Thread: Help an Okie!

Default Help an Okie!

Hello all. We are new here to Alaska - missionaries at a church camp near Big Lake - Camp Maranatha. My son and I were big waterfowlers in OK. He is 13, and I need to get him out for a couple of hunts. We can go during the week. Looking for a decent place we can wade to - no boat, sold it in OK prior to moving up, and will get one next spring prior to fishing season.

Can we get some advice/directions to get into some shooting? We shot about 200 ducks over our 1 yr old black lab last season in OK, and she is going stir crazy.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

The only place I know of that you can wade to around here is the palmer hay flats. It is starting to freeze over so there isn't much time left in the season. Hopefully the weather stays the way it is over the next week. The thing about the hayflats is, make sure you scout it out first during the daytime. There are miles and miles of marsh land out there and easy to get lost. But there is some really good hunting out there if you find a good spot.

Default Directions

Sorry to have to ask this, but how do I get there? Where to even start to scout - any suggested roads to go down, etc. I would be coming from Wasilla. Guess this shows how little I know about the area right now - but soon to change.

I sent you a private message, let me know if you got it or not