Thread: Honda engine work

Default Honda engine work

I am looking for a place to take my 97 450 for some engine work. I drowned it in the river. changed oil several times. let it run... didn't get any milky oil... decided to ride and started to hear noise so I shut it down. Towed it home and changed oil again and left it. IT will fire when giving it gas but doesn't want to run. Want to punt and let someone fix it. Been a good rig. Can't afford another one right now. Thanks for your help.

I like Alaska Drag Bike (ADB) here in Anchorage.
    Ken

Did you try adding some "heet" to the gas to remove the water?
    Water in the fuel will make it run rough and cause it to "buck" around.
    Try the Heet first for a possible cheap fix.
    Tennessee

Default A good choice

I have taken my toys to Snowtrax in Wasilla/Houston. They have done fine work at getting things back together. there is also a guy out in Big Lake who worked on my sled and didn't kill my checkbook. I think it is called A-1 repair or something like that. He is located just before the Y on the right hand side.
    Gunup1

Quote Originally Posted by denalidude View Post
    I am looking for a place to take my 97 450 for some engine work. I drowned it in the river. changed oil several times. let it run... didn't get any milky oil... decided to ride and started to hear noise so I shut it down. Towed it home and changed oil again and left it. IT will fire when giving it gas but doesn't want to run. Want to punt and let someone fix it. Been a good rig. Can't afford another one right now. Thanks for your help.
    I wouldn't punt. Why give someone hundreds of dollars to do what you can do in your spare time. Besides, no mechanics except Harley mechs treat someone ELSES machine with love
    It won't be too hard, you only drowned it and if you didn't end up with water in the oil than it's something minor.
    First off did you stand the machine up on it's rear wheels and let the water drain from the muffler?
    Secondly did you pull the spark plug and use the pull starter to eject the water off the cylinder head.
    Make sure there is no water left in either of these.
    Check the airfilter and make sure it's dry and no water is in the airbox.
    OK, now your problem is in the carb, you'll have to tear it apart and clean it with carb cleaner and compressed air. Your machine is 10 years old. Time to take the gas tank completly off and clean the inside, screens, filters etc. Forget heet, you won't believe what kinda gunk and water you'll find in a 10 year old atv gastank.
    Also check the fluids in your differentials and make sure no water entered.
    Like I said if no water entered your engine oil then your problem is minor and most likely located in the carb. Time to get to know your machine
    Check back if you need help or go to Highlifter.com and the Honda forum for expert help from Honda owners.

Drain carb, There is a thumb screw or bolt at bottom of carb. Drain water out and it should start. also fill crankcase with diesel and drain.It will take all water out in one shot. good luck.

Default i here ya

i just rebuilt a 450 at work that got dunked. after 4 oil changes i got the water all out. 2 trips out with it and the top end started clicking, and wouldn't run at a idle. found out that when they ran it, after they drained the carb they didn't think about the oil in the crankcase. i just put in new engine bearings on the crank, new piston, and the clicking was comming from the wiped out camshaft.

Quote Originally Posted by yetnaman37 View Post
    i just rebuilt a 450 at work that got dunked. after 4 oil changes i got the water all out. 2 trips out with it and the top end started clicking, and wouldn't run at a idle. found out that when they ran it, after they drained the carb they didn't think about the oil in the crankcase. i just put in new engine bearings on the crank, new piston, and the clicking was comming from the wiped out camshaft.
    A lot of people don't realize you cannot START a engine with water in the oil. NOT AT ALL, NOT EVEN FOR A MINUTE. You must get ALL the water out with multiple oil and filter changes, diesel works great too. I saved a bunch of peoples engines this summer at JC by stopping them from starting their engines that had water in the oil. Here is the correct procedure to follow when you drown your atv:
    (1) Get the rig on land and stand it up on it's rear wheels to drain the water from the muffler and off the cylinder head.
    (2) Remove the airbox lid, drain the airbox and dry out the airfilter.
    (3) Remove the sparkplug and use the pull starter (or electric starter) to blow out all the water sitting on the cylinder head.
    (4) Open the carb drain screw and let it drain until only gas is draining.
    (5) check the oil before you start these procedures and a couple more times while doing them and after you are done. check often.
    Tow your rig home if you see any water in the oil and do a thorough job of getting the water out.
    Check the differentials to see if water has got in them also.

It is important that you have followed all the procedures. I had a friend that sunk his wheeler and didn't tip it up or take out the spark plug out and turn it over. The only thing he did was tow it back. And worst of all he didn't know how to work on his wheeler so he waited a couple weeks till I could come over and look at it. There was still water in his pipe, and i took the head off and the whole cylinder was rusted and the piston was shot. We did get the thing running again pretty quick with some polishing help from ADB for cheap and a piston and rings. He definetly learned what to do the next time he might sink it.

Default Won't run above idle - STOP

your engine and check the oil (again!).
    I've seen machines that the first oil check looked OK but then when started won't go above idle - ain't the carb, its your oil turning into a chocolate milkshake!
    Get out the towstrap!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

I've seen machines that the first oil check looked OK but then when started won't go above idle
    Good point Mike, I've seen this happen as well. Also if you have water in your oil don't forget to change the oil filter. You can cross reference the part numbers and actually buy oil filters much cheaper at the auto parts store.