Thread: Blood Tracking Light???

Question Blood Tracking Light???

I tried posting this question on the Outdoor Gear section a week ago and got no hits. I know Bowhunters all have to have skills in blood tracking and I am always looking for ways to improve my skills. I recently have been seeing different LED lights that claim to be an aid in blood tracking. At first it was any red LED light...now it seems to be growing. I was in a store that had an ad for a Gerber and *Look and Compare* display. I was wondering if anyone has tried any of these? Are they strictly for use at night, or do they also help in the daylight? Strictly a gimmick? Any input is appreciated, as any comments on person experience. Thanks in advance.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default Light

I got one of the Gerber lights for my birthday but have not used it. I was going to return it for a more useful item (my opinion). If anyone has used this I would also be intersted in the performance.

A Friend That Raises Dogs For Blood Tracking And Has Written Books On Tracking With Dogs Had Tried One Of The Earlier Ones Not Sure If It Was Gerber. Not Sure If Newer Ones Are Better. His Comment Was Not To Bother Wasting Your Money. If You Go To United Blood Trackers Web Site You Could Probably Look Up His Comments. There Is An Organization In Anchorage That Has Dogs To Help Track, Alaska Game Search, They Have A Web Site Also.
    Old Style Coleman Gas Lantern Works Well!
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    A Friend That Raises Dogs For Blood Tracking And Has Written Books On Tracking With Dogs Had Tried One Of The Earlier Ones Not Sure If It Was Gerber. Not Sure If Newer Ones Are Better. His Comment Was Not To Bother Wasting Your Money. If You Go To United Blood Trackers Web Site You Could Probably Look Up His Comments. There Is An Organization In Anchorage That Has Dogs To Help Track, Alaska Game Search, They Have A Web Site Also.
    Old Style Coleman Gas Lantern Works Well!
    I agree with you AK NIMROD for the LED and the dogs.
    In France where I live, any responsible bowhunter has the phone number of an "Blood Tracker" with him.
    But our small country allows that.
    For you it is more difficult, if not impossible to use that technic to recover an animal.

Sorry if my English is not correct but i'm a bloody French.

If you take a propane lantern you will get the best blood tracking light around. It causes the phosporus in the blood to glow. Works like a champ on whitetails. I don't know about up here in the north. Something about the wavelength of light the propane lets off. Have used it several times to track when I lost the trail with regular lights.

Quote Originally Posted by stratofisher View Post
    If you take a propane lantern you will get the best blood tracking light around. It causes the phosporus in the blood to glow. Works like a champ on whitetails. I don't know about up here in the north. Something about the wavelength of light the propane lets off. Have used it several times to track when I lost the trail with regular lights.
    I hope I don't sound dense, but is this trick only at night, or does it work in the daytime? That is, if it glows, can you see the glow in sunlight??? I would assume not, but wanted to ask anyway. Thanks for your patience.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I so agree with stratofisher,all my blood tracking has been at night,thats the best time to see the blood glow.Granted all that night tracking was from shooting animals late in the afternoon near sunset.Daniel

The propane glow is a night only thing. During the day regular ole tracking seems to work best looking at twigs, blood and such. It is night tracking that you really need the help. Propane just works much better than a flashlight.

Wink

I've tracked hundreds of whitetails, at night you can"t beat a Coleman lanturn. If your back in the sticks, and your using a led headlamp take it off your head, get it far from you eyes. Blood on brush, some grasses can be hard to see at night, go slow, keep checking back, to try to find a direction of travel.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Quote Originally Posted by LongHunter7 View Post
    I've tracked hundreds of whitetails, at night you can"t beat a Coleman lanturn. If your back in the sticks, and your using a led headlamp take it off your head, get it far from you eyes. Blood on brush, some grasses can be hard to see at night, go slow, keep checking back, to try to find a direction of travel.

Try being colorblind LOL!!!!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default don't work

those lights like so many other products; cover scents, gore-tex, scent-lok, and extenze, don't work. gimmicks.

Tried many "advertised" miracle lights but none have performed better than the old coleman latern. Just heard that blue IED lights work well as well but haven't ever tried them...