Thread: What to hunt in Ketchikan

Default What to hunt in Ketchikan

I'm heading to Ketchikan to visit some friends for Thanksgiving. Anyone have any advice as to what hunting opportunities might be available then? Mostly interested in deer hunting, will black bears still be active? Any good waterfowling around ? Thanks for any input. KK

Default Kid,

Deer hunting will definetly be slowing down, but have shot them into mid December. The same goes for the availability for bear. They're there, but will be getting scarce. I don't duck hunt so can't give you much info.

Sorry if I haven't helped much.

kingfisherktn

Default Thanksgiving hunting

Kingfish is right .... there are a few Black Bear out roaming around still but very few. Most are fast asleep.

But I do like the Thanksgiving deer hunt. I have taken some real nice bucks at that time. Some are still responding to the call. If there is fresh snow tracking is very productive.

Duck hunting is hot.

But Ketchikan doesn't have much road system so a skiff (or boat of any kind) is important. Or a trip on the ferry to Prince of Wales Island where you can drive to very good Thanksgiving hunting.

Muskeg,
    Thanks for the info, I have a few more questions. Do most guys use some sort of deer call or just use your mouth? I've never hunted Blacktails so any tips greatly appreciated. What type of duck hunting is available Sea ducks/ puddle? And how accessable is the duck hunting? My buddy has a 18' lund/40 prop would that get us where we want to go? Thanks again. KK

Man you should be able to get into plenty of sea ducks and possibly some puddlers especially with a boat, try bays with mussel beds and fresh water imputs. Have scoter decoys and you should be able to do real well.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.