Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nelchina Tier II Closes

Unhappy Nelchina Tier II Closes

The Glennallen Fish and Game Office issued a emergency order today stating that the Nelchina Tier II cariblu hunt will NOT re-open for the second season. For more information call the Glennallen F&G at 822-3461

Big bummer. My mother and father both were waiting for the late season.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Really????

Why can't I find it on their WebSite??

I'm not surprised, but I'd like verification, to be sure. Where from, you git theese news?

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Nelchina TC566

267-2304 Caribou Hotline

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Mark

Ouch. I had already made some lodging reservations, too.

And yet the Federal Sub Hunt goes on. Another classic example of the Feds trumping the State of Alaska. Sad deal. Perhaps it is time for KTUU(Channel 2) News team and ADN to go North and film the Federal Subsitence Hunt. It is a sham. Dozens of permit holders cruising up and down the Richardson Hwy competing for the few places to pull off the road, where the Caribou cross on their way Eastward. For the most part, this location is between Hogans Hill and Paxon. There are always numerous incidents of these shooters, shooting from and across the highway. Gut piles left in the ditches. This is not Hunting, it is Carnage, Plain and Simple. It is disgusting and it is condoned by the Federal Managers and not challenged in any way by our State Managers. But I doubt the News teams will want to tell the world what the Federal Subsistence Hunt really looks like or what it is.

AKRES: That sounds like it would make a great letter to the editor, or at least an email to John Tracy.

Tim

Here we go.....

this is gonna get ugly

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    And yet the Federal Sub Hunt goes on.......
    Yup. But we know that. The Feds don't manage by species density. They manage by subsistence beneficiary demand.

....State game managers had set a harvest quota of 1,000 bulls and 500 cows prior to the fall season, and the current reported harvest for state and federal hunters is 690 bulls and 260 cows. But additional harvest during the federal subsistence winter hunt and animals not yet reported that were taken in the Tier II hunt are expected to raise the total harvest to the quota, Tobey said.

“Federal subsistence hunters the last two years have taken around 600 caribou (during the winter hunt), and you have to assume they’re going to have a similar harvest,” he said....
    3,000 permits issued, just under the management goal taken, and the real managers have taken the harvest of "the other guys" into account.

I'll trust the state biologist's projections.

The "other" program isn't his fault, and he can't do anything about it except insure it doesn't crash the herd.

Default Carnage

Akres, your description of the caribou permit holders hunting inbetween Hogans hills and Paxson, the carnage and other disgusting stuff reminds me of some years back. About a mile south of Cantwell this very same thing went on for a couple of years until our local AC got a 1/2 mile hunting restriction on this stretch of highway, some "hunters" were shooting toward houses less than 1/2 mile away and leaving gut piles on the shoulder of the Parks hwy. The only difference was these "hunters" had state permits. I guess it doesn't matter what type of permit some "hunters" hold.

It is a sham. Dozens of permit holders cruising up and down the Richardson Hwy competing for the few places to pull off the road, where the Caribou cross on their way Eastward.
    Hahahahahaha!! You just described the Tier II hunt! There are far more Tier II road hunters than federal road hunters out there.

I agree with Mark. Ouch! A lot of folks wait for winter to hunt Tier II caribou. This sucks and I don't even hold a permit.

And yet the Federal Sub Hunt goes on. Another classic example of the Feds trumping the State of Alaska. Sad deal. Perhaps it is time for KTUU(Channel 2) News team and ADN to go North and film the Federal Subsitence Hunt. It is a sham. Dozens of permit holders cruising up and down the Richardson Hwy competing for the few places to pull off the road, where the Caribou cross on their way Eastward. For the most part, this location is between Hogans Hill and Paxon. There are always numerous incidents of these shooters, shooting from and across the highway. Gut piles left in the ditches. This is not Hunting, it is Carnage, Plain and Simple. It is disgusting and it is condoned by the Federal Managers and not challenged in any way by our State Managers. But I doubt the News teams will want to tell the world what the Federal Subsistence Hunt really looks like or what it is.
    Allowing those whos families have hunted the area for a thousand years to continue to hunt is not a sham... Its a law.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default wow

Thousand year old people hunting caribou

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Allowing those whos families have hunted the area for a thousand years to continue to hunt is not a sham... Its a law.
    AKPM, you're right in saying that it is the current law. Regardless of how you feel about the legitimacy of such a hunt, however, you have to agree that dual management is not good for the herd.

By they way, many of those who participate in the federal hunt are not Alaska Native, thus they are not people "whose families have hunted the area for a thousand years." That's a pretty big overgeneralization there.

The corrupt Feds shouldn't even be allowed to comment on game management, let alone control their own seasons.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Oh Well,

Thanks for the verification.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default People not from the area.

A biologist once told me of a guy that hunts it that lives in Barrow. He flys down evey year and proxie hunts for five other people as well.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I thought you could only be a proxy for one at a time? At least that was my understanding being a proxy for a friend who was disabled.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast