Thread: Kudos to BigAgnes

Thumbs up Kudos to BigAgnes

A year ago last summer I bought a Big Agnes mummy insulated air core sleeping pad.
    Insulated Air Core
    I really like it. It takes 10 breaths to blow it up and has 2.5 inch tubes. It is rated to 15 degrees. It has primaloft in it. Super comfy, rocks disapear. Anyway, I used it this summer and then in September moose hunting. In sept. it started to loose air at night. I figured I had a pinhole leak. Well, I did the bathtub thing trying to find a leak, nothing, replaced the o-ring in the valve with the replacement that came with it, nothing. I called Big Agnes and they just said ship it back. So I did. A couple weeks later a get a brand new one in the mail. No questions asked. It does have what seems to be an upgraded brass valve and the material is different. It doesn't seem as slippery.

So, Kudos to BigAgnes for standing behind thier products.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Thanks Snyd.....I was considering something along that line ....Vern

If you buy your gear from REI you can just take it back and exchange it or get a refund. I had the same problem with my Thermarest Prolite 4 on a caribou hunt, when I got back into town I took it to REI and they exchnaged it for me, no questions asked.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    If you buy your gear from REI you can just take it back and exchange it or get a refund. I had the same problem with my Thermarest Prolite 4 on a caribou hunt, when I got back into town I took it to REI and they exchnaged it for me, no questions asked.
    No REI here in Fairbanks. Also, the pad was a year and a half old and had been used numerous times.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default can you give a comparison for us

Hey Perry - How does the Big Agnes compare to ThermaRest? Price and comfort and weight? I looked at the Cabela's offshoot and a big thumbs down on those. TermaRest is comfy...but too many bucks for these bones!

-Joshua

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    Hey Perry - How does the Big Agnes compare to ThermaRest? Price and comfort and weight? I looked at the Cabela's offshoot and a big thumbs down on those. TermaRest is comfy...but too many bucks for these bones!

-Joshua
    It's thicker. You have to blow it up. The material seems a little more slippery. Depending on which models you compare they weigh about the same. I think they pack down to about the same size. Again that would depend on the exact model. The BigAgnes at 2.5 inches of airfilled tubes is much more comfortable to me. You know that one sharp rock that always seems to jab you and keep you awake? It disapears with the BigAgnes AirCore... Can you tell I like it?? I think it cost me about 65 bucks.

Snyd-After reading your posts this summer I looked into and bought a Big Agnes Insulated Aircore pad. I have shown the Big Agnes Insulated Aircore pad to a few long time sheep hunters and they all have that shocked look on their face the first time they see it. "It packs up how small?" "How lite is it?" "It only costs what?" "I'm getting one!" It's amazing when stuff comes up like this and we can go for years without knowing about it.

My Big Agnes Insulated Aircore pad has the brass valve also. I would recommend the Big Agnes Insulated Aircore pad to anyone.

Can you tell I like mine too?

Off topic, but I have a hard time understanding why hunters spend money at places like REI. My opinion.

Ya I got mine at SW here in Fairbanks. I went in last week to see if they ever get any BigAgnes tents. The guy said they aren't carying BA stuff anymore. They don't have any pads anymore and had one bag left. Too bad. I'd like to see a MadHouse tent in person. BigAgnes Madhouse 2

What was their reason for not carrying BA anymore?

Default Looking at a BA 3-Season as well!

I have not seen one in person and I would like to before making the purchase. They look to be a lightweight tent, it if is good construction, I would like to pick one up for backpacking!

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    What was their reason for not carrying BA anymore?
    He didn't know. All those kinds of decisions get made at the corporate level. The local guys just stock the shelves with what shows up. They can see if items are listed in thier computer but never even know for sure when they will get them. I ran into this with some new IMR powder last winter. Finally one day I went in and it was on the shelf.

Thumbs up It's because it's a Colorado Product

Synd,
    I am glad that they took care of you.
    Seriously, though... it's because it's a Colorado product (Steamboat Springs). Most companies, I have noticed, that are from Colorado is because they are VERY proud of their product and if something goes south with anything, they will replace it immediately. http://www.bigagnes.com/about.php <--see?
    My husband and I are strong supporters of BigAgnes as well. I really like their tents, but their sleeping bags don't have a cold enough rating for Alaska.
    Lurker.

Default agree, now let's keep it made there!

Good point, but I wish they would stick to Colorado rather than send overseas. I'm not referring to BA, as I am not sure about them, but I had a pair of Crocks shoes for working on boats they were sooooo comfy and lightweight and I could slip them on and off and they wouldn't mar up the glass. Ordered another pair and not so comfy, fit not so well, heavier...closer look and they were made in CHINA AARGH!! That makes me mad!

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    Good point, but I wish they would stick to Colorado rather than send overseas. I'm not referring to BA, as I am not sure about them, but I had a pair of Crocks shoes for working on boats they were sooooo comfy and lightweight and I could slip them on and off and they wouldn't mar up the glass. Ordered another pair and not so comfy, fit not so well, heavier...closer look and they were made in CHINA AARGH!! That makes me mad!

The BigAgnes pad is made in China. That's another difference between it and the Thermarest. Thermarest is made in the USA. Not sure about the other BA stuff. Probably is though.