Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which lakes for Pike?

Default Which lakes for Pike?

I saw where they are catching some pretty big pike by the Bentalit Lodge in the winter. Are there some reliable lakes across the Cook Inlet for pike that are accessible by snowmachine? I'm looking for places to fish for the weekend, staying over on Friday or Saturday and returning on Sunday. So, being right next to the highway is not a priority. Thanks in advance for the info on trails/lakes...

IceKing02

Red Shirt lake is one you can hit. It's by near Nancy lake.. I think it's about 3 miles back from where you would park.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Trapper, Sucker, Alexander, Donkey Creek, Flathorn and Redshirt Lakes all come to mind.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default What kind of bait/lure?

I've heard that these pike will eat just about anything, even other pike! Even so, what do you start with, prior to the time that they start eating other pike? I'll bet that I trap a couple of voles/mice once the weather gets a little colder, I always do. Would these be good for getting some of those big ol' monsters? Or, do you just jig shrimp or something?

Thanks again.

IceKing02

I'm used to catching them through the ice in Wisconsin and we used suckerminnows under a tip up. Since livebait is illegal in AK just about any deadbait would work just as well.

I would fish with my uncle and with the limit of 3 lines a piece we would spread out 5 tip ups allowing us to take turns jigging. For jigging we would use a bucktail jig with a minnow on it but pike will eat anything so you could probably freeze a turd and put it on a hook to catch one.

trolling herring works pretty good

Default I'm not real smart, Monkey, but...

How does one troll herring through the ice...???

Talking With a chainsaw

Use a chainsaw to cut a trough about 8" wide and as long as the area you want to troll. Most snowmachine tracks are 15" wide, so you have 3.5" of track on each side of the trough. Rig the herring as you would troling for silvers. Straddle the trough with your skiis and have your buddy sit backwards holding the pole and keep it throttled down to about 3.5-4 mph. Don't cut the trough in a circle as the center will come loose and float around in the middle...could move enough so that you won't be able to straddle the trough and everyone will get wet.

Default No offense, guys, really...

But are you serious? I'm feeling like this is gonna be one hell of a put-on... "There goes IceKing with a 5-foot-long Poulan cutting troughs in the ice for 'trolling' again..."

Default Just havin fun!

I was bored and it just came out so natural like!! What I know as trolling herring is herring that is frozen and kept apart from another herring in order to preserve the integrity of the scales on the individual fish. Usually when you buy them, they are on a styrofoam tray like your steaks from Carrs are. You can also buy them in different sizes. I may be off track here, but that's what I know as trolling herring when referring to a product and not an activity.

On the other hand, if you try that chainsawing a trough thing, let me know how it works out!!

I mean the bait trolling herring, as in herring meant for trolling

Default Yeah, I know...

But it sounded like a hell of a new option for your sno-go. "Dual 5ft Poulans spaced EXACTLY 8" apart as a tow-behind rig, prepping the lake of your choice for trolling herring..."

I'll let you all know how it works out...thanks for the help one and all!

IceKing02

Default hahaha

Eggy, i just read your post and could not stop laughing. i guess it might have something to do with the 7&7's i just had but that is funny

Here is another way to fish during the winter, 112 ten inch holes to facilitate a good cast.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post

Here is another way to fish during the winter, 112 ten inch holes to facilitate a good cast.

TSS
    You've gotta' be kidding me....lol
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 10-23-2007 at 19:17. Reason: language

Default Don't tell me...

...that I've got to go out and get painted up like "Ace" in order to get ready for trolling...I'm outta here!

IceKing02

Default Trolling for pike without a snow machine.

Eskimos do this with a net, but it could be done with line.
    Drill a hundred foot series of holes, three feet apart, in a line; hole by hole snake a line under the ice until you have reached the last hole. Bring the far end back over the surface of the ice to meet the other end, and hook swivels on these ends. Attach a T-shaped line in between the two ends with a 3-6 foot dangle and a weight on the bottom with a swivel tied a foot above it. Hook a rigged herring on a leader to this swivel, and drop it down the hole. Now run to the far hole and begin to pull fairly briskly until the herring comes up the hole, then run like hell to the first hole and do it all over again. Repeat until you catch a pike, then change your bait and start all over.

(all this is, of course, tongue-in-cheek)

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    ...that I've got to go out and get painted up like "Ace" in order to get ready for trolling...I'm outta here!

IceKing02

Check out the new signature photo just for you.

Fish ON!!
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Fish some dead bait (herring) on tip-ups. Big pike prefer dead bait on the bottom. I like to put a button (one with a pearl-bluish shine) on the line just above the leader. Or do some jigging (bucktails or spoons) with a dead herring.

A Brief side note. Back in Michigan we used to use a old chain saw to cut a large hole in the ice for spear fishing for pike and sturgeon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast