Thread: Interarms whitworth

Question Interarms whitworth

A friend at work has an Interarms whitworth for sale....375 H&H. What can anyone tell me about this rifle brand, import history, quality, anything would help. Seemed like a well made rifle.

They are good guns, IMO. I own 3. Most were made and put together in Yugoslavia, but some were put together in Manchester England. I'm sure some one will supply better info on this. I believe that the Witworths have adjustable triggers. For a while they were very reasonable, pricewise.

Basically they are a commercial Mauser action. Good and strong. Some of the 375s and 458s had some stock cracking problems years ago. If it is still good now, it is not a problem.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I don't know what kind of money your friend is asking for this rifle, nor the condition. What I can tell you is this, most people can not afford to buy a modern made rifle of it's equal. You have to go north of two grand to come close to these rifles that cost under 400.00 bucks in the 70's.

They are true sleepers, if you turn it down, PLEASE PM me. I would like to have a chance at it.

They did have stock cracking problems with the English version, I know as I bought one brand new in 1976. It had more to do with the wood selection than anything else. The fact that they were shipped from overseas and the wood had moisture issues, did not help.

I am guessing that the english made versions have it indicated on the reciever....I think this one had Mansfield England on it. Any other ways to tell?

If anyone has a gun blue book....what does a 95% or so go for?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    You have to go north of two grand to come close to these rifles that cost under 400.00 bucks in the 70's.

If you haunt and hunt the pawn shops you can find Interarms in the $300-$350 range. Of course these won't be BIG BORES, but with a little gunsmithing they can be. If you can, make sure it has the adjustable trigger. I don't know who made the triggers, but they're the equal of any aftermarket trigger I've tried.

The Witworth express had the three leaf sights one standing and two folding. They were all made in the same place. The down side for me is the safety and that means it has to have a bolt shroud change also. I do not care for side safeties. I much prefer a safety that locks the fireing pin, that alows for firing pin removable from the bolt body. That means a conversion. All of my Mausers have this feature at no small cost I might add.

Why, this is the safest way to funtion test your handloads through the action, with out danger.

I found three on this web site. http://www.gunsamerica.com/976964003...th_Express.htm

If I knew who you neighbor was,,, you would have already been too late....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Interarms Whitworth 375

for those interested, Gunrunners on NorthLights currently have one listed at 499.00

I have been shooting a 350 Griffin & Howe this year that is a custom made on a Whitworth Action. It shoots pretty sweet and I took my goat this year at 303 yards with it.

Default I've had...

I've built rifles out of two of the .375 H&H Whitworth barreled actions, when they were available prior to the hostilities in-country over there made them inaccessible here. I like 'em! They, and the Mark X's in other calibers, and even still the Charles Daly's that I've got (which all came out of the same place) shoot REALLY well, though the actions are rough as cobs in operations till they're broken in.
    If there's anything I don't like about 'em, it's the finish...their polisher needed to be retrained, I don't think I've seen a straight line or sharp corner on one, ever, and the finish is much too bright. Gentle bead blast, or trip through the 'pickling' cycle before bluing makes a much nicer, and useable finish for these things.
    I see the Mark X's all over the price spectrum down here. The last .375 Whitworth I saw, however, was in Anchorage in Sep 03, and it was in a pawn shop with $450 or so asking on it. I imagine these days that you could probably see them in good shape or better for double that....

I have a Whitworth .375 HH Ser No B272XXXX. I know nothing about it other than what I found out by taking it apart. It does not have the three leaf rear sight, or the barrel band sling swivel mount. I am guessing the muzzle break is an aftermarket modification. It also has a metal block attached to the underside of the barrel, just forward of the receiver, and the barrel was actually ground down flat to accomadate a flat spot to mount it on. The stock has been bedded to accept this metal block. It is actually form fitted to it when the action is place in the stock. The receiver says Manchester England, Interarms, and an Icon that looks to me to be a "C" and a "Z" in a circle. I have been told by CZ self proclaimed experts that this Whitworth has no relationship to the manufacturer CZ.

I have heard horror stories about rifles with similar blocks mounted to the barrel. I do not know if this thing is even safe to shoot. A well known gunsmith told me that it is absolutely safe to shoot but, he had never even seen it. He said the mod was to help absorb recoil and the metal removed from the barrel was no big deal. I still wish I could find just one person that is willing to get me smart about these Whitworths.

Is there anyone out there that still remembers much about these Whitworths in 375 HH? Mine is similar to all the ones I read about in here but, it has some big differences.

Your rifle was indeed build by CZ,great guns.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Frank De Haas Book bolt action rifles has a good article on these rifles/actions. Herters used to sell them in the 60's the J9, as did Interarms, Charles Daly, Remington (798), EAA and now Century Arms catlogues them.

DeHaas review indicated he did not like polishing/finish standards.
    Mr. Dehaas also had a problem with lengthening the standard length mausers to use the 375/300 HH length cartirdges,
    Removing metal behind the lower locking lug bothered him a bit.

