Thread: Salmon fishing June or August?

Default Salmon fishing June or August?

Our family will be going to Alaska (Glenallen/Anchorage/Kenai Pennisula/Hope) the summer of 2008. We are trying to figure out if the river salmon fishing (pinks are fine with us or other salmon species) will be running in mid-late June or early August? We were there end of July of 2006 and had a fabulous time fishing in Hope and wouldn't want to be disappointed with the timing of our trip this coming summer. Any help/guidance you can provide would be appreciated.

if you are looking for numbers you better hit it in august (for humps, dogs, and coho, maybe sockeye), if you wanna catch a king or two late june is about as good as it gets, plus there might be some sockeye around somewhere.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Timimg is everything, you can catch fish all summer long you just have to figure out witch ones you want to catch. I like sockeye, by far they are the best eating fish. You can get sockeye in June with the early run or late July and the beginning of August. Homer and the whole Cook inlet has great Halibut fishing all summer long.

Check out this site maybe it will help you.
    alaskafishingsuccess.com

The weather is nicest in June usually. Beyond that the previous posts nailed it.

I'd really like to suggest coming in late June. Halibut fishing from homer is just beginning to get at its "peak" and should provide for some excellent flatfishing. Another good thing about Homer in June, is fishing in the Spit Lagoon for Kings. I've gone in June and had some very good success in the Lagoon. The Kings are fresh, bright, and full of life.

Late June also marks a GREAT time to fishin in Glennallen for Sockeye. The Klutina River is full of the reds by late June. There are several charters on the Klutina River that can get you hooked up with Kings on the Klutina while you are fishing for reds.

Then there is the Kenai...which speaks for itself.

Hope this helps!!!

Thumbs up Southcentral Choices

As a lifer here who will be buried with fishing pole in hand, I always suggest the following:

Late June: The best for Kings and you have two good options for Reds: Klutina over by Glenallen and the infamous Russian/Kenai run on the Penninsula. The latter is more consistent usually, but the Klutina is much less combat fishing and if you hit it on a good day, it's as good as it gets. Kings will be everywhere. No Pinks or Silvers to speak of, at least in the rivers.

Late July/Early August: The Kings are winding down with the Kenai and Klutina being about it, and pretty much a guided fishing proposition. Reds are in the Kenai system and everywhere else. Humpies & Dogs are everwhere-catch all you want. Silvers are starting to show and if it happens to be an "early year" they can be had in good numbers by the end of July.

Bottom, line: For quantity and options, the latter is best. If Kings are a priority, pencil in June 15th thru Fourth of July. For what it's worth, this season was a bang up year for Kings and, personally speaking, as good as I've ever seen in 40 years.

Enjoy!