Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prince William Sound Deer numbers

Default Prince William Sound Deer numbers

Ok, Now that I have been thoroughly schooled on the Bleak hunting possibilities of Kodiak this year. Does anyone have good info on PWS deer season and numbers? Also am looking for transportation to some drop off points in the area.
    Gunup1

season is from august 1 to dec. 31
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Contact Info

Dave Crowley (dave.crowley@alaska.gov or 424-3215) is the biologist with the info you want. How about giving us a synopsis about what he tells you? Good luck,

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Cazador View Post
    Dave Crowley (dave.crowley@alaska.gov or 424-3215) is the biologist with the info you want. How about giving us a synopsis about what he tells you? Good luck,

Rick
    Thanks for the info
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default PWS

Hey I don't know any numbers but if you need a hunting buddy or someone to spit a transportation cost I am your guy. Plus I do taxidermy. I am trying to find a way to get out to some of the islands in the PWS myself. Let me know.

Think about taking the ferry to cordova and fly to hinchinbrook,great deer hunting w/a bow but take a bear fence,you will need it if you want to get some meat home.The limit there is 5 deer and I just taked to my guy that fly by it almost everyday,He said he is seeing alot of deer from the air,sounds good again this year,Last year got 5deer a nice 3pt. and a huge forkie.Good luck.

Default I think I am gonna put my boat away

Dad went out hunting a week and half ago now for 6 with 3 guys total. Only 2 deer between 3 guys for that period. They hiked, beach hunted, and seen very little sign. Hit all the producers, Knight, Naked and Perry. They usually always come home with deer. So Hitchenbrook might be good but closer in I think got hammered with the cold and snow. I usually hunt with my boat through the end of Oct. Not this year. I think I will put her away this weekend unless the news changes. But seeing no deer, very little sign says not good.

Just got back from montague. Deer are way down there. Didnt hardly see any sign. Saw about 20. Thats counting ones through the spotting scope that were very far away.

I called crowley. He said he didnt have info for montague, but said hinchinbrook was hit hard.

Everything Ive read and heard sounds pretty bleak. better skip deer hunting for a year or 2.

Kodiak seems to be okay.

Default Deer #s

I've been hunting Hawkins and Hinchinbrook this season and saw a low of 3 deer one day and a high of 33 deer in one day. Right now, the deer are high and/or in the timber. Not much sign in the low meadows, but if you get into the timber, it looks like a cattle yard. Hunted last week with another guy and went in 2 miles and up to the top of a peak. Saw exactly one fawn on the way up in an area we had seen about 20 deer early in the season. (took one and missed one that trip) When we broke out of the trees on top, we began seeing deer immediately. Saw 12 in about 1/2 hour up there, but we were looking for a big one and didn't shoot any. Meanwhile another buddy who was with us, got up to about the 800 ft. level and was hunting the timber edges and jumped a real nice 3 pt. but didn't get a shot off.

Quote Originally Posted by gunup1 View Post
    Ok, Now that I have been thoroughly schooled on the Bleak hunting possibilities of Kodiak this year. Does anyone have good info on PWS deer season and numbers? Also am looking for transportation to some drop off points in the area.
    Gunup,

Not all Kodiak is bleak this year. The die offs only affected the northend of the island. I've talked to guys who've hunted the southend and around Old Harbor. They said the herds seem to be as strong as prior years. You had asked about the roadsystem and it was affected adversly. That said, some valleys weren't affected as badly as others. What it basically means is more locals are targeting the areas on the roadsystem that still have fair herds. I just didn't want you to expect the same hunt you would have had the past couple years.
    If your open to flying to Montague or Hitchenbrook then you should be open to flying to the southend/middle of kodiak, which from what I've heard are still doing well. Good luck.

TB

Default Thanks

appreciate the kodiak news. It seems that better planning is in order on my part to make it down there before most areas shut down for the year. Attempting to throw together a hunt on short notice is not adviseable unless you enjoy disappointment. Next year will be a different. Thanks to all who provided me with information when requested. To those who gave advice and then followed through with unwanted comments as to my apparent lack of information sharing: "may your bow break and primers fail to fire at the moment of truth". I find this forum to be an excellent means of chatting with other hunters and to share information. I appreciate the fact that most if not all who participate in these forums are level headed and helpful. When I get some numbers on the deer, I'll be sure to pass them on to those who will be going out in the field. Best of luck!
    Gunup1

Default PWS deer

Twodux, I sent you a PM.

Default Wish me luck!!!

I'll be heading out via boat to Montague Isl. Nov. 14-18th. I have Port Chalmers cabin reserved and will be cruising the shores as well as hiking in above timber, if the snow hasnt driven them down yet.

I'll be sure to give ya folks an update.

Does anyone know if the bears will still be out then, I may pick up a permit just in case.

AH

I know of two separate parties who both bumped into brownies on Montague during the Thanksgiving holidays, but of course the numbers (and odds) go way down as November progresses.

Default Pws deer

I went the week of October 8, spent 4 overnights in four different bays on both Knight and Montegue. Three hunters glassing everthing and walking, saw zero deer. There was some sign, at the low and mid points on the mountains. We did not climb to the top. We saw 2 black and one brown beer, all were on the beach looking for food. That was a first for me, I have hunted there 10 different years over the last 25, it was the first time I could at least see deer up high.

Default PWS Trip Cancelled

Thought I'd share....Cancelled due to weather, also heard there was a storm brewing and gonna be hitting that area this week.

I was bummed. Sounds like the deer are there, but not in any great numbers.

AH

Default Montague??

Thinking of flying out to Montague in a couple weeks. Has anyone have any recent info about the deer?

Where are you headed? Who are you flying with?

I know three guys that hunted Patton Bay/Beach River Chugach land in late october that only saw three deer in a week. I have another friend that is in the same spot and it currently weathered in. I will see how he did when he gets back. When I hunted there last November I saw at least 30 deer in a week.

Right now I think it is just me and my bro planning on flying a 206 and landing on the beaches at low tide for a long weekend. Im not quite sure exactly where on montague to go for the best deer numbers.

Default Trip Cancelled

While is was subzero temperature, my buddy and I had a great Thanksgiving weekend deer hunt last year in PWS.

Yesterday the forecast looked reasonable for today and tomorrow to make the weekend hunt, and I was excited about the temp being around 40 degs warmer then last year.

By this morning, the forecast had changed from 2 ft seas to 10ft subsiding to 6ft. Passage canal looked pretty smooth so my brother and I headed out to see if conditions had improved over the forecast. They had not. At Decsion point at about 9:30am the seas were around 5-6ft, white caps, and looking worse further out. After going a couple of miles in that and it progressively worsening, I decided I would rather have my boat then a deer so we came back.

I saw 2 other similiar size boats (22ft Aluminum) continue out. Good luck to them.

hopefully we get a couple of good days in the next week, but seems the weather just doesn't want to cooperate this year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast