statues, my understanding is that someone 18 or over is allowed to open carry???

Also wondering; is it considered concealed if your wearing a jacket?? From what I was reading it was confusing as to whether it would be legal or not.

Thanks again, and sorry if I'm gettin' too far off of topic.

Jon

In Alaska, one can open carry in any area where it is legal to carry concealed. There is no difference in the law as I read it, but I am not a lawyer. Also, my understanding is that anyone who wants to carry a handgun concealed or openly must be 21 years of age and 18 if they carry a rifle or shotgun without adult supervision. The general "rule" in determining concealed status is whether the firearm is beyond common observation. You must look at the statutes to get the exact terminology though. Again, it doesn't matter in Alaska whether it is concealed or open as long you are not in a prohibited area.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Not meaning to hijack anyone's thread; but I was just wondering if anyone could provide some clarification on the Open Carry laws??

From reading the statues, my understanding is that someone 18 or over is allowed to open carry???

Also wondering; is it considered concealed if your wearing a jacket?? From what I was reading it was confusing as to whether it would be legal or not.

Thanks again, and sorry if I'm gettin' too far off of topic.

Jon

Joat, I agree that many police officers are shot at, but that wasn't the intent in my post. Criminals that are trying to stay away from the police sometimes take out the officers that are chasing them or looking for them, we all know that. What I was saying was that I am not aware of any cases where officers were targeted specifically because of their open carry status, nor any cases of a citizen open carry status. I do agree that an ambush is something that is difficult to avoid and deter no matter what form of carrying you prefer. There is not much one can do about being sniped with a rifle at long-range. If someone is actually willing to do that, I am not sure it makes much difference to the criminal whether he was armed or not.

There are other factors that come into play in determining whether you become a victim in my opinion. I believe that situational awareness and making smart decisions to be more of a deterent than anything else. A firearm is just a piece of the overall pie for self-preservation. Carrying in any capacity is a good thing; not necessarily the form in which it is done. Again, advantages and disadvantages to both.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    I'll have to dig up some of the cases to get the details right. One that stuck in my mind was a farmer who was on his tractor in a field right next to his residence. A couple bad guys saw the openly worn gun on his hip as they drove by scouting for their next opportunity. With him distracted by his work, they simply shot him with a rifle rather than try their normal strong armed robbery MO, then they proceeded to do their armed robbery of his residence with the rest of his family being unarmed.

It is a fact that criminals will statistically avoid encounters with armed victims. But with a violent criminal who knows a person is armed where the criminal has not yet emerged from the shadows, so to speak, if that armed person is between what them and what they want, they have perfect opportunity to take that guy out as their first sign of evil intent. Even when worn openly, if a bad guy ambushes you, your chances of successfully drawing and winning the fight are poor (unless they choose to shoot gansta style ).

As for Police Officers, we lose hundreds of them to violent criminals who get the jump on them. There are countless cases of Police walking into ambushes in car stops, domestic violence encounters, etc. The bad guys know they are armed, so they often resort to shooting first and fast when the officer hasn't yet determined the bad guy's intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintlock View Post
    There are other factors that come into play in determining whether you become a victim in my opinion. I believe that situational awareness and making smart decisions to be more of a deterent than anything else. A firearm is just a piece of the overall pie for self-preservation. Carrying in any capacity is a good thing; not necessarily the form in which it is done. Again, advantages and disadvantages to both.
    I absolutely agree with your assessments. We have been debating "what ifs", and one can what if a defensive situation all day long without ever coming to a consensus. Even after the fact, the Monday morning quarterbacks can tear down a specific case and also never reach agreement on what they "should have done".

Everyday. Everywhere.
    Now what ?

Even with such a limited sampling of shooters, I find the results so far very interesting. Over two-thirds of us are taking advantage of our CCW rights to some degree. I actually expected it to be lower, so this is a pleasant surprise.

Default depends....

Those in my life that I care about, know that I have a CCW and that I am armed most if not all of the time I am with them, because I want them to feel safe when they are out with me. The rest of the public, and acquantances, will never know unless they ask or trouble comes.

I currently don't own a handgun, but will. Then I will CCW 100%
    Chris Willhoite

I'd like to carry, but since I'm going to UAF and I live in the dorms it isn't an option.

Default in class?

Tyler,

Can you carry in/on class/campus?? Is open carry allowed? I thought firarms were legal in dorms so long as they were cased/locked???

Thanks,

Jon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast