Thread: ok, do i use water or not when waxing? I'm hearing water is not good...

Default ok, do i use water or not when waxing? I'm hearing water is not good...

ok, i have 20lbs of wax and i can wax without water if need be....so, don't be afraid to say, "spend the money" ...i got it if it is the right way to do it...

but, i had intended to wax my traps with wax only...then i read alot of stuff saying boil the dye, put the wax in with it, etc..sounded great..

now i am reading the kids trapper page, and it is good!...that the water causes problems with the wax sticking and it is recommended that you nto do the wax/water thing...just pure wax...

convince me otherwise!

if i'm gonna do just the wax, i was thinking of putting the traps in teh stove to heat them up and then just do it on my electric stove...surely i can do it safely without fire!...or is it not hot enough?....

thanks,
    scotty
    Scotty in the AK bush

Default water and wax

DO NOT USE WATER. Use all wax. Dip the trap and watch it. When all the "whiteness" melts away, it means that it is at the same temp as the wax and it is time to pull the trap out.

Default Wax

I agree with fishermann222.
    Just wax and keep someting to cover the contaner to smother any flame that may start.

Default trap wax

I have done it both ways and found there not to be much differance either way, I have not run int any problems putting wax in the water with the dye... just pull them up through the wax slowly. It is a little faster this way and you don`t have to have another container to heat your wax in, on the other side when you do the wax by itself you can always keep the wax clean and just add more the next time.

Default wax too thick?

wouldn't applying the wax that way make it too thick, and chip off too easily?

Default trap wax

I have not had any problems with the wax being thick

Default either way

I have done it both way, i think i have settled on using the wax with the water, i have had no problems with this method and it saves having to boild and then wax your traps.,

Default wax with water

I use one tub / drum with water to clean the old stuff and any contaminants off then put them in the dye with wax on top pull them out. Works fine for me.

Default a few things to read

Default fishermann222 thanks for the links

thanks for the links. Someone showed me the water and wax way when I was 13 or so and I have continued doing it that way the past 20 years. I might just redo mine and see how it works. I have seen some that people do in only wax and that is why I never switched. They looked exactly like example #2 and I watched him scrape and clean over and over just to get them set. Thanks for the post and I really am going to try this. Like I said the others I personally saw just looked so caked on and thick that I thought there was no way I'd ever do it that way.