Thread: Harvest Report Information

Default Harvest Report Information

AKF&G has been collecting a lot of very specific information for a very long time, on the Harvest Reports. Do any of you know why that info was selected to be asked and why?
    Is this data treated to be "priveledged" or "public"?
    Does F&G actually compute the data over many years for basis of their decisions or what?
    Is that data on specific locals available to us for the asking?
    What do you feel would be better info to submit for their use?
    As always I have more questions than answers, but I only asked this one time of a F&G employee, when measuring sheep horns, and his only response was a foolish grin. That led me to believe these guys and gals have a lot of good data at their fingertips. Do we have access to the same?

Default Look

Look on the F&G website, they have Harvest data available.

Personal information is kept private, but summary data are available. It's collected to monitor population status when census data are impractical, but of course, it's up to the individual biologist to put forth the effort to tear into the data. I presume that's what the "foolish grin" was all about.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Cazador View Post
    Personal information is kept private, but summary data are available. It's collected to monitor population status when census data are impractical, but of course, it's up to the individual biologist to put forth the effort to tear into the data. I presume that's what the "foolish grin" was all about.

Rick
    Huh?
    Why then don't they ask you how many animals you saw with respect to species and sex? "Population status" can no way be determined by the questions we are asked. That would be good data for them to collect from those going afield. It should be a question on the form. The report is dated and I very much doubt the data collected is useful or used to manage game populations.
    Summaries of harvest by unit are indeed available, very obscure at best. What about the "Specific Location and Nearest Landmark" information they garner from each of us? What is that data used for, and can we obtain it?
    What about mode of access question? Can we find out how many use boat, plane, foot, etc to gain access to specific locations? Can we find out if X number of hunters employed commercial services or not? They collect the data, how can we extract it?

Default Find

Most of that data is available on the website, spend some time and look around.