Thread: directions to jim creek.

Default directions to jim creek.

I beleive I cross the knick bridge of the old glenn. but after that where do I go.

I have 4x4 truck but know wheeler and plan to walk.

can some one help?

Turn right to go to the dragstirp, either the first or second right past the drags has a large dirt parking area and a trail. Drive on back.

Default thanks

thanks I know where that is.

is there a trail for my truck or is it hoof it from there?

You can drive a truck all the way to the glacier some 25 ish miles each way if I remember correctly. Of course passage all depends on the water crossings etc. No problems getting as far as Jim Creek though. I have seen cars in that far.

How does gettin' to the glacier work??

I'd love to go back there and check it out, but don't really have any idea where it is...

Jon

A trip to the glacier in a truck isn't for just ANY truck. There are some mud bogs that will eat you for lunch depending on the water levels. Also, don't try it if you like your paint job. It is a 48 mile round trip and a lot of fun on a wheeler. In a truck it is pretty slow going and doesn't always go well .

You can make the first several miles in an average truck if the Jim creek crossing doesn't get you right off the bat. The Jim creek sand can be really ugly sometimes and with stock road tires it will suck you in quickly.

Best bet is to hunt the first mile while you are in the trees. Once you get out to the Knik the trees change and there aren't as many birds. I'd just park in the lot and walk near the road just inside the treeline.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

AKmud is right, the trail isn't just for anyone or any truck all the time and is best traveled with others imo at least if you intend to go further than Jim Creek. It is a nice ride on a wheeler and very scenic, but the dust can be miserable if its too dry.

Default cant miss jims creek...

...just follow the idiots
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

Default Follow the idiots and...

shell casings, garbage and abandoned vehicles also lead the way!

Even the dumb birds are smart enough to stay away from the main access areas of jim creek maybe if you go in to some of the other drainages back there but I didn't see anything out there earlier this week when I went.