These commercial action have been around for close to 50 years now, while others like FN and Santa Barbara made Mauser actions are not made anymore. Croatia, Slovevenia, later Yugoslovia of course started with 98's in the 30's.

I believe Interams were assembled in Englad, as we could not trade witht commies in old Yougoslavia.
    The Whitworths were an updaged to the Mark X series. The MArk X had very blond Sile made stocks with about an inch of synthetic finish, the whitworths looked much nicer.

I have seen quite few with cracked stocks in of both models in 375. Make sure the little metal tube is in the stock on the rear guard screw, and the screws are tight.

Nice gun. Buy it!

Thanks!

Mine does not have the extra block you describe.

Mine sits in a bedded bell and Carlson stock. The trigger needs adjusting when I bought it. I have clover leafed federal factory TSX loads at 100 yards. Never have measured that target but I will, I kept it!

My best hand load so far is the 250 grain TTSX at around .75 MOA if I recall correct.

It's definitely heavier than others but it tames the recoil nicely. It's not the smoothest action but I still love the gun. I would buy another one if I found a good enough deal just to have a spare!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In addition to finding out more about the secondary recoil block, I am curious to know if there is any way to accurately date the action by serial number?
    I have a Whitworth .375 HH Ser No B272XXXX. I know nothing about it other than what I found out by taking it apart. It does not have the three leaf rear sight, or the barrel band sling swivel mount. I am guessing the muzzle break is an aftermarket modification. It also has a metal block attached to the underside of the barrel, just forward of the receiver, and the barrel was actually ground down flat to accomadate a flat spot to mount it on. The stock has been bedded to accept this metal block. It is actually form fitted to it when the action is place in the stock. The receiver says Manchester England, Interarms, and an Icon that looks to me to be a "C" and a "Z" in a circle. I have been told by CZ self proclaimed experts that this Whitworth has no relationship to the manufacturer CZ.

I have heard horror stories about rifles with similar blocks mounted to the barrel. I do not know if this thing is even safe to shoot. A well known gunsmith told me that it is absolutely safe to shoot but, he had never even seen it. He said the mod was to help absorb recoil and the metal removed from the barrel was no big deal. I still wish I could find just one person that is willing to get me smart about these Whitworths.

Forgot to mention, I paid $450 for mine and would gladly again, it is not the express. I also saw one in a pawn shop in Soldotna a couple years back exactly like mine for exactly the same price. I think I'd pay about $600 for one in 95% condition.

Quote Originally Posted by allen-ak View Post
    Frank De Haas Book bolt action rifles has a good article on these rifles/actions. Herters used to sell them in the 60's the J9, as did Interarms, Charles Daly, Remington (798), EAA and now Century Arms catlogues them.

DeHaas review indicated he did not like polishing/finish standards.
    Mr. Dehaas also had a problem with lengthening the standard length mausers to use the 375/300 HH length cartirdges,
    Removing metal behind the lower locking lug bothered him a bit.

These commercial action have been around for close to 50 years now, while others like FN and Santa Barbara made Mauser actions are not made anymore. Croatia, Slovevenia, later Yugoslovia of course started with 98's in the 30's.

I believe Interams were assembled in Englad, as we could not trade witht commies in old Yougoslavia.
    The Whitworths were an updaged to the Mark X series. The MArk X had very blond Sile made stocks with about an inch of synthetic finish, the whitworths looked much nicer.

I have seen quite few with cracked stocks in of both models in 375. Make sure the little metal tube is in the stock on the rear guard screw, and the screws are tight.

Nice gun. Buy it!

Thanks!

They were/are made by Zastava in Serbia and Montenegro and imported by various importers over the years. Both K-VAR and Century imports them now. I have two left-hand Chuck Daly marked actions that are going to become useable rifles one of these days when I stop letting the purchase of other stuff interfere.

http://www.zastava-arms.rs/en/civili...e-m70-standard

I also got in on the tail-end of a K-VAR left-hand group buy last year and ended up with a left-hand M-70 Mauser in .25-06 and a LH Mini-Mauser in .223.

I just got the .25-05 up and running recently and put it on paper. The following photo is the target I used to zero it. It shoots lights out. The highlighted group is three shots @ 100yrds with 100 gr over-priced, off-the-shelf Remington junk I picked up at one of the stores out here. The holes with the ink "whiskers" are where I walked the scope in one shot at a time, and the circled 3-shot horizontal group are 120 grain Remington junk.

It obviously likes the 100 grain bullets and my original plan was to try and hopefully stick with 90-100 grain bullets for my working loads. I got bored pretty quickly with slinging rounds into the 200 & 300 yrd gongs without trying. And that was with a long trigger creep

I can't imagine being able to cook up a handload that'll out do that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Now what ?

My father recently gave me his interarms mark x whitworth express rifle as a birthday gift. It has the leaf sights and says Alexandria virginia and Manchester England. Serial number B101XXX. It is in immaculate condition. He bought it in Fairbanks For $150 in the early 60s after being deployed there in the USAF.

Release Lake Trout