Thread: what type of open sights is everyone using?

Default what type of open sights is everyone using?

I've been hunting with a .50 cal Hawken flintlock for about eight years now. I love the gun and shoot it quite a bit just for fun and target practice. What I do not like about it is the set of factory sights it came with from the factory. They are the standard "shallow V" sight in the rear with a front round post. I filed the front post down to make it more narrow. It would completely cover a paper plate at 75 yards. I also changed my aim from using the front post to completely cover the center dot to using the front post to cover the bottom half of the center dot. Filing and changing my aim point helped quite a bit. Perhaps it's just my eyes, but beyond 50 yards it's hard for me to focus with these sights. I've been considering a peep sight in the rear. What is everyone else using? Since it won't be till 2008 before I can hunt with this gun again, I figured now would be a good time to try different sights and find something I like. I'm not really interested in putting fiber optic sights on my gun. And I like the "clean" ethetic look of my flintlock with somewhat simple sights, so I'm a bit concerned how well a peep sight would look on the gun. I know, that might sound picky, but I do plan on hanging the gun over the fireplace mantle someday and want it to look purdy

Thanks for the advice,

On the one I just built I used this front sight and this rear sight. The front sight had to be filed to shape, but that allowed me to sight in the gun for my load. I also widened the notch in the rear sight slightly using a needle file.

For me sight picture is pretty critical. I set mine so that the front sight has to be level with the top of the rear while there's a little gap on either side of the front when you are looking through the rear. With it like that, I have the shots landing 2" above the top of the front sight at 50 yards, which puts my shots just about dead on at 75 yards.

The advantage of this sight-in for me is that I don't cover the bullet's point of impact with the sight. I basically put the top edge of the front sight where I want to hit and pull the trigger.

It's worth moving on to my other guns for a moment, the ones with brass bead front sights. I've found with those that it's pretty futile to try to cover the target with the front bead. It simply hides too much target, no matter how small a bead I use. Now I use the top edge of the bead as my aiming point, just like I use the top of a blade. It sure makes things a bunch easier, especially when you move to small targets or long range shots.

BTW- Cruise around that site I linked you to for sights. They will boggle you with all the options, but you can sure mix and match to suit your own tastes.