Thread: Folks I may need help...

Default Folks I may need help...

I truly want to keep my GSP but momma has her up for sale.I just dont have the time to learn how and work properly with for the training she really needs.I'd hate to see such a dog as this waste away as a house dog,but what I'd like to know is there anyone in Alaska that specifically trains Pointers? Daniel

For what reason does momma have her up for sale?

I really don't know how to respond without some more direction on the reasons behind your or her decision.
    Is it behavioral issues? or other? your time restraints?
    Keep in mind that you still need to commit some time to learn even what the pro will be training your dog. Even after your dog is trained you will have to maintain the obedience and do practice drills to keep your dogs training up to par.

I don't specifically train pointers but I have trained about 20 or so here.
    English pointer, English and Irish Setters, German short hair, Visla, Wiemariner, Wire hair, Brittany and a Springer come to mind of those that came through for training other than retrievers.

Another source to check out would be the Arctic Bird Dog Association.

Reasoning to be more specific is that we just lost our oldest Lab and Im still dealing with the pain of that,and my brother went and ordered this Pointer from S.Dakota and flew up here with her as his dog.Well he ended up giving us this dog as well,at a time that I dont want another as of yet as my two labs are still young,but I cant say no so I was going to train this dog etc...
    Obedience and Behavioral are not an issue,Ive come to love this dog alot.So the wife see's the dog as a waste of her talent If I dont train her like I train my labs,even thru the winter we work with them.The thing is I just dont know how to go about the training with a Pointer and or go about it,let alone If I am doing things right or in essence damaging her in training.
    I suppose Im stuck between a rock and a hard place.Anyhow thanks so much for the comments and pointing me towards the Arctic Gun Dogs....Daniel

Default Keep Her--

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    I've come to love this dog alot. ....Daniel

IMHO, this sounds like this is the most important part.

kingfisherktn

Your not in a hard place. You can do anything if you put your mind to it.

First part of training is easy. Obedience is obedience no matter what breed.
    Once obedience is done then you can start field work. You would train a pointer the same as you did your retrievers for upland. Except you want to encourage and bring out the natural pointing instinct. Teach them to use there nose by using scented bumpers or better yet planted clipped wing birds. Let them sniff them out on a long line. A good bred pointer will start to slow down and lower it's head and straighten or raise its tail as it gets close to the bird. You initially watch for this and help to stop the dog by using the long line. You say "WHOA" when doing so. You then mold the young dog into the pointing position if it is just standing there. They are so locked on at this point they aren't going to budge. You at this point would have another person flush the bird. You will then teach the dog to be steady to flush and not break.
    You will do this for as many lessons as it takes.
    Once the dog is gun conditioned then you can have your flusher actually shoot the bird then release your dog for the retrieve.
    Later you can teach your pointer to "back" another pointer, but that can be discussed later.
    Remember all the training is pretty much the same from obedience, intro to birds, FF, and field work. You just want to fine tune the pointing instinct to where it works for you. Just simply condition the dog to do it every time.

Kingfisher....thanks.
    Hey Wetlands thanks as always.It dawned on me when you said that about the clipped wing.Now would it help out to put grouse scent on the wing and hide it just under the snow?
    Ive got two acres here thats wooded and I can hide the wing anywhere.I cant do the two person training so Its just me working the dogs,but I can make do as always.Im gonna go try that scent on the wing now anyhow and try it.Never hurts I suppose to try? Daniel

Daniel, you need to train "mom". Just dont tell her I said that! LOL!~
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Daniel, you need to train "mom". Just dont tell her I said that! LOL!~
    ummmmm! you trying to get me in trouble? And you know training them is hard now-a-days.I cant train her to rub my feet,bring dinner to me on the couch or be quite when watching Monday night football etc..etc..etc...Either way I'll keep momma as my house pet just dont tell her I said all that Hahahhahaaha! Daniel

Daniel -- that would get you in deep doo doo with your wife!! There are some local pointer folks who I'd hope would be willing to help you train. They had to start somewhere too, just like everyone else with any kind of dog did. Send me a PM & will give you a couple names to try.

Karen