Thread: Exchangable Barrel Gun for youth

Default Exchangable Barrel Gun for youth

I was very impressed with a friend's gun that has removable barrels, 243 and 308. This lets his 12 year old practice with the 243 (most of the time) then allowed her to harvest a Caribou with the 308 this past September. Does anyone have a recomendation of where to get a similar rifle in Anchorage. I stopped at Sportsman's the other week but they did not have what I was looking for. Both barrels my friend had were single shot break open models, maybe Thompson's which a very economical I think. Perhaps I could get a blackpowder model too for another option for me or my son.

Appreciate any recomendations.

Thanks

All Savage Firearms can interchange the barrels. Some cartridges you have to change the bolt head too but if you go with a .473 bolt head you only need to change barrels on most popular non-magnum cartridges ie...243Win, 270Win, 308, 30-06 and so on... sounds like something that you are looking for. You would need to buy a headspace gauge, barrel nut wrench, and a barrel or action vise. I got all the tools and it really doesn't take very long to remove and install barrels. Many barrel companies make drop in barrels that dont need any gunsmithing.

If it was a single shot break open,then it was more then likely a Thompson Center Encore. They have barrels in numerous calibers except for WSM's & RUM's. Very good gun and would be perfect for what you are looking for. There are a couple other change barrel rifles,but the Encore is by far the most popular and has the most aftermarket products. Both Sportsman's Warehouse and Boondocks in Eagle River can get you one.Good luck.

Tim
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

This months Field & Stream features the Rossi Trifecta with interchangeable .22, .243, and 20 gauge barrels. Dunno where to get one in Alaska but I found it an interesting gun for $319. I thought it would be a neat little gun to have stowed away on a boat with a box of each type of ammunition as a survival item.

Thanks a quick swap is what I'm interested in and I believe the Thompsons is the one, I will check it out soon.

Do you handload? The reason I ask is that the .308 can be downloaded to very mild levels and still provide very good accuracy.

While the multibarrel concept is always appealing, I've found the overall cost to be above what a quality dedicated gun is, and the overall quality to be so/so.