Thread: Chena kings

Default Chena kings

i was wondering if anyone had some advice for the upcoming king run in the chena or salcha. dont want to take any of your hot spots just want to catch a few fish.

thanks Sbeuck

Default No Secret Spots

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeuck
    i was wondering if anyone had some advice for the upcoming king run in the chena or salcha. dont want to take any of your hot spots just want to catch a few fish.

thanks Sbeuck

To Be honest most of the entire fishable drainage is good. The Chena for the most part is full of deep holes and tight bends. The river it-self is closed above the flood project so your limited from there to the mouth and it all holds fish. If your bank fishing start at the flood control project **** and walk down stream you will find what you seek when and if the water ever comes down.

Tight Lines.

ive heard to use yarn and corkies for kings. would that be a good thing to start with? never fished for salmon before. how big could i expect to catch, i would like to use my fly rod but it is just a 5 wt? thanks for the reply.

Default Skip the 5W Fly Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Sbeuck
    ive heard to use yarn and corkies for kings. would that be a good thing to start with? never fished for salmon before. how big could i expect to catch, i would like to use my fly rod but it is just a 5 wt? thanks for the reply.
    Dude if you would like to make int into a 8 piece fly rod fish with it. if you wish to land a 30 LBS King find something a tad bigger i.e. 8W - 11W on the Chena. The average flow is about 3 MPH so no big thing however the size of the fish will require heavy gear. Med ./ Heavy action rod with 20-30lBS min. Corkies double hook set up with Yarn does catch fish. If your chasing the with a fly rod, Flash Flies, Fat Freddies, Electric Articulating Leeches etc....

Average Chena fish ranger from 15 LBS to 30LBS some fish in the 40's.

Tight Lines.

Default how close

Does anyone know how much time we have before they are to the Chena?

thats what i thought about the fly rod. i saw in the game laws you can keep 1 over 20 and 10 under 20, so i thought there might be a lot of smaller ones.

Joe:
    There are a few fish in the river, according to the fish counts by ADF&G. River conditions are terrible, but getting better fast. This weekend should be pretty good. Thinking about fishing the dam area this weekend with the 8wt I built last spring.
    BTW, Upper river grayling should improve by Thur. or Fri. Flow is just over 1500cfs and falling.

Ben

Default a

I just looked and on NOAA at 40 mile CHSR it was 1700cfs and the clouds were thick last night to the north and west of town,but it shows it going down. Any time spent on the river is good in my book. Well the vacation starts on Sunday anyway, Kenai here I come.