Thread: Ruffies the other white meat

Thumbs up Ruffies the other white meat

Headed out early A.M. since the weather man lied. No snow. So headed out south of Fairbanks decided just to hunt Ruffies. Saw several Spruce hens but passed. Found a big burn out area that had a good Ruffie population jumped at leat 14 but only managed 3. By the time I heard them flapping out of the brush and saw them where out of range. It was a nice day overall. The birds seem to be on the south facing sides of the hills where there is no snow.

We went out Saturday as well, only we went the other way ...up the Steese past Chatanika. Only busted (and shot) one bird, but it was a ruffie. It was pretty windy up there and a little more snow than down here. I think the wind had everything hunkering down and out of the weather. The one bird we got was shortly before sundown when the wind slowed for a little while ...it just came waltzing out of the woods right in front of us. Lots of rabbit tracks too, but no rabbits. Heading out again today but to a different area... my secret hot spot that always has lots of birds.

Brian

Default Wind

I was on the leward side of the wind.

My "hot spot" didn't have diddly squat in it today. One spruce hen ...my wife insisted, so I shot it. It's getting late in the season to be wanting to eat those though. Got a rabbit too. Not one ruffie in site. I dunno... the cranberry patches are under an inch of snow and so is everything else obviously ...the birds vaporized. No clue. We've got a lot in the freezer now and enough rabbits for a full-family meal as well so I may call it quits for small game for this year... maybe

Brian

Default Going Back

The weather looks good for this weekend so I think that I will try the area I was in again.

Did you perchance notice what the birds were eating? The ones that we spotted yesterday (and shot one) were in stands of mixed birch and aspen, eating tons of rose hips and a few high-bush cranberries. I haven't seen any near the mixed woods/cranberry patches that I've been hunting... I think they've switched their diet now that the low-bush berries are under a bit of snow. Got about a dozen in the freezer right now but we'd like to get a few more.

Brian

Default Eating

Nothing was really under snow where I was walking. I was beating brush and walking trails. It looked like they where eating the high berries.

Ron

Thanks. Looks like I'll be heading out and doing some hunting again this weekend. A guy at work who is a pretty avid grouse hunter gave me some hints on where he goes too. It's all good.

Brian